Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,418

1 members and 3,417 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Handling and Caging updates

Just a couple of notes about what is up with me and my boy Augie, who I have had now for 7 weeks.

I have been handling him every day except when digesting. After he shed his whole demeanor changed ... he is MUCH calmer when being handled. The timing of the shed may be a coincidence and this is just him adjusting to regular handling. He is no longer head shy at all, will put his head right in the palm of my hand in fact . He has learned to grip my arm pretty good and is pretty content to hang out and try to shove his head in my armpit whenever possible

Also I have removed the lid from his tub, which is contained inside a larger enclosure. He explores the larger cage at night but usually returns to the tub during the day. He has continued eating readily despite this change. So, my next step will be to remove the tub in the next few weeks so he'll be living in the enclosure without the tub. If he refuses food after the switch I can place the tub back in for a few weeks and try again later.
    Comments on this plan are appreciated!

I am loving being a snake keeper

Thanks

Re: Handling and Caging updates

hehe thats good to hear. its good your a bp mommy

Thanks

All enclosures should have hides if thats what you meant by removing the tub, I recommend keeping it in there. BP's arent really good being able to watch them move about the cage whenever you please. BP's are much happier when they can hide if they choose to (most of the time). My father in Law loves my snakes so much he went to a show and bought one (normal female) he got upset when all it did was hide, Im sure itll be in my house soon enough, he already bought a tegu (something that he can enjoy watching/handling)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

nope, that's not what I meant.

He's got hides both in the tub and outside the tub. When I remove the tub his hides will stay in the big enclosure with him.

the tub has just been for him to feel secure since he came from a baby rack and would have freaked if he went straight into the big enclosure. I'm adjusting him one small step at a time

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

so good news today! I removed the tub completely from inside the big enclosure and left his tub furniture and substrate in the same spots (so to him the only change was the plastic tub wall went away) and he just took his first feed after the change. He seems to really dig the new space he's got...he has no problem at all moving between the different hides to find the right temps etc. So next week I will change the substrate (from paper towels to cypress) and begin adding the permanent furniture one bit a week until it's finally the way I want it

one thing that happened this week that gave me a heart attack....the enclosure has a Flexiwatt UTH but also a CHE in the ceiling. The cage did not have any kind of guard around the bulb fixture...which seemed dangerous to me so I went through the hassle of installing one from another vendor.
    WELL, one night this week I peeked in on my snake after lights out to find him WRAPPED AROUND the bulb guard hanging from the ceiling!
    Thank goodness I went through the trouble of installing it, and also thank goodness my installation held his weight! Word to the wise: SAFETY FIRST! These guys can and will test everything in the enclosure!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fishmommy
    Word to the wise: SAFETY FIRST! These guys can and will test everything in the enclosure!
    And if they find they can't break it or escape through it they will probably p on it.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Sounds like Augie is coming along beautifully. Just don't make too many changes to quickly and set him back hon, it's all about patience with these lovely creatures.

You were right to put in a guard when it comes to anything they can access that is hot. I've posted this picture of our Orlah many times but it always serves as a warning. She's a lovely big female but will carry these scars all her life. Whatever happened before we owned her, our vet feels the injury was from an unprotected heating light and is amazed that Orlah didn't die from shock or infection as quite a lot of her back must have been stripped of skin at the time to leave such a long scar.

Safety should always be first.
    ~~Joanna~~