Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,271

1 members and 3,270 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Thnks To everyone who helped me!

Yes, finally My little guy has eaten after two weeks of being home. I'm so happy and anxious about handling him now. He ate two pinkies in his cage but next time i am gonna fed him in a different area. But i am so happy that he ate i know he is comfortable now. all i wanna learn now is some good handling tips and tricks from you guys. i plan on having handling sessions with him on tuesday. When i pick him up he does not even ball up any more, just tense his body up, what does that mean?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Thnks To everyone who helped me!

I'm very glad he ate for you! What sort of pinks did you feed? Mice or rats?

If he ate successfully in his own cage, there's really no reason at all to feed him anywhere else. Moving him into a new environment just to eat can often backfire, causing stress and fear and make him uninterested in eating at all.

As for handling...best to wait 48 hours after he ate. So if he fed yesterday, then Tuesday would be ok. Just gently scoop him up and be sure to support his body. Don't "dangle" him any more than you have to. Keep the ambient atmosphere quiet and calm while you do so...no running kids or jumping dogs or blaring music, etc. And just hold him for a few minutes. If he feels bold, let him explore your hands and arms and shoulders or whatever, but don't try to force it. Keep the handling sessions to around 5-10 minutes, and not every day, until he's eating consistently week to week for you.

Hope that helps some!
    -- Judy

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Thnks To everyone who helped me!

glad things are working out!

for handling, I generally place him in my lap and let him explore a bit on the couch or chair. If he starts heading in a direction you don't want him to go, the best way I have found to get him to change direction is to bring your hand from BELOW him to under his chin/neck and then gently move your hand while supporting his neck to a new location. never bring your hand in from above or directly in front of his head - this will scare him and he will rapidly retract his head and stop moving for a brief period. If you bring your hand from below him he should take it in stride and use it for support.

he will use your hands as leverage and support while moving around. he may grab your finger with his tail, etc. it's cool!

also, be aware that ball pythons are ground dwellers. this translates into 'doesn't really understand gravity!' I found that mine would often put himself in a position where he could fall...so be very active in making sure he doesn't! Over time he will learn to climb and grasp your arms, etc much better, but it takes practice so you should always assume he is in danger of falling when off the ground.

that's my experience so far....I am still noobish so take it for what it's worth
    enjoy!