Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,361

1 members and 3,360 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: In the market for a crested gecko

it's all good, it is just all too often that you see people who want to buy an animal for cheap and don't take the other things into consideration. you might try www.pangea.com for a hatchling or juvie crested. matt has some very reasonably priced cresteds for sale right now and usually updates every few weeks with new geckos.
    - Emily

Thanks

Thanks! I also found "Crested Lady" (I forget the URL) who appears to be out of the business for a while. Her page links to several breeders she believes to be good.

One other question while I'm here: would a cage 12Wx12Dx18H be sufficent for 2 crested geckos (both female, of course)? I know the appropriate size for 1 and for 3...

Thanks
    Blog Entries

i think that's a bit small for 2 adult cresteds. something more like 18x18x18 would be better--that's the size of one of the medium sized exo terra enclosures.
    - Emily

Thanks

A lizard cube!! Ok. Thanks. Those Exo-Terra's are exactly what I'm looking at. I'll bump the size up a notch.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

i thought that might be what you were looking at based on the size you asked about.
    - Emily

Thanks

What about a 20L (30x12x12H)? I already have one and it could save me a little dough. But, if it won't work, it won't work.

Thanks

I had a very successful transaction with Garrick Demeyer of CrestedGecko.com...might wanna give him a holler...oh and mlededee rocks too

Thanks
    Blog Entries

a 20 gallon long would work if you turn it on its side so that it is vertically oriented.
    - Emily

Thanks

I have a couple more questions, and I figure why start a new thread? Anyway, here goes:

Based on what I've read, cresteds can thrive on CGD alone without any insects or babyfood. True? If I do feed insects, they must be dusted with calicum and reptivite (sp)?

After my May acquisition of 2 crested geckos, I'll have, well, 2 crested geckos and 1 BP. I'm far too stubborn to use paper towels at this point. Spending and hour changing subtrates and cleaning cages once a month doesn't really bother me. So, what is the best substrate for cresteds? I use coconut fiber for my BP, but have been considering a switch. I would like to use the same thing for both of them if possible.

Impaction is my main concern. I lost a bearded dragon to and impaction when I was younger (and before I knew what impaction was) and I don't plan on making the same mistake twice.

Hopefully the blue questions aren't bothersome, I just thought it would be easier to pick 'em out that way. Thanks.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

yes, they will do fine on a diet of just cgd although i would recommend giving them some sort of diet every once in a while for variety and the stimulation of hunting. even if it's just a few crickets twice a week or something like that i think it's worth it. they definitely don't need baby food--it is full of sugar which is not needed in their diet.

dust crickets and other insects with calcium and reptivite or herptivite. dust up to twice per week--if you feed less than twice per week dust each time, if you feed more than twice per week just just two of the times. (you want to make sure they don't get too much calcium.)

coconut fiber may be okay for adult cresteds if you don't feed insects or don't feed them often (and supervise when you do). i wouldn't recommend it for juvies and not at all for hatchlings. if you don't want to use paper towels a good choice is cage carpet of some sort. there will be no risk of impaction from cage carpet but it does still look nice.
    - Emily

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast