Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,183

0 members and 3,183 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

How Contagious Is RI?

Im affraid that my baby male might get RI due to the fact that my baby female had it. They were housed togehter for about a month until I notice her syptoms and seperated them immediately. Could or does my male have RI even though he has shown no syptoms? It been about 2 weeks since I took my female in. They are still seperated until she is competley cleared.

Thanks

Re: How Contagious Is RI?

They need to be separated indefinitely, for their well-being. They are solitary animals who have no need for same-species companionship, other than the few months of breeding season.

It is not worth all of the vet bills, the stress, the fasting, and the cross-contamination for your snakes to be housed together.

Yes, it may be cheaper to house them, but it is NOT cheaper in the long-run when you run into problems. You have two enlcosures now, so why not just keep it that way?
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by godson80
    Im affraid that my baby male might get RI due to the fact that my baby female had it. They were housed togehter for about a month until I notice her syptoms and seperated them immediately. Could or does my male have RI even though he has shown no syptoms? It been about 2 weeks since I took my female in. They are still seperated until she is competley cleared.
    It is contagious and yes your male could have a RI and not show the signs yet.

There is absolutely no benefit to house two Ball Pythons together, however as you already have find out there are risks.

Those risks includes stress, going of feed, spreading of diseases, parasites, mites, premature breeding, you are also at risk for serious injuries and even death.

BP are solitary animals not social creature they do not require companionship, and they do better when house alone.

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23890&highlight=multiple+housing

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

thanx for the info, I really appreciate it. do you think I should have my male checked out? I will keep them apart from eachother from now on. These are my first snakes. hopefully not the last

Thanks

Since they are seperated now, I would be less concerned over the RI being contagious and more concerned with their husbandry being contagious.

Since low temperatures can lead to an RI developing, I would make sure that the proper environment is being provided.

BPnet Veteran MATT FISHER REPTILES's Avatar
    Thanks

just a question?? but isnt RI more like pntumonia(sp) than it is like the common cold. i read somewhere that it is not contagious. but is more spred through bad husbandry. like i said i am not 100% sure. maby someone could shed some light in depth on exactly what ri is and the medical lingo that goes with it, and how it is spred exactly.
    MATT FISHER REPTILES

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/74
    i keep about 105 balls. and a few boas. creasted and lepord geckos.

Thanks

RI is contagious. It can be caused by poor husbandry, bacteria, viruses, fungi, or parasites.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MATT FISHER REPTILES
    just a question?? but isnt RI more like pntumonia(sp) than it is like the common cold. i read somewhere that it is not contagious. but is more spred through bad husbandry. like i said i am not 100% sure. maby someone could shed some light in depth on exactly what ri is and the medical lingo that goes with it, and how it is spred exactly.
    Respiratory infections (RI’s) in ball pythons can absolutely spread from snake to snake. The most common cause of RI’s in p. regius is a bacterial infection caused by incorrect temperatures. The specific type of bacteria varies from snake to snake but can be identified via a culture and then specifically treated with an anti-biotic known to work effectively with the specific bacteria.

Any animal found to have a respiratory infection should be immediately quarantined and seen by a vet for a culture and course of anti-biotics.

Hope this helps.

-adam
    Click Below to Fight The National Python & Boa Ban

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
    - Anna Sewell, author of Black Beauty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki
    Respiratory infections (RI’s) in ball pythons can absolutely spread from snake to snake. The most common cause of RI’s in p. regius is a bacterial infection caused by incorrect temperatures. The specific type of bacteria varies from snake to snake but can be identified via a culture and then specifically treated with an anti-biotic known to work effectively with the specific bacteria.

Any animal found to have a respiratory infection should be immediately quarantined and seen by a vet for a culture and course of anti-biotics.

Hope this helps.

-adam
    Learn that much now Matt. I would hate to see those 50 females get sick
    lots of snakes