Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,286

2 members and 3,284 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

im going to get my supplies tomorrow

i already have the tank and stuff (10 gal) and im gonna get the basic stuff like hides, a water dish, calcium, and an astroturf substrate. What Im wondering is what wattage and type of bulb would you recommend? i wanna go with a bulb as apposed to a heating pad because i dont think a UTH would work well with astroturf. So my question is what bulb for a 1' high tank and most likely an adult leo.

Thanks

Re: im going to get my supplies tomorrow

First of all, I use a UTH with astroturf for my BP and the temps are really good. But I used to use a heat lamp, 60W was more than enough to heat the 10 gallon aquarium to 115+ if I didnt use a thermostat or dimmer. It was a standard infrared bulb. Hope that helps.

~Minotaur

1.0.0 Normal BP - Caduceus

Thanks

well not really because i need it about 88-90 on the warm side, this is a leo were talking about, not a bp, ive already got my temps good for my bp

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pwilliams58
    well not really because i need it about 88-90 on the warm side, this is a leo were talking about, not a bp, ive already got my temps good for my bp
    We keep our leos set up in racks, Just like the bp's

Thanks

i already have the tank and stuff (10 gal) and im gonna get the basic stuff like hides, a water dish, calcium, and an astroturf substrate. What Im wondering is what wattage and type of bulb would you recommend? i wanna go with a bulb as apposed to a heating pad because i dont think a UTH would work well with astroturf. So my question is what bulb for a 1' high tank and most likely an adult leo.
    soo? any one?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

a uth or flexwatt controlled with a thermostat is best for a leo setup and will work fine with astroturf. if you have to use bulbs than the wattage you need is somewhat dependent on your room temperature. the cool side needs to be around 80 degrees--if you have a herp room that already maintains that as room temp than obviously you won't need to heat the cool side at all, but if your room temp is more like 70 degrees you might need a 50 watt bulb. the same goes for the hot side--the wattage is dependent on your room temp. you may also need to use a thermostat or dimmer switch for each lamp to obtain the right temperature. you'll just have to experiment and see what temps you get with your setup.
    - Emily

Banned
    Thanks

Smile Re: im going to get my supplies tomorrow

Your best bet would be a UTH heat pad or piece of flex watt controlled by a thermostat or dimmer. you also will see more activity out of your gecko without the brite light. it will be easier for the gecko to thermoregulate when it needs to. the bulb will heat up the entire cage as the heat pad will provide a warm area for your gecko to go to as needed. there is no doubt your gecko will grow better with belly heat and thrive with it.