Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,280

2 members and 3,278 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: 1/2'' hardwire cloth too big for ASF!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ECLARK
    Already decieded to feed them all off, they are not the solution I was looking for. and never any fun to work with. my regular rats... you can reach in and pick them up by the belly and they are a pleasure to work with.
    Well I can certainly understand...too bad I don't live closer and I would take them off your hands for ya.
    Sean

Thanks

I've never had babies eaten, and mine often have large communal piles of young, 30 or more at a time of various ages.

Sounds like either overcrowding or a diet issue. Or they don't have nest boxes. I've heard of them killing young if they aren't provided with nest or hide boxes so they feel safe.

Mine are all 1.3 or 1.4 in 10 or 15 gal size tanks and lab tubs.

Thanks

I don't think I've run into these problems but would be good for you folks to document this on the asf site for others. (sorry not an intentional plug just trying to keep data easily accessible). I am using 1/2" on my tubs but I don't have a "rack" setup like I think some of you do. I am using larger tubs that are taller and haven't had any escapes that I know of. Rodent traps and a very O.C. Jack Russel Terrier would let me know if I had escapees Anyway I do have food water holders hanging from the lids that are made of the same mesh but I never see hoppers/weanlings able to squeeze through.

I think with the breeding groups most of us are finding that certain numbers work along with a relative space/territory. I started with 1.2 and left the male in and have had no problems. Now I primarily I will put 1 male in with groups of 3 females until I can visibly see a pregnant female. The male is then removed and the 3 females left together. This seems to be working for me and all females help raise litter(s). With this method though sometimes its a bit of a game to reintroduce males as the females can become aggressive. There are general methods of reintroduction that I use that usually work. One thing to note is that I would not ever recommend introducing a new male into a breeding group of females unless he is full grown and somewhat established in his primary group.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

I have been breeding them for about a year. I go with 1.3 and leave them all together until weaning. I have never lost a baby that I have noticed at least. I love them. I have quite a few female BP's that are gravid that would not have even been close to breeding size without the ASF's.
    John Vandegrift

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ECLARK
    Already decieded to feed them all off, they are not the solution I was looking for. and never any fun to work with. my regular rats... you can reach in and pick them up by the belly and they are a pleasure to work with.
    Rock on brother! I see no reason to work with the nasty little critters. So far I have seen nothing that would make me buy ASF rats. I like my plain old vanilla rats. They are a pleasure to handle, wonderful mothers and easy to work with.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123