Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,170

1 members and 3,169 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Few questions on tarantulas and breeding.

I'm getting a pair of rose hair tarantulas Tuesday that I eventually plan on breeding. I found some great care sheets of these guys but nothing on breeding. I know that the female can be very aggresive towards the male so supervision is needed when they are together. Anyone had any expirence breeding these guys? I was wondering how long it takes for the female to produce an eggsack after a successful breeding and how long it takes for the egg sack to hatch. Also, how would I incubate the eggsack and is it okay if I take it out away from the female into another tank to incubate? There are so many different species of tarantulas, what types would you say are investment quality in the market today? Any other tips? Thanks
    - Jon

Thanks

Re: Few questions on tarantulas and breeding.

well first you have to make sure the male and female are mature and that the male is making sperm webs.i dont have any experience bredding rose hairs but i might soon enough.you wont always get a sack even when it looks like the breeding is succesful.sometimes when the breeding is succesful, she'll have an "abortion" by shedding(on purpose) along with the male's sperm.it should take the female about a month or so to produce an eggsac.well about incubating the eggsac..i cant really say since i've never incubated one and i might give you wrong info.all i know is that beginning breeders like me would lieave the eggsac with he mom since she'll know how to rotate the eggsac to keep them from sticking to each other and to spread temps evenly.you could take the sac from the mom but u have to be careful as they'll put up a fight.if you want to invest a good quality, there are many species of tarantulas that can bring in the $$$ if you breed them and have slings,you just have to look around and see which kinds are worth a lot.
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile....00001688532105
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 10: KoRn
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    October 19: Death Angel
    October 26 - Avenged Sevenfold, Deftones, Ghost
    October 28: Slayer
    November 8 - Nine Inch Nails
    November 15 - Kreator, Overkill, Warbringer
    November 27: In This Moment
    -Misael

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

From what I've been told, rosehairs are very hard to breed and the female can, in some instances, take 3 years to produce a sack. Rosehairs don't do anything quickly!!!

The best way to start is with a freshly moulted male and female, feed them both well for a couple of weeks, put them together and see what happens. Be ready to seperate them, or the male might get killed or injured before he gets a chance to mate.
    I hope you are doing this because you love rosehairs and just want to breed. Your chances of making any money on slings are not good. Rosehair slings aren't popular because they take forever to grow and you could only sell them for a couple of dollars each if you find someone who wants any.
    Good Luck!!
    Investment quality. Well any of the pokies, particularlly metallica, if you wanted to get hold of a small group of bracys of almost any kind and raise them to maturity, most mature females can sell for around $150. To be honest, its hard to make money with them. Most of us do it for love of the hobby. Go to arachonboards.com. There are tons of spider people there who can help you.

Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I have been apart of arachonboards since yesterday and have learned a bunch there. I'm not in this for the money but for the expirence because I love these animals so much, that's why I'm starting off with the rose hairs that aren't worth much at all. And I am commited to raise all the young for as long as they live or until they find a new home. Rose hairs do seem very hard to breed but that's okay, I'm in no rush. I appreciate your replies but everything that was said I already know. Lol. I think I'm set. I'll let you know how things work out.
    - Jon

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Best of luck with the breeding then. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!!!