Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,638

1 members and 1,637 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,138
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, BertsMum
    Thanks

Rat Coat Pattern Question

Not that it really matters so much with the colony but I always like to know what to call the ratties....here's two that I'm not sure what they are called....

Betsy Buttpatch....I know she's agouti marked but what in the heck would this odd marking be called?....I've never produced any rat that had a big colored patch on it's butt end like this lol....

Daisy Mae....closest I can come is her face is referred to as "possum"????, the color is a light agouti (her mother, Squeekers, is my capped agouti)..

I also wonder about the Agouti color. Betsy's agouti is sort of reddish, Daisy Mae and her mother Squeekers it's more greyish...are they all agouti or am I missing something here?
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Re: Rat Coat Pattern Question

Well lets see...

Betsy Buttpatch is either a poor Variegated or an incomplete hooded and Daisy looks be a Dalmation (though her sports are very very light).

As for colors there are actually 2 Agouti standards- brown(what most people think of agouti) and blue...looks like you have the blue version.

Very Cute either way.
    Sean

Thanks

Betsy is a cinnamon agouti mismarked bareback top ear and Daisy is an agouti wedge-blazed possum dalmation(high white).

Blue agouti is a totally different ball game
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

LOL I love this rat stuff. Well since I've bred 100's of baby rats and none of them ever had this odd buttpatch I officially declare Betsy Buttpatch as a rare rat! She's just in for her first breeding try so you may all now line up and put deposits on....

Buttpatch Rats....the new status symbol....get em while you can....all your friends will be jealous....get in on the ground floor....$2,000.00 each!!!

LMAOOOOOOOOO

Thanks for the info guys.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Could you have fed this face off? I sure couldn't so Betsy got to skip the feeder bin due to her unique buttpatch and Daisy because this face is simply too dang cute to be anything's dinner!
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention
    Betsy is a cinnamon agouti mismarked bareback top ear and Daisy is an agouti wedge-blazed possum dalmation(high white).

Blue agouti is a totally different ball game
    Where do you get this from? I am using AFRMA standards...what are you using?
    Sean

Thanks

My personal experience I've been around rats for quite a long time, especially ones coming from high-quality breeders from England and California.

There are a few types of agouti; agouti, blue-agouti, russian blue agouti, cinnamon agouti, etc. Those two rats are only showing cinnamon and regular agouti. Blue agouti is a base color of blue with tan-ticked hairs. They show none of that whatsoever. I see a bit of red in Betsy, hence the cinnamon. And I see the normal agouti coloring in Daisy.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Yep I can't definitely agree on that cinnamon agouti thing with Betsy. She's actually even more reddish than pictures show and as a baby was a lovely red/brown and white color (another reason I kept her back).

This is Daisy Mae's mother, Squeekers, as a young rat. She's still one of my cutest female breeders.

~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Opppsss...my mistake I was commenting on your last comment that you saw more "greyish" colors...didn't catch that you were referring to a different rat, and figured the colors in the photo were just off. I guess I was actually commenting on what Squeakers was .

As for the markings, I too have been breeding and judging rats for a very long time, so I still have to disagree with Becky on the markings. Yes, you can name all the traits that a rat has but those don't correspond to how the rat would be judged should you choose to (or wanted to register them...and yes there is a rat registry). The categories are much narrower.

But either way both are very cute no matter what you call them.

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Yep I can't definitely agree on that cinnamon agouti thing with Betsy. She's actually even more reddish than pictures show and as a baby was a lovely red/brown and white color (another reason I kept her back).

This is Daisy Mae's mother, Squeekers, as a young rat. She's still one of my cutest female breeders.

Sean