Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,557

1 members and 2,556 guests
Eggy,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

When it rains...

So, I have this overwhelming feeling that I'm almost obligated to inform all of you that I lost Nova, my little pastel male. Maybe it's the 100 pix I've posted of him... or the 1,000 great comments that you all have made about him... I am going to try and give all the details in hopes that someone will learn from this... not to have it thrown in my face that I didn't get him to a vet soon enough. Believe me, I feel bad enough... and lesson learned. I am going to ramble a bit... sorry...

I recently made a thread about some retired feeder mice... they were extremely fat... like morbidly nasty fat.... I ran one rat/mouse short at feeding... and wound up feeding one to Nova... I was trying to get him as large as possible before next year... (he had eaten prey that size before in rat form... so that was not the problem)...as I recently wound up with several more BP's with hopes to breed him to the Norm females next year? I wanted to know that I had raised him from a hatch-ling... and now look...! He's got all these hot females! Any way..

3 days later after the mouse he regurged for the first time ...
    When I found him around midnight, there was the most horrid smell in the room... he had tipped his water (where the remaining mouseish goo stuff was) and proceeded to climb in/out of the bile? ... he was COVERED in this acidic, fatty, bile.... as well as his tub, hide, bedding etc... So I rushed him to the sink and rinsed him in in VERY mild dish soap/water to get the greasy, nasty, residue and smell off of him... Sterilised his tub... scrubbed water dish and hide... changed aspen bedding... OK.. I'll NEVER feed anything that fatty again... lesson learned... next day I check him, and he acts uncomfortable... I look at his belly and it's red approx every other/ or third scale... no where else... I rinse his belly with 50% water/h. peroxide... and put some Polly-sporin on the bad areas.... I put him on paper towels... started reading anything on scale rot, blister disease, etc... Went and got some Betadine... that night the red areas had blistered... I soaked him in water/Betadine.... no other areas on him... Next day... the first areas were better... but there were now blisters on his sides... and a few more on his belly...

I ruled out burn....not that his tub gets hot enough, I thought possibly with the greasymouse stuff on him? He might have burned? No... because areas appeared on his sides, I ruled out an RI.. never any signs...clear mouth/nose... I rule out "rot" because... you'll haft to take my word for it, but my snakes do not lay in their own poo..... They are all very clean, as I try my best to provide them all the comfort that I can...... and again... areas rose on his sides...

So... I decide this is almost the equivalent of a chemical burn... from the acidic regurge juice that he wallowed in... I mean, he was covered in it... The liquid was so harsh that my eyes burned while rinsing him clean... So because the original areas were already looking better... I figured we were having round two of these areas...and hopefully he will be over this. If not then to the vet on Mon... well... day 3 of this... dead. His entire belly looked like it had gone over a cheese grater... and his sides and back had double the sores........... I can't tell you how horrible I feel.

It's like what ever this was... double timed and just, killed him.

So again, I'll never know what the cause was.... and I will NEVER hesitate to take one to the vet at the FIRST sign of anything... even if it appears that I had a handle on it because the first areas had started to heal... I was very wrong... and he paid for it.

Again, I just wanted you all to know.

Laura
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

Re: When it rains...

I am SO sorry, hon... That had to be terrible to go through. It was brave of you to post about it, and I certainly hope that no one's going to go through a lecture at you.

It sounds as if you tried to handle the problem to the best of your ability...and there's no guarantee that a vet trip the first day would have been able to save him, so try not to beat yourself up about it.

Drop me a PM if you ever need to ramble, Okay?
    --Kim
    1.0.0 Lemon Pastel (Auryn)

Thanks

Thanks Kim.... really.

Banned
    Thanks

Unhappy Re: When it rains...

Very sorry to hear you lost one of your guys, sometimes when we lose a pet it makes us question everything we know.........or dont.

Thanks

Laura, I'm so sorry to hear that. I know how hard it was to lose your boy and even harder to talk about that loss.
    Christie
    Reptile Geek

Cause when push comes to shove you taste what you're made of
    You might bend, till you break cause its all you can take
    On your knees you look up decide you've had enough
    You get mad you get strong wipe your hands shake it off
    Then you Stand

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laooda
    and lesson learned.
    I am so very sorry to hear this Laura Thank you for sharing your experience and I know that others will be able to use your tragedy as an example. Anybody that has spent 2 minutes with you knows how deeply you care about all animals and I'm sure his time with you was wonderful. I always enjoyed the pics of him on the BBQ grill!

Nova:Soon to be missed but never forgotten!

Thanks

Not that I am into sensation pics - but can you post a pic of the effected areas?
    Acid can not harm (snake) skin after it was flushed off - acid only can cause harm as long as it is applied - there is nothing like an after effect, unless the scales were totally desintegrated.

Robin

SORRY

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear about your loss .
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ECLARK
    Very sorry to hear you lost one of your guys, sometimes when we lose a pet it makes us question everything we know.........or dont.
    This is very true... Thanks Ed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily
    Laura, I'm so sorry to hear that. I know how hard it was to lose your boy and even harder to talk about that loss.
    I'm still kinda in shock... ? The empty spot where his tub was is sooo wrong..... And thank you....

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast