Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,203

1 members and 3,202 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: not using hide?

Banned
    Thanks

not using hide?

So i came home and checked on my new baby and saw this:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u.../100_00391.jpg

That make sense to anyone? i can understand why she would be on one side and not the other due to heat reasons, but why outside the hide?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: not using hide?

Those are perfect "type" hides, but may be a wee bit too big for him. This is the next to the smallest one that they sell at Walmart, and they are a little shorter than what you have:

Also check your temps to make sure that they aren't too warm inside the hide. I don't see any thermometer inside your enclosure monitoring the temps - see how mine is on top of the probe inside her warm side hide?

Thanks

Well, the hides look like they're too big for her. She's only a little girl, and probably doesn't really feel secure in the hides. BPs like their hides to be touching them on all sides, the more cramped, the better.

If she hasn't been with you for long, she could also be acclimating--my boy didn't use his hides for a week or so after I brought him home, as he was still getting used to things. Eventually, he found his hides
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

Banned
    Thanks

I've had her for two days , and there are gauges there, just not shown in the pic. Even if the hides were too big, wouldnt being covered up some be better then not covered up at all? Tomorrow is my day off from work, so getting much smaller hides for her wont be a problem.

The reason i was so shocked i my male whose 7 months went straight for his hides once I found out how to properly setup a tank and he rarely comes out. Then her, I check on her and BAM! there she be....was like....uhhh, wtf?

But if you all say go smaller, then smaller it is! ((Guess size really does matter huh?....been lied to so many times....))

Thanks

my boy didnt like his wooden hide so I got him the tree and now hes in there all the time!! lol hes barely on the hot side ever! i think he just loves the tree. cuz the temps are good on both sides all the time.
    Dean

1.0 Normal Bp -King

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEyes
    I've had her for two days , and there are gauges there, just not shown in the pic.
    Those pet store dial guages? Toss them and buy a good digital thermometer at Walmart for $12

Even if the hides were too big, wouldnt being covered up some be better then not covered up at all? Tomorrow is my day off from work, so getting much smaller hides for her wont be a problem.
    If they aren't touching her from all sides, she may be feeling more suface area touching her crammed into that corner, instead of inside the hide. Some ball pythons even "hide" in their water dish if their regular hides are too big. The sensation of the water touching them on all sides feels more secure to them.

The reason i was so shocked i my male whose 7 months went straight for his hides once I found out how to properly setup a tank and he rarely comes out. Then her, I check on her and BAM!
    I guarantee, she's not feeling secure in the hides you're offering her. If you are using dial guages, it's also likely that your temps are off and you don't know it.

Banned
    Thanks

I picked these up at my pet shop and are what are being used in her tub, no way would i use those worthless stick on gauges, i these more cause the read outs are outside the tub:

Coolside readout:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...1/coolside.jpg

Warmside readout:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...1/warmside.jpg

Yes the warm side is low in that pick, I just got done moving some stuff around the probe was outside the tub for a few min. Right now it reads 92.4 and climbing.
    Last edited by SnakeEyes; 04-23-2007 at 09:14 PM.