Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,331

1 members and 3,330 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Suggestions for building dedicated herp room?

I'm going to completely gut one of my bedrooms and convert it into a dedicated herp room over the summer. The room itself is 10'x15' plus a 4'x5' closet. Here's what I have planned...

Tear entire room down to studs

Insulate walls/ceiling with highest R-Value that will fit in cavities

Add additional electrical outlets

Replace windows with newer gas-filled models

Drywall with green board (to better withstand higher humidity levels)

Replace existing carpet with Berber (i thought about tile for easier cleaning, but i like to sit on the floor with the animals and I'm not crawling around on tile)

Hang insulated roman style shades (keep heat out in summer and in in the winter)

I thought about installing an electric wall mounted supplemental heater, but I think the heat given off by the 10 cages and 5 racks I have planned should raise the room temperature a bit above the 70 degrees that I keep the rest of the house at in the winter. I have a small 5,200 BTU window mounted air conditioner that, along with the ceiling fan, should be more than sufficient to keep the room from getting too hot on those occassional 100 degree days.

Any other suggestions you guys have to make the most out of my herp room would be great. Nothing too crazy since this project has a pretty tight budget.

Thanks

Re: Suggestions for building dedicated herp room?

I dont know how expensive it would be, based on the layout of your house, but it might be nice to put a deep sink in the room for tank cleanups, reptile soaking and hand washing. Just a thought, your idea sounds great and I cant wait to see pictures

~Minotaur

1.0.0 Normal BP - Caduceus

Thanks

Yeah, a deep sink would be great. Another cool thing would be to get a sprayer to attach to the faucet. These work well: https://secure.highspeedweb.net/~ldc...hsprayhose.htm

They're made for bathing dogs, but instead of dog shampoo, some mild detergent can be put in the little resovoir thing. I know a few people that use things like this.

Thanks

I say turn the closet into an incubator, if your breeding! I agree with the sink, ad a work table, a sliding cart that has supplies on it, so you don't have to go over to the table all the time, and to keep the tables clutter free.ad weather striping to the doors,install a thermo stat in the room, maybe add a TV, lol. A big rolling trash can, one marked for waste, and one marked for bedding, for storeage, a recycle bin for newspaper. Ok, I don't have anymore ideas left..I will post more if I remember them.

Thanks

Double sink (as deep as you can get away with), industrial-tough.

Get rid of the carpet. I know you may hate sitting on tile, but you can put down a simple area rug that is easier to wash. Tile or cement floor is the only way to go in a herp room, IMO.

K~
    Kara L. Norris
    The Blood Cell - BloodPythons.com
    Selectively-bred bloods & short-tailed pythons
    Quality is our only filter.

Thanks

Thanks for the ideas guys. I will do vinyl or tile instead of the carpet and just put down an area rug as KLG suggested and I'll definitely build myself some sort of rolling work table. A big rolling trash can will also come in very handy.

Unfortunately some of these things just aren't feasible for me. My house is 80+ years old and the heating system is all on one zone, so a seperate thermostat for the bedroom would require rerouting all the copper tubing running the hot water through the house and is just way out of my budget. This is something I've looked into in the past for my own comfort and it would be very expensive to have done.

As nice as a big wash basin would be, the kitchen and bathroom are on the opposite end of the house so again, running all the plumbing to do this would be very costly.

As for the incubator, this room will be for BCI's so no incubator needed.

Thanks

how many watts are the a/c and heater? I use a Johnson Controls A419 for both my A/C and heater and they work great.
    lots of snakes

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Whatever you do make sure you can undo it. I mean we think a herp room is great but if you go to sale your house the people buying might not and you don't want to spend thousands on this to only hafe to undo and redo it just to sale your home. I'm am blessed in that mine is apart of my house but still off the main house. As many have said sinks are a must, smooth floors for rolling racks and for easy clean up also a plus, Long lasting cool burning floursent lights, a work counter and storage space for empty tubs and supplys, Also something no one has mentioned is a Q-room some where when you bring in new breeding stock so they can be totaly seperate from your regular snakes (mine is my office on the other end of the house). I don't know how you feed but I have a freezer and rat racks in the works. As for the closet into a walk in incubuator and your set
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tmlowe5704
    how many watts are the a/c and heater? I use a Johnson Controls A419 for both my A/C and heater and they work great.
    I might be missing something, but i'm not sure what I would need that for? I don't plan on running a supplemental heater unless I find it necessary. The room stays at 70 empty during the winter months. With all the cages and racks in there that should raise the room temp up a degree or two. I have a 5,200 BTU window mount air conditioner that I will put in the room during the summer. It has built in digital temperature controls. The A/C unit will only be used to keep the room from getting too hot. Probably set it around 80 degrees.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog
    Whatever you do make sure you can undo it. I mean we think a herp room is great but if you go to sale your house the people buying might not and you don't want to spend thousands on this to only hafe to undo and redo it just to sale your home. I'm am blessed in that mine is apart of my house but still off the main house. As many have said sinks are a must, smooth floors for rolling racks and for easy clean up also a plus, Long lasting cool burning floursent lights, a work counter and storage space for empty tubs and supplys, Also something no one has mentioned is a Q-room some where when you bring in new breeding stock so they can be totaly seperate from your regular snakes (mine is my office on the other end of the house). I don't know how you feed but I have a freezer and rat racks in the works. As for the closet into a walk in incubuator and your set
    Good call on the quarantine room. I handn't really given that one much thought yet. I'll probably just set up one or two cages in my bedroom for newcomers. I probably should have specified this in my original post, but this room is for boas so an incubator won't be needed. I will go with vinyl flooring (cheaper and easier than tile) for easy cleanup, but I don't see myself moving racks around on a regular basis so they won't be on castors. The only racks I will have are shoe box racks for babies so they aren't super heavy anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast