Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,206

0 members and 3,206 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: Heat cable?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Heat cable?

Ive just been noticing a lot of buzz about heat cable. Is this a heating option that I can go to a hardware store for?
    Is it something anyone here uses? Is it easy to set up in conjunction with a thermostat? Any info you've got would be awesome! Thanks!!!
    ~Ginger~

Thanks

Re: Heat cable?

Hi Ginger,

I believe heat cable is typically used in a rack system with regards to snakes. It can be purchased at a hardware store, and many people will install it in a routered groove in their rack shelves. Animal Plastics uses this method for their racks.

The main concern with heat cable is that it can get very hot and can potentially burn your snake or the rack that it's in. However, I believe it can safely be used with a reliable thermostat... or better yet, a backup thermostat.

There may also be problems with "hot spots" that a thermostat won't be able to detect, but I haven't had any problems with the heat cable in my AP rack.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Very easy to set up and it can be ordered online.
    The thing I do not like about it as opposed to using flexwatt is it runs very hot in a more concentrated area. A bit more tweaking to get the temps right.
    One other thing to consider is if you run this over 90 degrees for extended periods of time, it will die on you.
    That could cause a problem with a rack system if you use back heat since to get a nice warm spot in the tub, you need to run it higher than 90 degrees.
    Personally, with the reliability and ease of using heat tape, I think you would be better off going with that versus the cable.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks a lot for the info! I was excited about the idea of being able to run to the store if need be and get something for an emergency situation (aka out-of-nowhere new addition, which seems to happen a lot around here)

But it sounds like I should probably stick to flexwatt with future rack systems.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adizziedoll
    Thanks a lot for the info! I was excited about the idea of being able to run to the store if need be and get something for an emergency situation (aka out-of-nowhere new addition, which seems to happen a lot around here)

But it sounds like I should probably stick to flexwatt with future rack systems.
    correct and at only like $2-$3.50 per foot, you are not breaking the bank ordering a few extra feet
    lots of snakes

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tmlowe5704
    correct and at only like $2-$3.50 per foot, you are not breaking the bank ordering a few extra feet
    Nope! I ran out of my "few extra feet", and just havent gotten to ordering any more. Guess it's time, I really hate not having the stuff around!

BPnet Veteran Pork Chops N' Corn Bread's Avatar
    Thanks

Just my experience with it
    It can get to 130+ degrees if not controlled and doesn't distribute heat well. I used it for my roaches for a while and now its coiled up in storage. I hate the stuff
    ~Jake~
    Too many boas to list and a few balls as well