Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,197

2 members and 3,195 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Need Help New Ball Python Owner :)

Hey all I just recently got a new Ball python he's about 1.5 feet long and his name is King, I will post some pics up later of him when I figure out how to do it. I have a tank which is 3 feet wide and 1.5 feet tall and I decorated it with a few things which I will show in the pictures but my main concern is the tank came with built in heat lights on the insde one for the day (white) and one for the night (red) and I wanted to know how safe is it with the lights in there I know he can get burned on it but he hasnt soo far and I have had him for 3 days now hes very friendly and I take very good care of him, I was instructed to feed him two small mice every week, and to keep the heat on the kool side at about 86 to 88 degrees. As far as for pythons I was told that that if the temperature were to drop too low that that would be better then the temperature going too high. Well thats it for my questions. If anyone can tell/show me how to put up pics I will show you the tank and him. Thank you.

Thanks

Re: Need Help New Ball Python Owner :)

This will show you exactly how to post pictures. I couldn't figure it out either until I saw this ^_^
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=32416

And seeing as I'm still learning myself, I can't help you with all your questions, but I'll answer what I know....

Ball pythons don't need daylighting. As long as the room they are in has a window that is enough to keep their internal clocks going strong. So the white and red lights are unnessary. I'm not sure what some other people will suggest, but I have a ceramic heat emitter. It doesn't put off any light (too much white light can stress out a BP I believe) and it keeps the tank where it needs to be. And your right about your new snakes being able to get burned by those lights inside...is there a way you could move them to the outside of the tank?

When you get your pictures up it will be easier for everyone to help you with your set-up. Your temps on the cool side sound good. The warm side should be about 95 or so. You should have a snug fitting hide on both sides so the snake can choose which side it wants to be on with out having to sacrifice it's security.

I'm sure someone with more experiance will chime in, and the pics will help too ^_^ Hope this helps some and welcome to BP.net!!!!
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks
    Last edited by rabernet; 04-12-2007 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Please provide link to pictures greater than 800 pixels wide

Thanks

Hi, welcome to the forum. If you need information on ballpython care, first check this caresheet.
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....warticle&id=59

Also read the questions and anwers in the husbandry forum, this helped me a LOT. And if you don't find the answer to what you want to know, just ask.
    That's why we're on the forum right?
    -Nordin-

Thanks

By the way, good looking guy you got there
    -Nordin-

Thanks

Thanks I really like him he's soo mellow and nice, he loves to explore a lot too lol he hasnt striked at anyone except the guy at the store who handed him to me, but that guy smelled like mice I will try and catch good pic of him so you can see the full size but from what I see he looks to be around 1.5 feet

Thanks

You're lucky to have a nice snake. My first ballpython strikes at everything that moves, even to my camera. She's dangerous, but i love her
    -Nordin-

Thanks

With the bulbs inside the viv like that your snake is going to end up getting burned, possibly severely. Bulbs need to be outside the viv behind a screen so they can't reach it.

Whoever designed that viv, it certainly wasn't properly designed for snakes with the bulbs right inside like that. It's just asking for the snake to wrap around those hot searing bulbs. I flinch just looking at it. Turn those bulbs off and get a UTH and a thermostat.
    Last edited by Flagg; 04-12-2007 at 06:01 AM.

Thanks

I am soo glad he is nice I worry a lot about him and I always make sure that his temperature is good I am just worried about the light on the inside so I think I am going to get a heating pad. Should I get 1 or 2 heating pads for hot side and for cool side? or is one okay?

I noticed it says your location is Netherlands my uncle lives in Amsterdam I cant wait to visit him.

Thanks

Okay this week I will get him heating pad and remove those light bulbs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast