Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,153

0 members and 3,153 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: When it rains...

Oh honey I am so sorry to hear about this.

I had saved the thread mentioned earlier about another snake damaged by regurge and it also mentions using really fatty rodents so maybe that is an important factor we need to get some professional opinions on?

http://www.reptilepets.co.za/rp06123b.htm

I think the original chemical burns are bad enough but that some kind of secondary reaction/ infection starts afterwards.

I think you are owed at least a gallon of ice cream per day for a couple of weeks for keeping people informed about this - maybe even with the information in the other thread combined this might lead to a discovery that makes sure no one else has to suffer it.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I am soooo sorry for your loss. I lost my favorite girl last year and it still hurts when i think about her. I am a strong believer in finding the positive out of the negative. I thank you for sharing! I think we all can learn a really important lesson from your horrible experience and hopefully avoid this from happening to someone else. I never heard of high fat regurg, It could have happened to anyone and hopefully now it won't happen to any one else.

Thanks

Laooda,

What a horrible thing you have gone through. I think you are such a sweet person and I feel terrible for you. How brave to post what you did I know it must of been difficult for you. And thank you for posting it, I still feel like I learn so much everyday about these snakes and honestly would have never of known this could happen, without your honesty and description of the events maybe none of us would of realized something like this could happen.

Big hugs to you!
    Sin~

Thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your little guy! I couldn't fathom losing one of my little ones. Hope you're doing okay!
    Jason

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh sweet heart I am so sorry to hear that..Your in my prayers.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Hi Laooda,

Gee, really sorry to hear about your loss. This happened to me last year and the common factors seems to be the fat feeders.
    I made posts in various forums and posted the Regurgitated meal causes skin damage. article on my site.

The problem we experienced is how to get the fatty regurgitate out from under the scales, where if any residual material is left, it continues to eat at the under lying skin of the snake and cause infection and skin damage.

When washing the snake, wash only from head to tail. From tail to head may push residual material under the scales. Maybe followed by a good fine spray and or nail brush (gently) to try and wash any material out from under the scales.

In our case the area worst affected was the side of the snake and not the under belly.

A course of antibiotics would be a must. Skin damage is one thing, but at least the snake recovers. Infection however is terminal.

Chestnut, our survivor is doing well and eating like a horse. Scarring is still visible and maybe shows very slight improvement with each shed.
    Regards
    Bjorn
    Reptilepets.co.za

Thanks

Laura,

I am sorry for your loss and respect your bravery to post up the details you had in the face of possible persecution. It sounds to me that you did everything you could possibly do. I am sure that Nova passing will be a learning experience for everyone here. I, too, was unaware of problems with a fatty mouse and the regurge problem.

Hugs out to you sweetheart and keep your chin up!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Awww - RIP Nova boy! He was a handsome devil!

Quote Originally Posted by Laooda
    Great idea.... and for some reason I'm seeing hearts instead of green dotts... Thank you to whoever did that!

First pix...

and the last... he was up to 300g..... and getting prettier every day.

I'm going to eat a lot of something now..........

Hugs to everyone.......

Thanks

Oh Laura, I am just so incredibly sorry for your loss. He was gorgeous, and I know you gave him the best care you could.
    I also want to thank you for posting about it, it will definitely help me in knowing what to watch for.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I just read this, and I am just falbberghasted. I had no idea regurge could be so darn dangerous - and I applaude you greatly for posting your experience. Nova was a beaut, and I am so sorry you lost him.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast
    The only time hydrogen peroxide should be involved in wound care is for cleaning up after the fact. At the veternary ER where I work, we only use it for getting blood out of our scrubs, and for applying to fur (away from open wounds) to remove bloodstains.
    Just to clear things up about hydrogen peroxide - the idea behind this cleaning agent is to introduce Oxygen to anaerobic bacteria/organisms (bacteria that doesn't like or cant tolerate oxygen), which will hopefully in turn kill them off.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast