Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,453

2 members and 3,451 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

What should one wear to a wedding? (i need women AND men opinions, please!)

Yes, this is a question for everyone, though I'm a female posting this (so, i really, really want to hear women's suggestions!).

My boyfriend and I are stumped. We don't know what to wear to our friends' wedding. It isn't until May 19th, but we like to know in advance so we don't have to stress a day or two before.

It is a step-above casual, but not extremely elegant type wedding. I really like dresses, fancy shirts, skirts and casual jeans. I'm not sure if that information will help you ladies to help me, but I thought I'd throw it in there. I also wear make-up, but only in the form of eye shadow, eye liner and mascara. So, any outfit suggestions, if you could also help me with make-up ideas, that'd be very appreciated, too. Shoes, too. I'm not used to dressing up for occassions like this. My wardrobe consists of mostly black clothing, and I'd rather not wear that to this wedding, so I'm desperately seeking ideas.

My boyfriend is pretty much your typical guy. Jeans and a t-shirt and he's set. Any ideas for him are greatly appreciated, too!

Thanks in advance! Hopefully someone can offer up some help. We're totally clueless when it comes to special occassions, unfortunately.
    ~*Raven*~

Thanks

Re: What should one wear to a wedding? (i need women AND men opinions, please!)

I would find out from the maid/matron of honor or the bride what the wedding couple is wearing. If they are going for the full formal and traditional fancy white gown and tux, then you want to go all out and wear really dressy stuff. Also it sometimes depends on the venue for the wedding....what you would wear to a formal church wedding would be dressier than a wedding held on a beach for instance. I can tell you from being at a lot of outdoor weddings, wearing thin heels just doesn't work (carry another pair of shoes if there is a reception inside later but getting stuck in someone's lawn in your heels just plain sucks LOL).

Other than that I'd avoid black as it's awfully severe and white as it's traditionally only the bride's color. Also my granny's advice for wedding attendance....bring kleenex's for dabbing eyes, a couple of small safety pins because bra straps do snap at the MOST inconvenient times, a couple of packets of handi-wipes (wine stains on your new nice outfit really suck) and a spare pair of nylons (snags suck the most of all). My own advice, wear something a bit layered. Being in a cool church is one thing, dancing in a crowded, overly warm reception venue is another so being able to remove a jacket or suchlike can make you much more comfie.
    ~~Joanna~~

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Something flattering to you, not something that you would wear to a club or something like that.

No black unless it is a evening wedding, but you can pull off a black skirt or pants and a colorful top or something like that.

DO NOT WEAR HOOTCHIE or SLACKER CLOTHING. Not sure if you own any, but that is absolutely inappropriate.

Keep it clean and covered. No boobs sticking out, bellies hanging out, etc...

No jeans, no tee shirts, no sneakers.

Clean, pressed, professional clothing works well. If you have a business suit or blouse skirt set, that should work well for the occasion.

No all white, but you can have a piece here and there if you NEED to.

Basically how I do it is if I can wear it to a professional job interview, that would be appropriate for a semi casual wedding.

Best of luck, and if you take pics, post them!
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks

I think that he should wear some fashionable dress pants and a shirt tucked in; I don't see how he could go wrong with that. No outlandish colors or white/pastel colors, in my opinion!
    Please do not be like one of my trashier relatives; she wore a White, Sequined, SHORT dress to my sister's wedding!! Let me tell you, she was joke material for years afterward for us! (still is.. lol!!)
    I wore a nice black velvet dress with long sleeved jacket to my friend's swanky wedding, and felt at ease. It is always better to dress up too much, than to be dressed down too much!
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    I would find out from the maid/matron of honor or the bride what the wedding couple is wearing. If they are going for the full formal and traditional fancy white gown and tux, then you want to go all out and wear really dressy stuff. Also it sometimes depends on the venue for the wedding....what you would wear to a formal church wedding would be dressier than a wedding held on a beach for instance. I can tell you from being at a lot of outdoor weddings, wearing thin heels just doesn't work (carry another pair of shoes if there is a reception inside later but getting stuck in someone's lawn in your heels just plain sucks LOL).

Other than that I'd avoid black as it's awfully severe and white as it's traditionally only the bride's color. Also my granny's advice for wedding attendance....bring kleenex's for dabbing eyes, a couple of small safety pins because bra straps do snap at the MOST inconvenient times, a couple of packets of handi-wipes (wine stains on your new nice outfit really suck) and a spare pair of nylons (snags suck the most of all). My own advice, wear something a bit layered. Being in a cool church is one thing, dancing in a crowded, overly warm reception venue is another so being able to remove a jacket or suchlike can make you much more comfie.
    You have some great points; I completely agree about the footwear! Heels are really torture devices in my opinion, and you do not need to wear them to look elegant.
    Black Is iffy.. but you could always talk with others who will go, and see what they're wearing..
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Thank you all for the fantastic advice! I'm definitely going to try getting photos online...I don't have a scanner, but I'll attempt getting a photo disc, if my computer will support it. If anything, there will be some shots from my cellphone, at least!

I wasn't planning on wearing black. Not at all. Or skanky clothing. But, thanks for the little "warnings." They are muchly appreciated.

I believe I have found a cute dress...it's a shade of darker blue (not extremely dark, though! it's hard to explain, but very pretty and i'd wear it more often than just this wedding, so it seems like a good investment), would come to my knees so not too short and not so long that I'd trip over it. But, I will definitely get in touch with the maid/matron of honor. Excellent idea!

I have horrid balance, so I'd really make a fool of myself in thin heels. I was thinking either flat dressy shoes, or ones with not-too-tall heels. I wouldn't want to try taking a step and end up falling on my face. It would be very amusing for those around me, though! Hehe.

Anyway, thanks again, all, for the helpful suggestions! I will for sure let everyone know how it goes, what he and I end up wearing, and hopefully will have some photos to share, as well. Can't wait! The bride is a fairly-good friend of mine, and I am so excited that she's getting married. I get overly happy about the smallest of things. *sighs*
    ~*Raven*~