Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,332

2 members and 3,330 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I......

Thanks

How do I......

start breeding my own crickets? Wasn't sure where to put this...sorry if it does not belong here.

I want to keep my own crickets for my cresties and my tarantula and I am not sure how to go about getting set up. Do I just go and buy a bunch of adult crickets and put them in a container with gut load and water and egg crate? Do they lay eggs?? Do I have to take the little crickets out away from the large? Told you I did not have a clue
    Would appreciate any help
    -Lisa
    1.0.0 bp Zeke, 2.0.0 chihuahuas- Paco and Peanut, 2.0.0 cresties Chomper and Harley, 0.2.0 rat Snow and Baby 0.2.0 cats-Billie and Bell, 0.1.0 rose tarantula-Rosie,0.1.0 Leopard Gecko-Pebbles, RIP Speedy

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: How do I......

Quote Originally Posted by ZEKESMOM
    start breeding my own crickets? Wasn't sure where to put this...sorry if it does not belong here.
    Crickets are feeders, too!

And that is about the end of my support for crickets! Ugh...nasty, smelly critters. You couldn't pay me to breed crix. Sorry...I know I'm no help at all with your question....just wanted to let you know you had it in the right place.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

check it out: http://www.anapsid.org/crickets.html.

it's fairly easy really--the worst part is the maintenance/keeping the smell down. i once hatched out a bazillion baby crickets unintentionally when a female layed eggs in my leo laybox before she got eaten. now that was some excitement.
    - Emily

Thanks

Thanks girls I had planned on keeping the crickets in my closet but after browsing the care sheet that will not be happening:eek: I have to rethink this!
    -Lisa
    1.0.0 bp Zeke, 2.0.0 chihuahuas- Paco and Peanut, 2.0.0 cresties Chomper and Harley, 0.2.0 rat Snow and Baby 0.2.0 cats-Billie and Bell, 0.1.0 rose tarantula-Rosie,0.1.0 Leopard Gecko-Pebbles, RIP Speedy

Thanks

I tried breeding crickets once.. IMO waay too much work for me. You may consider breeding one of the feeder roach species instead.. MUCH easier. I bred lobster roaches.. amazing how those things reproduced. LOL

Mealworms are super easy as well.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZEKESMOM
    Thanks girls I had planned on keeping the crickets in my closet but after browsing the care sheet that will not be happening:eek: I have to rethink this!
    This is just for two critters, right? When I had to feed our beardie crix every day (when he was a baby) I would buy a week's worth at the pet store and keep them in a "cricket-keeper" container at home. That way I only had to go to the pet store once a week. Still a bit inconvenient...and mighty stinky...but better than trying to breed them, I think. Not to mention what would you do with all the extras?
    -- Judy

Thanks

I don't think I realized how prolific they were:eek: I was just wanting crics for the 2 cresties and the tarantula so seems like breeding is not the way to go! Even once I had lil cresties looks like I would have major cricket storing problems LOL
    -Lisa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby
    I tried breeding crickets once.. IMO waay too much work for me. You may consider breeding one of the feeder roach species instead.. MUCH easier. I bred lobster roaches.. amazing how those things reproduced. LOL

Mealworms are super easy as well.
    I've never given Chomper meal worms...maybe I will get some and see if she takes to them...thanks
    -Lisa

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

yeah, i have to say, breeding crickets for just 2 animals might be going a little overboard. you're gonna have a LOT of crickets. and it IS a pain. i order 1500 crickets every 2 weeks or so and keep them in a bin in the herp room and even that gets stinky. but i'm willing to spend the money to avoid the pain of breeding them myself. i dunno--i might have a go with it this summer when i can keep them in the garage...maybe. i was going to do it last summer and kinda never got around to it.

roaches are way easier. i bred blaptica dubia roaches (http://blaberus.com/FORMgallery1.htm) for a while and they were amazing. NO smell at ALL. i couldn't believe it. they are very nutritous and can't climb, so they are easily contained.
    - Emily

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee
    yeah, i have to say, breeding crickets for just 2 animals might be going a little overboard. you're gonna have a LOT of crickets. and it IS a pain. i order 1500 crickets every 2 weeks or so and keep them in a bin in the herp room and even that gets stinky. but i'm willing to spend the money to avoid the pain of breeding them myself. i dunno--i might have a go with it this summer when i can keep them in the garage...maybe. i was going to do it last summer and kinda never got around to it.

roaches are way easier. i bred blaptica dubia roaches (http://blaberus.com/FORMgallery1.htm) for a while and they were amazing. NO smell at ALL. i couldn't believe it. they are very nutritous and can't climb, so they are easily contained.
    Thanks...I just hated running to the store every couple days for crickets...maybe I will just buy a couple dozen and keep them in my critter keeper to feed off.
    -Lisa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast