Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,354

4 members and 3,350 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Puppies

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Puppies

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy
    You don't see ball pythons getting gassed like dogs and cats.
    nope, but im rescuing an average of 4 bps a year just in my area from certain death because of irresponsible owners. I wonder how many reptiles die an agonizing premature death of mouth rot, starvation, burns, RI ?

Quote Originally Posted by joyful girl
    there is a big difference between breeding some reptiles and dogs or cats

most reptiles (aside from burms, iggies, ect) will be taken in by herpers if offered up for adoption in a heart beat

that can't be said about cats and dogs
    Do you have any proof that the ratio of adopted reptiles is higher than cats or dogs?
    Do you know that the people, even "herpers" adopting/buying reptiles, locally or online, actually have what it takes to keep that animal from dying (as I quote myself from before) an agonizing, premature death from mouth rot, starvation, burns, RI?

And, like you were saying before about dogs, there are certain sizes and species of reptile that seem to lag behind in adoption - or never get adopted out at all - even released into the wild.

Thanks

You don't see ball pythons getting gassed like dogs and cats.
    Ayup, what she said. I'm on the fence about breeding the big snakes too, since it seems they can wind up in the same circumstances, but don't know enough about it to pass judgement.

Ball pythons are uncommon enough, and difficult enough to breed successfully, that I don't ever see them facing the kind of population crisis that dogs and cats do. And this may generate some dissention, but I would argue that snakes don't suffer the same level of abuse that dogs and cats do either...people think it's their right to own a dog or cat no matter what, whereas you have to really like snakes to get one, and people tend (I am optimistic here) to try to provide adequate care for them, however misinformed that may be.

And to the OP, yes, having reread the thread, I realize that the male belonged to your neighbor. I still hold you accountable for letting your in-heat female stay out in the yard unsupervised, and for not getting her spayed once the deed was done. Both are acts of negligence. With seven puppies on a dog that small, you are lucky she survived the pregnancy and has not come down with hypocalcemia yet.

Please monitor her vigilantly for any sign of unsteadiness or tremors, and rush her to your nearest vet immediately if you see either. This is the time when you need to really watch her, as the milk demand on her increases daily and dogs as small as she is often cannot meet it, particularly with such a large litter. You -must- have a vet who is available 24/7 during this period, since hypocalcemia is a life-threatening emergency. Find such a vet now, rather than frantically flipping through the phone book at 2am while she's having convulsions on the floor. Also have several hundred dollars to spend on her if it happens; she will need bloodwork and IV injections.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

adizzie, four balls a year are a ton less then the thousands upon thousands of cats and dogs euthanized annually. I'm sorry, the numbers are just not compairable.

Thanks

Sorry but I will have to say what you just said is not so true. I know the woman Holli personally who runs the MARS reptile rescue. Their adoption fee's are very reasonable but they just don't seem to get adopted. http://www.reptileinfo.com/Rescue_Listings.aspx

I can tell you that those male BP's have been in her care for well over a year. I was actually thinking of adopting one when I first got in to BP's this time last year.

The turtles have been there a while too.
    As same goes for that burm.

The Nile Monitor and Green Iguana's same story, been there for a good while.

I'm so happy to see that poor Boa have that adoption pending next to him since he was listed on there to for a good year.

I've work in animal shelters before and I know what Holli does for those reptiles. Both are about the same I'd say when it comes to them ending up in those kind of situations and people not wanting or thinking about adoption. In the end both cases are sad. Only thing different with Holli.... she doesn't put them down. If they were dogs or cats at an animal shelter... doubtful they would be there for a year without being put down!
    Last edited by lillyorchid; 03-28-2007 at 06:16 PM.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

Thanks

adizzie, four balls a year are a ton less then the thousands upon thousands of cats and dogs euthanized annually. I'm sorry, the numbers are just not compairable.
    I completely agree. Any live animal has the potential to be abused, but when it comes down to the numbers, dogs and cats are far in the lead. Just look at Craigslist or Freecycle for all the "Oops, my dog/cat had all these adoooorable babies that I now need to find homes for or else I'll have to take them to the pound".
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    6.4.8 ASFs

Thanks

Bet this gets moved to the QR soon

Thanks

It probably will but I think us girls are staying very civil (I'm going out on a limb assuming you're female dizzie) though of course James is male... I assume.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lillyorchid
    Sorry Jenn but I will have to say what you just said is not so true. I know the woman Holli personally who runs the MARS reptile rescue. Their adoption fee's are very reasonable but they just don't seem to get adopted. http://www.reptileinfo.com/Rescue_Listings.aspx

<snip>

Only thing different with Holli.... she doesn't put them down. If they were dogs or cats at an animal shelter... doubtful they would be there for a year without being put down!
    Try finding responsible homes for pit bulls. I've put down whole litters, over and over again, of perfectly healthy, sweet, wonderful, loving puppies because they have pit in them and you just can't place pits or pit mixes. The people that would make good owners are scared off by the breed-bashing, and the people who want pits want them for all the wrong reasons*.

As far as shelter time, it depends on the rescue. There are many no-kill rescues that hold the animals as long as necessary, no matter what. My current foster dog has been with me for 11 months and finally goes to her forever home this weekend (hurrah!). The problem with being a no-kill rescue is that you have to be selective about what you take in, or else you wind up with dozens of pitbulls sitting around taking up cage space and not getting adopted...

*gross generalization. To all of you responsible owners of well-socialized pits, I salute you for furthering the breed image.
    ~Jess
    6.4.8 ASFs

Thanks

No, not always the case with pits. Blame the dang laws, so many places have BSL in place not to mention (as I mentioned above) anyone who rents is pretty much screwed in getting a pit.
    It's incredibly sad.

Thanks

Personally, I'll never get an animal from a shelter again. I will only buy from breeders from now on, too many horrible experiences with shelter animals. And shelters offer no support down the road if there is a problem with the animal.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast