Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,399

3 members and 3,396 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Never Held a Snake Before...

Hey,
    Ok, the Reptile Show is drawing nearer and nearer (April 21st and 22nd), which is when I'm planning on buying or ordering a BP. Here's the kicker, I've never held a snake before apart from an enormous snake (Sophie) at the Drumheller reptile zoo when I was a kid.

Are there any special ways to, or not to hold or handle a snake, Ball Pythons in particular? Any technics as how to not get bit or tagged?

Is there anywhere, in Calgary (Alberta, Canada) where I can some hands-on time? Should I just go to a Pet store and ask to handle one?

I don't want to seem too newb-ish when I go to the Show later this month.

Thanks,
    Stuwy

Thanks

Re: Never Held a Snake Before...

a pet store probably woulden't want to let you handle one if you dont plan on buying it then and there. and as far as bites go obviously each snake is different, and some are more aggressive then others but for the most part bp's tend to be on the more docile side. Look at it like a dog, if its handled more and used to people touching it, it'll stay calm when being handled. but at the same time there are times it needs to be left alone (48 hours after feeding to allow digestion) and other times, look at the bp care sheet on the site for more info about that stuff.

1. DON'T grip it be very very gentle (curl your hands and let it move freely but don't let it drop if its moving through your hands just keep switching out your hands from underneath it to support its body, you'll know what I mean when you're holding one)

2. try not to grab the neck or head (its perfectly ok if its moving and rubs against you but don't try grabbing for either, it'll stress the snake out and it'll get very nervous)

thats basically all I can think of for now, i'm sure there will be a lot more replies after mine to help you further.

Thanks

More important than worrying about handling, make sure you have the proper setup, with the correct temperatures and heat regulation before you bring home any snake.

Thanks

agreed, there are a lot of tutorials on setups on this site

Thanks

I'm not too worried about the setup, I feel I can handle that. I have yet to purchase any equipment though.

My plan is to move out to Victoria BC at the end of april, so I think I may purchase a snake at the Calgary show and ask them to ship it to me in victoria once I'm settled. So not to stress out the snake with an extra move.

Thanks

slow movements, don't go near his head on purpose, don't smell of rat.

you'll be fine.

Thanks

Weird question... how did youget to be interested enough in snakes to buy one if you have never held one? Ah...that sounds really rude, but I'm not trying to be, I'm just wondering. Mostly b/c I have always thought that snakes were neat and all, but I never really wanted to own one until I started messing with my friends BP and realizing they had a personality and all the neat things about them. If it's just that you really really like them, that's cool! ^_^ I'm just curious

Again, sorry if that comes off as rude... *eeks*
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks

You didnt come off as rude. I've always liked snakes. I've wanted a pet snake for a long time, but I lived with my parents until I finished high school and my mom is terrified of snakes and she immediatly shut down my dreams of owning a snake. Now I live away from home, and I missed the Herp Show in September which started me thinking of buying a snake.
    I only ever knew of corn and milk snakes. I started looking around, and I don't really like the size of the corns, and I came across Ball Pythons. I did more and more research, almost every day, on ball pythons. I found they were the quite tame and good beginner snakes, plus I liked the girth and size of Ball Pythons better. And it's been snowballing ever since.
    I talked to a couple people I know that owned snakes and ball pythons. They all said they were great snakes and could be tamed quite easily. My one friend said the snake would hang out in the front pocket of her sweater or around the back of her neck while she was on the couch.
    I feel that I need a pet. An animal that will rely on me to survive. Something for me to care for and love. I could get a plant or a mossy rock, but that's not quite my thing. Those Tamagochi electronic pets were too inanimate and had no personnality, plus they are made for children ages 8+. How weird would that be to introduce your friends to your electronic pet puppy? "He's a cutey but still isn't house-broken, naughty bugger still :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r:s on the carpet". Again, not for me. A dogs are too demanding of my attention, cats are too vain and solitary and fish just swim around. A snake can be handled and caressed, it can be solitary and won't mind. A snake is "easier" to care for, simple changing of water and substrate every few days, they only need to be fed once every 7 to 10 days.
    All and all, a snake as a companion suits me and my lifestyle very well.

The reason I am on this forums is to absorb the most information on how to feed and care for my animal, before I make any purchase or commitment to an living creature.

Thanks

Yay!! Good for you for learning about them first!! I know how you feel about the cats and dogs too....I'm in school right now and as much as I would love to have one or more of each, I don't have the time to devote to one. I was just going to deal with not having a pet and just croon over everyone elses till I graduate, or at least until I get off campus, but then Kasi got her BP and it went down hill from there. The funny thing is, we aren't allowed to have snakes in the dorms *oops* So she has a "turtle" and I have a very large "fish" ^_^ hehe
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks

Yeah i'm on campus still as well. No pet policy here. I was pretty close to buying one a couple months ago but I figured I'd wait till I graduate this spring. Only three weeks left, but what a hellish three weeks. I'll be looking forward to exams in the last week after all the work I'm doing now.
    I can't wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast