Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,644

3 members and 2,641 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

To get a burm or not, that is the question

Hello all,

I am interested in getting an albino burm. I talked to a guy at the East Bay Vivarium, he told me that when they are young they are nippy. But with time,
    care and handling this habbit would go away. I have no problem with a nippy snake, i have been tagged many a time by snakes, its the whole 15 foot nippy snake i have a problem with. What kind of hubandry does a burm need. Maximum size tank it will need? The size isn't a problem just need to plan for it. Tempatures on the warm side and the cool side? Humidity? Any thing else that i need to know? thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks

Re: To get a burm or not, that is the question

I think that with proper research on the internet, you should have an answer for each and every question that you have asked. There are numerous articles out there to help you with simple husbandry questions, and you should really only create a thread like this if you cannot find an answer, or if you wish to seek first hand accounts.
    Co-owner of a reptile store

Thanks

Please read the following with the most well intended advice... If you have to ask you're probably not quite ready.

I'd recommend finding someone who has a burm, and getting some adult handling under your belt. You should also have a second person that is reliable enough to be around anytime you handle would want to feed or handle him, as a precautionary measure.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks

Thats kinda why I asked here versus the any other place on this forum. I was hoping to get someone that had one to say "hey that is true" or "no, you will have a nippy 15 foot snake regaurdless of what you do". That was my main question. The reason I asked the other stuff was to get an opionion from someone that has burms. and just maybe if they replied they would be able to throw in the other info real quick. I currently have a normall BP. when i first got him i read a book front to back and constantly reffered to it. It stated that one hide was needed, a 75%-85% humidity level was needed at all times, and the temps should be around 80 degrees on the warm side. I have made many adjustments and now have a very happy snake.

I may be takeing this wrongly, but the advice "if you have to ask, your probly not ready" is not very encouraging. DUH! thats why i asked is to get ready. I'm not going down this week and getting a huge snake. I figured on my path of getting to the point that I am ready thought I should stop here. I didnt just come here to waist time. I had a question and got some advice that stated the obvious. I hope that isnt the answer you give everyone.

I was simply tryning to find out as much information as possible before making this decision. I looked online and thought maybe some one on bp.net may have some advice that many people dont learn until they screw up. I do apologize for coming to your forum for giant pythons and asking such a silly question. I hope I didnt waste to much time.
    1.0.0 BP "Monty"
    1.0.0 Burmese Python "Maximus"
    0.1.0 Golden Retriever "Ginger"
    0.0.2 Cichlids

When you know everything, thats when what you didn't know slaps you in the face.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BiG~PUN
    Thats kinda why I asked here versus the any other place on this forum. I was hoping to get someone that had one to say "hey that is true" or "no, you will have a nippy 15 foot snake regaurdless of what you do". That was my main question. The reason I asked the other stuff was to get an opionion from someone that has burms. and just maybe if they replied they would be able to throw in the other info real quick. I currently have a normall BP. when i first got him i read a book front to back and constantly reffered to it. It stated that one hide was needed, a 75%-85% humidity level was needed at all times, and the temps should be around 80 degrees on the warm side. I have made many adjustments and now have a very happy snake.

I may be takeing this wrongly, but the advice "if you have to ask, your probly not ready" is not very encouraging. DUH! thats why i asked is to get ready. I'm not going down this week and getting a huge snake. I figured on my path of getting to the point that I am ready thought I should stop here. I didnt just come here to waist time. I had a question and got some advice that stated the obvious. I hope that isnt the answer you give everyone.

I was simply tryning to find out as much information as possible before making this decision. I looked online and thought maybe some one on bp.net may have some advice that many people dont learn until they screw up. I do apologize for coming to your forum for giant pythons and asking such a silly question. I hope I didnt waste to much time.
    Maybe it would have helped if you had posted this previously. I am not one to attack someone for posting a question, and that was not how my post was intended.

What kind of hubandry does a burm need. Maximum size tank it will need?
    This type of question led me to believe that you did not have the basic information, and I apologize if that was incorrect.

Again, I think that you should really consider finding someone locally that has a burm and getting some experience under your belt.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

There's no need to be so offended or hostile at Christie. It's completely your option to accept or dismiss what she says, but there's no reason to take it so personally.

I don't have, and have never had a giant, so I'm not much help in answering your questions with specific experience...which is why I haven't chimed in sooner. But I can tell you what I know of snakes in general:

Most species can be nippy as babies and grow out of it as they get more mature. Burms are no exception. Gentle, respectful, consitent handling will likely result in a comfortable, laid back mature snake. However, there's also never any guarantees. Each animal is its own individual and there are cantankerous examples of all species. And also...even the most laid back animal can have a bad day. Anyone considering giants needs to remember that and always keep it at the forefront of their minds, both in planning for and in keeping the animal.

I've held some giants....and it is a humbling and awe-inspiring experience. They are not snakes to be taken lightly in any sense of the word...even the most "tame" of them. I hope you'll understand when some people get a little nervous when someone who has one ball python suddenly says "I'd like to get a burm...what should I know?" Whether or not you can truly handle one and are/will be ready for one when the time comes...only YOU can know. But do understand when folks may assume by the light-hearted tone of your questions that maybe you're not looking at all the issues in quite the right light.
    -- Judy

Thanks

I am interested in getting an albino burm. I talked to a guy at the East Bay Vivarium, he told me that when they are young they are nippy. But with time,
    care and handling this habbit would go away. I have no problem with a nippy snake, i have been tagged many a time by snakes, its the whole 15 foot nippy snake i have a problem with.
    My best answer for that is.....Each snake is an individual. Just because 20 people raise a burm that is very docile that doesn't mean that the one you raise will be docile. When getting any reptile you must plan for 'worse case scenario'. What will you do if the animal ends up as an aggressive adult? It is a chance you take with any reptile....just be prepared to deal with it.
    What kind of hubandry does a burm need. Maximum size tank it will need? The size isn't a problem just need to plan for it. Tempatures on the warm side and the cool side? Humidity? Any thing else that i need to know? thanks in advance for your help.
    We have a burm caresheet here on this site in the caresheet section(http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....article&id=16). Maximum cage size? Depends on how big your burm gets. Again, this is a 'worse case scenario' situation. Your burm could top out at 16'; however, it could just as easily grow to 20'. I would say a 'tank' is out of question for an adult burm....because of their size, you will need a custom enclosure or very large manufactured enclosure.

Thanks

"If you have to ask, you're probably not ready" shouldn't be taken with any offense - you shouldn't get a burm without doing research, and that research will let you know if you're ready or not.

Some basic things to consider before buying one:
    1) Do you plan on making a serious commitment to this snake for its entire life? Do you have any "life events" such as moving or going away to college or anything like that on the horizon that would cause you to have to get rid of it? Burms are VERY hard to place, many are euthanized every year by shelters because there are no homes for them.
    2) Do you have the financial ability to house and feed this animal?
    3) Do you have a "buddy" who would be willing to assist during feeding and maintenance?

These are just to name a few. If the answer is not a definitive "yes" to all of these, then the answer is NO, you are NOT ready. Not trying to be discouraging, but its disgusting to see how many of these animals are abandoned time after time by owners that are no longer capable or interested in keeping them.
    -Brad

Thanks

Thank you all for your replies. I do apologize to you Christie, I underatand what you where trying to say. It may have been the original post that made me irritated. I felt like some were upset at my original post, and I took everything in a bad light.

I have cared for many a reptiles in my life mainly snakes. My ball python is my first python. About 2 months ago i got to see and hold (with help) a Burm, ever since then I have been amazed by these creatures. They are impresive and I have been unable to get rid of this desire to have one.

I am home going to college locally. I understand that it is not fair for me to not make such a long term commitment with out being able to provide the appropriate care in the future. I am always outraged by what many people do after getting an animal. I recently made a post about a RTB that was left in front of the pet shop i frequent. It was titled "my rant"

Thanks again for your help. Again christie, my bad.
    1.0.0 BP "Monty"
    1.0.0 Burmese Python "Maximus"
    0.1.0 Golden Retriever "Ginger"
    0.0.2 Cichlids

When you know everything, thats when what you didn't know slaps you in the face.

Thanks

This is kind of late, but unlike Judy I have no experience with Burms. If you only have experience with a Ball Python, could I please beg you to get a Boa first? I'm not saying it is impossible or reckless to go from a BP to a Burm, but I am partial to big snakes as well. I've wanted a Burm for a long time, but I am so glad I decided to move the next step up and get a Boa. He's 5'5" and his strength is out of this world. If I went from a BP to a Burm...I can't even imagine.

I've heard some crazy horror stories from some very experienced Burm keepers. They are great snakes, but demand tremendous amounts of respect and an overall experience with snakes as a whole. If you hate the idea of getting a Boa or something of equal size then please consider, as others have suggested, getting some experience first hand. Learn procedures for feeding and what to do if you are bitten or constricted. It could save your life someday and prevent the rest of the hobby from suffering another "Burm kills/hurts owner" story. Thanks and good luck!
    (Formerly HadesBP18)
    1.0 Spider: Artemas
    1.0 Mojave coming soon!
    0.1 High Contrast Albino coming soon!
    1.1 Pastels: Hyperion and Theia (DSD Pastel girl coming soon!)
    1.0 BCI: Kozma

RIP Kalypso 11/13/13

Lobo Reptiles

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast