Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

3 members and 3,355 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vet Costs

Thanks

Vet Costs

I just called a vet to have a price estimated to have my ball sexed and have a fecal done... they quoted me $40+ to walk in the door, $23 to pop him, and $32 for the fecal. Is this normal for the Raleigh NC area or do I need to talk to a different vet? I take my dogs and cats to this place because their hours are great and it's convenient, and honestly anyone can do routine care for healthy dogs and cats IMO... but I don't understand why they'd want so much more for the office visit on the snake than on the mammals and all the rest of that... What all is she going to do during this exam for $40+??!? I know I sound stingy and if this is what it costs, then I'll just have to deal with it (of course I can wait to have him sexed) I just wanted to check with you experts before I spent more than I had to... TIA for your input!

Thanks

Re: Vet Costs

That does sound a little steep. In any case, I would stay away from a regular vet and find a reptile or exotic animal vet instead.

Here's a link with a few Raleigh reptile vets to choose from. Give them a call and see what they say.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Well I got an appointment with Dr. Dan Johnson or Christine Eckermann-Ross at the avian and exotic vet in Raleigh... the sexing is included with the exam and the fecal is $20 vs. $30... I go next Friday because I don't have the money this Friday and I couldn't get to them before they close except Fridays when I get off at noon (yeah it's nice!) I've always heard great things about Dr. Dan... he makes house calls and is reasonably well known and referred to by other vets in the area...It'll be worth it all to know the sex (not sure why I care, but I am curious) and that he's healthy as can be... and hopefully the mites are fully eradicated (now) by then but if not they'll catch it and they will be gone! Is there any reason why I couldn't feed him after the vet visit? Fridays are the days but if he's going to be all stressed from the vet, then I don't want to waste food or add to it in any way...

Thanks

It usually depends on your snake as to whether or not he will eat, but I usually wait at least a couple of days after a vet visit before feeding. Vet visits and all the handling involved can stress them out, and an extra week to eat isn't much to a Ball.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Oh and where do you guys get your food? I'd like to get some rat pinkies for sis's corn and some appropriately sized little rats for my ball... because y'all have a convincing argument about mice being all bones and fur! But I don't think I've seen frozen rat products in the pet stores... do I just need to look harder?
    Last edited by gibbrishclown; 03-23-2007 at 10:48 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus
    It usually depends on your snake as to whether or not he will eat, but I usually wait at least a couple of days after a vet visit before feeding. Vet visits and all the handling involved can stress them out, and an extra week to eat isn't much to a Ball.
    Do you leave yours alone for a while afterwards in general to kind of de-stress? I appreciate all your insight and info, I've never taken a snake to the vet before

What if I fed him like the Wednesday before the visit? It doesn't really matter to me, I understand that they can go a couple extra days (weeks, right?)... I don't know why it bothers me if it doesn't bother him... I'm just strange that way I suppose LOL

Thanks

Make sure the snake's not been fed in the 48 hours prior to a vet visit (or any type of stressful or handling experience). Personally I'd wait a day or two after the vet visit before considering feeding to allow the snake to settle back in. Depends on what the vet's findings are or any treatment plan though so best to check this out with your vet before you leave the appointment.

As far as feeding what has this snake been eating (mice or rats and what size) and in what form (live, pre-killed or frozen/thawed) prior to you getting it? If both the cornsnake and the ball python are used to frozen/thawed prey you can generally find f/t mice and rats of various sizes at most PetCo's and other large chain type pet stores. Call ahead for availability in the sizes you require.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

OK I'll make sure I don't feed him till the Monday after the vet visit provided there's no new reason to wait!

They do both eat f/t... the corn still eats pinkies... gulps them down 2 at a time but can't seem to handle fuzzies yet... but I wanted to get him rat pinkies to see if that'd be better... my ball eats f/t mice, but I thought maybe f/t rat pups (or whatever would be the right size) would be better for him... I hadn't noticed the rats at petco, but I'll look more closely next time... I had wondered if there was like a great place to order in bulk from and save some pennies...(always a goal LOL)... but I'll be sure to check in at Petco!

Thanks again!

Thanks

wow, thats rough. I had a local herp guy here pop my snake and it took maybe 5 sec to do, if i had to pay money for that I'd been pissed. Might also wanna try some of the exotic pets stores too, I know one here in my local town I get my mice from will sex your snake free if you take it to them, just a thought. Good luck.

Thanks

I live in Franklinton. PM me and I can offer some direction in this area. I learned how to pop them, and will be happy to help you out. I also know a couple of places locally to get frozen rats and mice.
    Last edited by Jahbeard; 03-23-2007 at 11:31 AM.
    1.4 Normal BP( Marco, Polo, Mary, Xena, unnamed)
    1.0 100% het Albino (Dean Venture)
    2.0 100% het Orange Ghost (Dr. Orphius & Lyle)
    1.0 50% het Axanthic (Emperor Hotu)
    0.3 99% het Albino
    2.0 Hamsters (Speedy and Peanut)
    0.1 Dog (Toby)
    0.0.1 Cockatiel (Sonny)
    0.1 Dog (Sadie 08/17/1993-10/16/2006 We Miss You)
    Rats out the wazoo

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast