Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,336

0 members and 3,336 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball Python's bell is RED

A teenager (17) came by with his BP a few minutes ago. He's had the snake about 2 months. The snake's belly is very RED like the heat source has burned it. He told me he uses something that sticks on the bottom of the aquarium that only has an on/off switch and the heat has cracked the bottom of the aquarium.

SO, I told him to leave the snake with me until my husband can help him get set up correctly.

My husband is sleeping but am I correct in thinking the heat source has burned the snake? If so, what do I do for now? At the moment I am soaking him.

I can take a pic if it you guys want to see what I mean.

Thanks

Re: Ball Python's bell is RED

I don't know much about it but a pic would be helpful...
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks

My camera will not pick up the redness, strange. His belly actually looks better since I am soaking him in water that's not real warm but not cold. He is red all the way to the tip of his tail. I firmly believe this snake is red due to the heat source.

Thanks

That appears to me like the belly is pink, which indicates a shed. Then again I could be mistaken as pictures do tend to skew color. What substrate is the snake on? The heat source needs to be controlled by thermostat or the enclosure needs to be elevated.
    Last edited by Lobo_Reptiles; 04-18-2007 at 12:14 AM. Reason: pic posted!
    (Formerly HadesBP18)
    1.0 Spider: Artemas
    1.0 Mojave coming soon!
    0.1 High Contrast Albino coming soon!
    1.1 Pastels: Hyperion and Theia (DSD Pastel girl coming soon!)
    1.0 BCI: Kozma

RIP Kalypso 11/13/13

Lobo Reptiles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HadesBP18
    That appears to me like the belly is pink, which indicates a shed. Then again I could be mistaken as pictures do tend to skew color. What substrate is the snake on? The heat source needs to be controlled by thermostat or the enclosure needs to be elevated.
    Trust me, its not a pink belly--shed indication. We have many many BP's and I have never seen such as this.

My husband will help this kid get set up correctly probably this weekend. The kid does not have a thermostat, only heat that he cannot control.

I have read some horror stories regarding heat source burns and I'm truly hoping this kid caught it early enough.

Thanks

at least he came in with the snake! he could have just ignored the problem and the snake could have totally crispified itself. Hope all goes well.
    Doris

Thanks

OK...the risk is that the high heat has damaged the belly scales. If the kid cannot afford a Thermostat then at least have him get a reostat (about $20) that will help limit the heat. When setting him up correctly I would recommend you put the snake on soft papertowels. This is the least irritating. Also, bump up the humidity to shed levels 65-70% to keep as much moisture in the scales as possible (just like when you get a sunburn)

Finally he will need to check on the snake daily looking for scale rot. If the scales start to die they will turn brown (neosporin can help at the early stages) but then a vet visit will be needed.

Hopefully you caught this early enough that no damage was done.
    Sean

Thanks

My husband took a look at him this morning and said he agrees with me, it looks like heat source burn. (our snakes have never had this). We've never personally seen a burn but have seen pictures. I don't know why my camera will not capture the redness.

My husband will talk to the kid at some point today and explain in detail to him how he is harming the snake by not having the proper utilities to keep the snake safe. My husband is very angry and upset over this.

I am calling a lady this morning that's dealt with snakes of all types for about 30 years and she will guide me in what to do to help the current situation.

My thoughts are moisture. I've soaked him again this morning.

Thanks for the advice.

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Faith
    My husband took a look at him this morning and said he agrees with me, it looks like heat source burn. (our snakes have never had this). We've never personally seen a burn but have seen pictures. I don't know why my camera will not capture the redness.

My husband will talk to the kid at some point today and explain in detail to him how he is harming the snake by not having the proper utilities to keep the snake safe. My husband is very angry and upset over this.

I am calling a lady this morning that's dealt with snakes of all types for about 30 years and she will guide me in what to do to help the current situation.

My thoughts are moisture. I've soaked him again this morning.

Thanks for the advice.

Moisture can irritate the problem and promote bacteria growth and infection in a wound or burn. Keep the it dry and on dry news paper or paper towels. Apply triple anitbiotic ointment to its belly twice a week as long as no scales are missing and the area isn't draining.

It'll go from this

To this in a shed or two.

Hope this helps
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Thank you very much for this information FF. Your picture looks much like what this snakes belly looks like.

I just spoke with the lady that has much more experience than me and she said the same thing as you have. She also said he should shed it off next shed but until that time keep him on paper towels or newspaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast