Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,297

0 members and 3,297 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Yep another one...seeking opinions....;)

Well, the critters are all moved. Took me hours to set everyone up, and since Zeus hadn't eaten regularly all winter long, I decided to set him up in the rack, instead of the stearlite (I don't remember the #....it's the one that's about 34" long with the latches on the end ) he's been in since I got him last April.

Here's the thing...

It's a snake shack rack, and the tubs are 30 qt. It's set up for 84* ambient (now they're in their own room, so the temps are MUCH more stable) and the hot side (back heat, not belly) is 94*, with a water bowl.

I had the blinds open so they'd be getting a natural light cycle, but just dimmed them yesterday.

Is the 30 qt. going to be big enough for him w/o any hides? He was ~~1900+g the last time I'd weighed him, but he's been off feed. I've tried live, and he's refused those rats. The next attempt will probably be a live mouse, since I have some new babies that aren't eating FT and I don't have any live rats that are small enough.

He's got some wt. avail (but I DO need to get my 8/6/06 het albino girl to eat regularly...she's 3 for 7 )

So ideas about the tub size?

Thanks!
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Re: Yep another one...seeking opinions....;)

Hmmm......30qt might be a tad on the small side for a 1900g guy.And you said without a hide right?
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

Yep, it's in a rack, so I didn't put a hide in it.

The other tub was bigger (still didn't grab the ID # before coming to work tonight) but it was on shelving w/a UTH in a warm room, had two hides and the water bowl. Just trying to find the right combination to try and get him to eat and eat CONSISTANTLY!

Sheesh!
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

From 500/600 grams up to 1100/1200 grams I keep my BP in 32 quarts tubs, any BP above that weight go in a 41 quarts tubs.

Hope this help.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

if he's not eating, don't up the tub size yet.

get him feeding steady before you make any changes. my males do fine in 32 qt tubs!!

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks

Checked the ID number last night. Does a 1988 Stearlite work? That's what Zeus WAS in while we were in the other house, on the shelf w/a water bowl and two hides. He insists on coming out to play every time I opened the lid and he hadn't eaten.

Freddie escaped out of the 40L breeder tank so now HE is in the rack and Zeus is in the 40L (w/the two round dog bowl hides and a water bowl). I'm hoping I can find the combo that will get him to eat.

I'm heading to the feed store to buy some live mice. I only have rats, and I'm hoping the live mice will induce the 3 youngest (my new pied hets and the albino het girl) to eat....and I'll get one for Zeus, too. If they don't eat, then the mice will go in a 10g tank for a while.

Wish me luck! Zeus and the het albino girl are driving me NUTS!
    Sweety314

Thanks

Well, not that I want to have to breed or buy mice, but Tues. night Zeus ate 3 live mice.

Freddie's refused his FT rat, his live rat and a live mouse. But hey! He's not starvin' Marvin and wasn't on such a long fast as Zeus. I'll try mice again next couple of feedings for Zeus, and then try to get him back onto small rats again. By that time, my four girls should have had their litters and I can start live rats b4 trying to get him back onto FT.

Now...the only other one who didn't eat was my new girl, the het pied, Pepper that I just bought from Caulder S.
    Sweety314