Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,179

0 members and 3,179 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

1 week to solve heating

I have a 32qt tub with a Ranco 11" flexwatt on the warm side. I have my Ranco up to 100 and only getting a 88-90 on the warm side in the hide. Under the newspaper in the tub I’m getting about 91-94 I have the probe taped on the flexwatt right at the edge of the tub. I tried it under the tub and the tub was uneven. My question is how high should I go on the Ranco? What is the normal transfer difference from flexwatt through the plastic through the newspaper. also only have 2 sheets of newspaper as substrate. My 1st snake was postponed do to cold weather here and I have to wait one more week.

Thanks

Re: 1 week to solve heating

What are you using to measure your temps....

Thanks

Acurite from Walmart

Thanks

Try foil taping the probe from the tstat to the flexwatt, but cover the entire probe with foil tape. So there is no effects from external air or factors or whatever... I hope this helps...

Thanks

Already have it foil taped down covering the whole probe on the flexwatt.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have pretty much the exact same set-up with a tub and two sheets of paper for substrate. Here's my little secret for perfect flexwatt temps:

I melted a hole at the bottom edge of the tub on the flexwatt side so I could pass the probe through to the inside of the tub. I put the t-stat probe between the two layers of paper right where the warm-side hide will go. And then I use a very small piece of scotch tape over the cord right by the metal part of the probe...stick it down to the paper.

I put the top layer of paper down and then put the thermometer probe right beside the lump of the t-stat probe...and again, using a very small piece of scotch tape, I stick it to the paper. Then put the warm hide right on top.

This trick only works with paper substrates. Normally, I would never recommend tape inside an enclosure, however, in this case, there's no way those tiny bits of scotch tape are a danger to the snake because once they hit the paper, they are permanently stuck to it. They hold the probes in just the right place so the snake can't move 'em around and mess things up.

I set the t-stat to 94* and the inside of the warm hide stays at a perfect 92-95 all the time.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Judy has a nice setup, but keep in mind that the accurite and thermostat temps might be off a few degrees. Personally, I would trust the thermostat temps on your Ranco.

Also, if you know the Accurite temps are pretty close to your Ranco, then your setup should work as well. Just bump the temps of the Ranco until the warm side is where you want it. Even if the Flexwatt is at 105, that's not too warm and your thermostat will protect it from overheating. I believe Flexwatt will max out at around 110F, but there is a possibility that it can go MUCH higher if it wasn't controlled by a thermostat or rheostat.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    I use a very small piece of scotch tape over the cord right by the metal part of the probe...stick it down to the paper.

Normally, I would never recommend tape inside an enclosure, however, in this case, there's no way those tiny bits of scotch tape are a danger to the snake because once they hit the paper, they are permanently stuck to it.
    Have you ever tried using paper tape or cloth tape usually located in the pharamacy section.

I have seen it repeated many of times here that NO tape is safe. I feel comfortable with the paper and cloth tape b/c it comes right off of skin with water leaving no residue. However, if it ain't broke.....

Thanks

Forgot to add...How does having the T-stat probe in your snakes enclosure effect the temps of other tubs? I would think that having the snake resting on the t-stat side may lower temps which would increase the t-stat allowing other tubs to warm too much.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ivylea77
    Forgot to add...How does having the T-stat probe in your snakes enclosure effect the temps of other tubs? I would think that having the snake resting on the t-stat side may lower temps which would increase the t-stat allowing other tubs to warm too much.
    It won't affect them much.

As for the tape inside the enclosure...I once had tape come up and the probe just hanging in the air. Thanks to my JC thermostat, it has a protection thing built in to turn off if it is let to run on maximum for too long. Since then, I have set up a dummy tub that I never have to open for the probe so I don't have to worry about a snake picking up the tape.
    lots of snakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast