Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,274

1 members and 3,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Oh no! Help please!

Ok so today I was handling my BP and then put him back and watched him go into his hide. I have a AP cage with sliding glass doors, well I didn't shut the glass door all the way and he escaped. This is not the first time...anyways a few hours later I went down and noticed he was gone within 5 minutes I found him under my couch FREEZING COLD! So I immiedatley handeled him a little bit to warm him from my hands then placed him back into his cage. Temps 94-97ish on the warm end, and 82-85ish on the cool end. I have to humid hides and have hygrometers in the hides so I know the humidity in the hides. Humidity in hides 60-70ish (to much?) and amibent in the cage is 40-50%. Anyways since then he has been trying to get out of his cage and seems stressed because this is not normal for him....I opened the door a little bit and was listening to him breathe and he is wheezing quite a bit. No mucus that I can see yet. Should I jack the temps up?? Or go to the vet this weekend? Could he have gotten an RI in only 3 hours?? In the past few days (before he escaped) he had been pretty active at night knocking over thermometers and such. Or is this a combonation of things??

Sorry thats kind of a crazy story.

Mike
    "They are biting out of excessive fear, not because they are mean. Mean is a human emotion and serves no purpose in the animal kingdom" - Kevin McCurley-The Complete Ball Python

Thanks

Re: Oh no! Help please!

Also using a 100watt light on the warm side and a UTH and heat tape on the cool end. Heat tape on the left side wall..and UTH under the cage.
    "They are biting out of excessive fear, not because they are mean. Mean is a human emotion and serves no purpose in the animal kingdom" - Kevin McCurley-The Complete Ball Python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I would think that if you heard him wheezing there might be a chance he has an RI and him being stressed might also point to an RI. I'm not too sure though so you might want to wait until someone with a little more experience replies.
    -Matt-
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace

Thanks

Mayby he's just got the sniffles.

Thanks

K thanks. They are short little wheeze's...I don't know how many different kind of wheezes there are but yeah.

He took a big dump last night, that might explain him moving around a little bit more at night the past few days.

Never had to deal with an RI and never thought I would have to!! Are they pretty pricey to treat?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I opened the door a little bit and was listening to him breathe and he is wheezing quite a bit. No mucus that I can see yet.

In the early sign of a RI, if it is the case you will not always notice the presence of mucus.

Your BP might have been sick for quite longer and you are just now noticing it, it is very possible.

Anyway no one can give a diagnosis online, however since wheezing is not normal for a BP and is one of the signs of RI all I can do is to recommend you to consult an herp vet, here is how to find one in your area http://www.arav.org/USMembers.htm

Meanwhile you can bump your temps as well as humidity

Mayby he's just got the sniffles.
    You've got to be kidding
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Thanks GA. Yeah that sniffles post wasn't to funny but I'd like to ignore it. To lazy to look who posted it.

Most likley he will be going in this saturday.

Keep you guys posted.

If any one else has advice please let me know.

Thanks

get a lock for the sliding glass! similiar to the ones they use for jewelry/display cases.

hope all goes well

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Thanks

Yeah I've got a lock but I'm in and out to mist so much that sometimes I don't lock it. Just forgot to shut it ALL the way... What should the Temps be bumped up to? So far it is at 89 in the hide on the cool side. To hot?

Thanks

89 on the cool side? too hot!

shoot for 90-92 on the warm end, 80-82 on the cool side.

vaughn
    you can't have just one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast