Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,154

1 members and 3,153 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Handeling BP's okay or not okay?

Hey I had a question about handeling BP's is it alrite to handle them or is it best to just leave them alone in the cage. Everytime I pick up my BP he stays in his curled up ball position but once I set him on my arm he moves all around me the other day I put him on my neck and he was licking my ear hehe not neccesarely licking but u know what I mean! lol I was just cruious if this would stress them out more mine doesnt seem to feel stressed once I let him lose. He hasnt striked at me at all since I have goten him. Please let me know how often I can handle him and if he likes it or not. Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Handeling BP's okay or not okay?

It's your pet, handle it if you want to. One of the reason I'm so drawn to snakes as pets is because I like to handle them. I just like the way they feel. Whether or not they start feeling too stressed out if you handle them is for you to decide through observation and experience and you gain experience by handling your python regularily and being alert to the way he behaves in varying circumstances. So handle him as often as you wish. As long as you learn something about your animal each time you handle it, you'll know you're doing it right.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I felt that way too I just wanted to make sure its not affecting the snake in any bad way I feel that every time I hold him he seems happier usually hes always curled up but when I hold him he expands and moves around a lot.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    So handle him as often as you wish.
    I would just like to point out that you CAN overhandle, so I wouldn't necessarily say as often as you wish.

Overhandling can stress your snake out and be one contributing factor to fasts, in fact, if any of mine refuse, they get very limited handling (only for cage maintenance) until they are back on feed (usually the next week).

Keep in mind that handling is for our pleasure, not the snakes. They simply learn to adapt and tolerate it, but it's not something that they mark on their calendars and go - "oh good! Today my keeper is going to handle me today, I can hardly wait!!!"

Thanks

Be respectful of your snake being a snake and not a puppy. If you see handling as a gift your snake allows you, something you want but the snake doesn't necessarily need, I think you'll do fine. Remember to not handle for 48 hours after a feeding and handling on the day of feeding can sometimes get you bit by a hyped up hungry snake. You can overhandle so always watch your snake for indicators that your need to handle may be stressing it out. When your snake is out for handling make sure to protect it from falls, other household pets, curious small kids, and sneaking off to hide down the back of your couch.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Smile Re: Handeling BP's okay or not okay?

I have 2 bps 1 a normal female and 1 albnio male and they both like to be handle. My female that is all she wants to do is be handle and always want to see what her mom is doing and to me it makes them better pets and they bond to you more to. And I have never been bit by them but i do know there moods so that is one thing I do look for before I pick them up but do not ever think they want bite because it will happen just make sure you learn there moods and get to know them and the only way to do that is by handle them.
    And I do agree with the part of not handle them after they are feed because thier bodys do need time to digest thier food and also they are real moody when they go through shedding so other than that handle them and enjoy them and good luck with your bp

Angela
    AngelaAngela

Thanks

dont handle in shed cycles either.