Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,645

0 members and 1,645 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Crocs on the rebound!

Quote Originally Posted by djets1989
    i think it ment only 2000 breeding females, but hey thats just my thought, i cant believe they didnt mention steve in that article, with all his sole efforts!
    Steve Irwin focused his attention on Saltwater crocs Frank Mazzoti is one of if not the leading American croc expert in the US. Interviewing Frank is like interviewing the american version of steve when it comes to croc experts.

~mike
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold

Thanks

Re: Crocs on the rebound!

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chops N' Corn Bread
    They also can't protect them forever if they aren't spreading out over a larger area. Having too many crocs in one area is a bad idea for the ecosystem just as having too few crocs. Yes they used to be found throughout the area but if they are all staying in these few sanctuaries then they will eventually over populate the area and run out of resources
    Wouldn't you want to protect every species forever? Currently these animals are restricted (not completely) to only a few sactuaries and wildlife parks, and have been removed from the protected list with a confined range. Ecosystems are regulated by keystone/top predators which will reach a certain level and top out or even decrease in numbers until food source and available habitat become available again. It is a constant occilation between predator and prey, and available habitat space and number of individuals. By confining these animals to only a few parks, their numbers will never climb to anything resembleing where they once were. Top predators and keystone species are like umbrellas, when they are protected their habitat is protected which also protects many other species even those which may be in decline but no one has taken the time to study them. If their numbers are allowed to increase more throughout their range, their ecology will be better understood and protection of a multitude of areas will be possible. I have worked with endangered species before. I have been part of a study where they put a highway right through a forestry/wildlife preserve, even the protected areas are under more threat than many people think. So by adding and expanding those protected areas at this point will help to slow developmental pressures in the future.

~mike
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12