Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,036

1 members and 3,035 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: reps

Thanks

Re: reps

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy
    There is a responsible way and irresponsible way to use the rep system. The irresponsible ones are who you're having the troubles with. I myself have gotten a neg rep that said simply "that was pointless", no name or anything.
    However to pull everyone that has ever left a negative rep point into this stereotype is wrong.
    I don't think anyone is putting everyone into any category, or stereotype. I think the point of this thread is aimed at those who are abusing the current system. If you aren't one of them, it doesn't apply to you

Thanks

I think I've handed out two of them, and signed both of them. The one I gave out that I remember best was recently--and it was after the poster was hostile to people trying to help him, and continued to be hostile. I had posted in the thread prior to giving the neg rep, stating my issues. I believe all of his neg rep from that one thread caused him to go into moderated status...so I suppose that's one thing that the system does do. But, that isn't an example of the system being abused. I thoroughly believe that if you're going to do it--be brave enough to sign your name.
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

Thanks

Thanks Judy...Didn't realize that about newbies and reps.
    Last edited by lord jackel; 04-12-2007 at 11:47 PM.
    Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel
    This was left as a negative rep at 11:29pm tonight for me.

Exactly what I am talking about....

LOL
    That wasn't a neg rep...that was a neutral one...neither positive nor negative. New members don't have "rep power" until they have been around for a little while and made a certain number of posts. That one was intended to be positive, I'm sure.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    That wasn't a neg rep...that was a neutral one...neither positive nor negative. New members don't have "rep power" until they have been around for a little while and made a certain number of posts. That one was intended to be positive, I'm sure.
    Thanks for explaining that Judy...I actually thought it was just someone being funny based on the topic...LOL
    Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darkangel
    So I can imagine the neg rep points are used mainly when someone has a strong differing opinion, and you want to 'get back at them' for having it, IMO.
    Out of my 7 neg reps, two are signed and obviously disagreeing with what I said, which could have just as easily been PMs. The other 5 are just unsigned snipes from people who didn't agree with what I was saying, and in threads that had nothing to do with my giving bad or incorrect information (although my overall lowered rep value now confers something along the line that I'm not as trustworthy about our collective addiction as others).

Here is my idea to toss around and beat up as you will...

Let the rep comments be viewed and voted on by everyone (obviously, dont let people vote on their own rep). By doing this, rep points will only retain their value if more people agree with them than disagree, which should both lower the amount of mod/admin interaction, while publicly and regularly devaluing anonymous rep that is little more than petty sniping.

The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever. -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

Thanks

These are all good ideas, but they might be worth putting in place only if the reputation system actually counted for something.

Whether you have 20 rep points or 200, you still have all the same privileges as the next person.

The reputation system really only seems to make a difference when the occasional bad apple comes along, and those cases are rare.

Rep is just a number, I don't really understand what all the fuss it about...everyone in the posts above complaining about it all are in very good standing in the community. What gives?
    -Brad

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis
    These are all good ideas, but they might be worth putting in place only if the reputation system actually counted for something.

Whether you have 20 rep points or 200, you still have all the same privileges as the next person.

The reputation system really only seems to make a difference when the occasional bad apple comes along, and those cases are rare.

Rep is just a number, I don't really understand what all the fuss it about...everyone in the posts above complaining about it all are in very good standing in the community. What gives?
    I for one am not complaining about my rep number. I just wanted to see who neg'ed me so I could find out what I said that was taken offensive. Just want to clear that up with you
    lots of snakes

Thanks

Unfortunately, many people take reputation hits very personally and making it mandatory to show who leaves what does two things...one, it is more likely to create bad blood between individuals who might disagree consistently - which is never a good thing in a "community,"...and two, it makes those who normally avoid drama even less likely to voice their feelings in the form of negative feedback, which is also a bad thing in a community. The reputation system should give a snapshot of the feelings about one person by the community as a whole, not just those who choose to participate in it. Just my thoughts on it.
    -Brad

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elevatethis

You know i could of not stated this any better .My only thing to add is if some people would worry about the PROPER care of their reptiles as much as they complain about neg rep hits we would have a perfect forum.I am NOT pointing any fingers to any specific people here by no means.My theory this is a reptile community here to help each other.If you are asking questions then its obvious you DO NOT know everything.I have been working with reptiles for 10+yrs and i still ask questions.I return you to our REPTILE COMMUNITY
    Joe Haggard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast