Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,321

2 members and 3,319 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Puppies

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Puppies

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy
    adizzie, four balls a year are a ton less then the thousands upon thousands of cats and dogs euthanized annually. I'm sorry, the numbers are just not compairable.
    I should have never used my rescues (only BP's and that) as a comparison b/c I am NOT a rescue agency or anything of the sort - the ones a I rescue are ones that just happen to come into my path. I think about 3/4 of my whole collection (about 15) are recues. But my numbers are just not a resonable factor in this equation, so I should have never presented them.

Once again Ill say, what we really don't see in the reptile community are the #'s of animals that are dying prematurely everyday. They are still dying, but cats and dogs are dying in the spotlight so its more obvious.
    Watch petfinder for awhile - you'll get a good idea how many reptiles out there are not getting adopted out as quickly as you might imagine.

And ya, Im female, and I think we are mightly capable of staying civil Who says a good debate has to get nasty???

And - Good information Lilly

Thanks

Most of my animals have come from shelters or the newspaper and I will continue to support shelters, rescues and other such places.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SarahMB
    Personally, I'll never get an animal from a shelter again. I will only buy from breeders from now on, too many horrible experiences with shelter animals. And shelters offer no support down the road if there is a problem with the animal.
    That's a broad generalization, and inaccurate. Private rescue groups tend to have more support resources than publicly funded city shelters. Animals in foster homes can be better screened than those in a shelter environment, and are often provided better support afterwards. I know the group I foster for is there for the life of the pet. There is nothing better than getting Christmas pictures from a puppy you fostered years ago! When animals don't work out, we do everything we can to make the situation work...if it doesn't, we take them back. Nobody is euthanized except in cases of suffering, at the recommendation of the vet handling the case.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

I didn't say private rescue, I said shelter.
    My own mother in law does IG rescue, so I would trust a private deal way more than a public shelter anyday.
    And anyway, I said 'my experience". Can't really be general when talking about your own personal experience, can ya?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy
    Most of my animals have come from shelters and I will continue to support shelters, rescues and other such places.
    ditto..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joyful girl
    there is a big difference between breeding some reptiles and dogs or cats

most reptiles (aside from burms, iggies, ect) will be taken in by herpers if offered up for adoption in a heart beat

that can't be said about cats and dogs
    Not a big difference. Ones not taken up by herpers are just dumped off never to be seen again. You don't hear as much about it because they're not as visible.
    Florida is one of many states dealing with the aftermath. Ones further north just die off. Spaying and neutering a pet I feel is a must, yet the puppies we are refering to seem to have occured from someone not keeping their male home. The female was in her fence I believe. Apparently the owner thinking it was sufficient. All I'm saying is people make mistakes, as I'm sure we ALL have. We don't pop out at birth super responsible. If we are intelligent, most of us learn from our mistakes. Yes, I hate to see unplanned pups, but we are here on the forum to teach each other , not attack because a mistake was made. There are ways to get points accross without getting nasty yet we keep falling into that!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blu Mongoose
    If we are intelligent, most of us learn from our mistakes.
    If only it was that easy.
    It doesn't appear that this person plans to spay the dog in the future as they keep avoiding the question.

We've had people drop puppies off at my local shelter but insist on keeping the mom and swear they will get her fixed then show up again with another litter from the same mom awhile later. It makes me sick that people can be so stupid/cheap/lazy/irresponsible and have such a impact on the lives of other animals that get euthanized to make room for the new pups coming in.

Thanks

Enropy, I dont have an appointment, but we will get her done...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw
    Enropy, I dont have an appointment, but we will get her done...
    I'm confident that in the next 6 weeks while she's weaning pups you can find a rescue group or some kind of discount certificate for a local vet to help you if need be

Thanks

That's really good to hear James. It'll be nice once you don't have to worry about watching her for signs of heat. You'll all be able to relax a bit more.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast