Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,693

4 members and 1,689 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,559
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
    Thanks

Smile Need help with humidity

Is there a good product available to help keep humidity? I am at work all day and I just can not seem to keep humidity. I covered part of the tank with cardboard, but have yet to seal it in completely. When I get home I spray but that seems to only last about an hour or two.

Sorry I ask so many questions but you guys are so informative.

Thanks

Re: Need help with humidity

I live out in Colorado where it is quite dry all the time. The best thing I did was to place a live plant in the Viv. I have started to try using eco-earth for substrate instead of aspen and it also seems to help out as well; and a big ole' water bowl.

VP of Cool
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VesuviusVicki
    Is there a good product available to help keep humidity? I am at work all day and I just can not seem to keep humidity. I covered part of the tank with cardboard, but have yet to seal it in completely. When I get home I spray but that seems to only last about an hour or two.

I would start out by checking the humidity levels in the room where you keep your setup. If it's low to begin with then spraying or other techniques may not help you out too much. Investing in a good "space" humidifier will help you with bringing your overall levels up.

Additional things you could try is using a larger water bowl and placing it in close proximity to your heat source. If you are using a CHE or similar device, consider switching to a reliable belly heat source controlled by a thermostat.

If you need further help with setting up a tank, check out the sticky in the husbandry forum

[How-to]Setup a glass tank.

Thanks

what always works for me is to seal the top up with tin foil.....although it is temporary (eventually it will be torn apart), it keeps the level up high....

another good way would be having one of those hair salon water squirter thing-a-majigs (you can get them at walgreens or 99 cent store). put it to a mist mode and just mist the substrate (newspaper will work fine too).

hope this helps
    party like a rockstar!

bp.net=a family....we give, we get, we love, we are ball'in!

Thanks

Thanks. We have a under the tank heater and a big bowl although it is on the cool side. I guess I will foil it up and maybe switch on a humidifier in the room. I am also interested in the plant idea, although I guess I would need to know what plants are safe to be around bps. Any live plant suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VesuviusVicki

The best product is a tub(with a few holes on sides) instead of a tank. Your snake will like it much better and a bowl of water will keep humidity fine.

Thanks

covering 80-90% of the top and a humidifier in the room will do wonders.

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks

What type of hygrometer are you using?? If you are using a small round dial type such flukers more than likely it is wrong by at least 10% I found out the hard way when I first started keeping herps. I use the AccuRite hygrometer / thermometer digital with a probe to monitor the warm side the cool side and the humidity at the same time. If you are using a digital meter and your still having trouble try covering the top with foil like the last post said but use it on the outside and cover it with clear packing tape. Cover more and more until your happy with the results.Your substate and water bowl play a major factor to your humidity. Try different sizes.