Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,202

1 members and 3,201 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Still Not Eating

I've been hesitant to post this, because I've read other posts regarding this and other subjects, and am afraid I'll be attacked on a few of my choices, but oh well, here goes it:

My 3+ year old python isn't eating. He's over 3 feet long, in a 30 gal breeder, temps 80-84 and 89-94, humidity 30-50s (misting to 70s before sheds). (checked with acurite)

He used to be in the living room, right next to the front door, and never had issues eating. The rats were medium, and after older posts, this may be a little large.

A few months back, right after xmas? He was moved into the kitchen, on a higher buffet (than the low coffee table he was on). He'd eaten there, maybe a few times and hasn't eaten since. He had some new props, new caves, new water bowels, so I assumed he was adjusting, and just kept trying every week, same usual feeding day.

Here's some of the things we've gone through with it:
    20-30 minutes observed. Aggressive white rat, he even scared me. I put him in a med plastic waste can (was in my office) with food and water, tried a week later, same result. Eventually escaped (those suckers can jump!). Trapped and tossed.
    Second rat, smaller, more docile, same result. Used a 10 gal+ fish tank with something over the top (but admittedly, had 1 inch gaps on side of top). Also escaped, trapped, and tossed.
    Third, used hamster cage to keep in between feeds. After 3rd week, let it go in the woods. Felt bad hamster got his housing cut in third (its a second smaller cage attatched to the 2 story one).
    Fourth buy, small rat. Same results, leave in for about an hour, keeping an eye on them back and forth. 2nd try, tried for an hour, then left in overnight (I know, I know, just asking for it). Snake and rat were checked in the morning. Rat seemed tired/labored breathing. W/in 30 minutes, he had died. Not sure if he was bitten/squeezed or just unhealthy. Weirded me out.

This week, we got a mouse (hoping smaller = more edible), and I have rigged the small aquarium for him so hopefully he will not be escaping like a few of the others in between attempts.

But I'm concerned how long I should keep trying before I hit the vet. Osiris is still plumpish, drinking, even stalking these meals, but seems to chicken out if they come near him. I've put them in a separate box before too. They more often than not, end up napping together.

Bedding has been changed, cypress back to aspen, no signs of mites, no wheezing/drooling etc.

Any tips? Am I missing something here? I check the temperatures obsessively. Keep up the patience til he 'catches up' to all his other perhaps too large of feedings? Try moving to another room (haha there IS no other room...), cover tank, play soothing music, light candles, and pray?

Thanks
    and please, no yelling
    I was desparate in leaving the mouse in overnight.

Thanks

Re: Still Not Eating

My bp was eating small to decent size rats regularly then stopped completely. Now she will only eat mice. You could try a mouse but then it may be hard to get her to eat rats again, my girl still wont touch rats.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jenakle
    He used to be in the living room, right next to the front door, and never had issues eating. The rats were medium, and after older posts, this may be a little large.
    That sounds like your problem. He's probably just full from eating so many large meals and is now taking a break. Wait a couple weeks and try again with a rat pup. You can leave that in his cage overnight without worrying about the rat biting your snake.

Keep handling down to a minimum until he starts to eat again. When you do feed him, wait until after dusk and place the pup over his cage in a paper bag for about 20 minutes before offering it to him.

When he does start to eat again, don't feed him anything larger than a weaned or small rat.

Most importantly... relax! Ball Pythons will test your patience. As long as he's healthy and not losing weight there's no need to worry.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moespeaking
    My bp was eating small to decent size rats regularly then stopped completely. Now she will only eat mice. You could try a mouse but then it may be hard to get her to eat rats again, my girl still wont touch rats.
    I don't care what he eats as long as he eats (and stays healthy). So maybe I should try even smaller mice (this one was just a hair smaller than his usual rats).

Thanks

I am not an expert, but I have found that if Fluffy is off his diet that I take a F/T mouse and warm it up with some hot tap water. Then I take a bamboo tongs and wave the mouse right in front of his nose. I some times have to chase fluffy around as he tries to get away from the mouse. Then I leave the mouse on a piece of paper towel. Usually he eats it in a few hours. If it is still there in the morning I flush it. He has never gone more that three weeks without eating...

I know it worries us humans, but from what I have been told it is really no big deal for them to be off food for upto three months!

Best wishes to a healthy and eating snake.
    -Akiva

1.0 Norm BP - Fluffy
    0.1 Wife - Nina
    1.1 Children - Sam, Aura

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AkivaSmith
    I am not an expert, but I have found that if Fluffy is off his diet that I take a F/T mouse and warm it up with some hot tap water. Then I take a bamboo tongs and wave the mouse right in front of his nose. I some times have to chase fluffy around as he tries to get away from the mouse. Then I leave the mouse on a piece of paper towel. Usually he eats it in a few hours. If it is still there in the morning I flush it. He has never gone more that three weeks without eating...

I know it worries us humans, but from what I have been told it is really no big deal for them to be off food for upto three months!

Best wishes to a healthy and eating snake.
    Thanks, I'm trying not to worry too much. And when I first 'adopted' him I tried the f/t, he was even less interested, but yeah, that may be an option too...one that doesnt move cant scare him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus
    That sounds like your problem. He's probably just full from eating so many large meals and is now taking a break. Wait a couple weeks and try again with a rat pup. You can leave that in his cage overnight without worrying about the rat biting your snake.

Keep handling down to a minimum until he starts to eat again. When you do feed him, wait until after dusk and place the pup over his cage in a paper bag for about 20 minutes before offering it to him.

When he does start to eat again, don't feed him anything larger than a weaned or small rat.

Most importantly... relax! Ball Pythons will test your patience. As long as he's healthy and not losing weight there's no need to worry.
    Thanks! Scenting is usual, and have been lacking on the handling lately. I do, however, clear the cage of extra props (hide he's not using, extra dish, logs, plants) and I'm wondering if I shouldn't...
    And yes, I'm going to try and find a provider with very young rats. I can't seem to find them small enough around here. Maybe its time to start breeding those...