Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,432

2 members and 3,430 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What now?

Thanks

What now?

I cant take this headache anymore that I got from these geckos. I ve invested about 500 dollars into these trying to breed them. Now I just dont want to ever see them again. I am almost possitive they have crypto I can barely pay my bills nm trying to treat these guys anymore. I know you cant sell them as pets or give them away it just wouldn't be right. what are my options to get rid of these headaches if any?

i seperated my male who has shown no signs of illness but being with the girls for 2 weeks im sure he to has crypto. If he stays healthy he will just be a pet, not to be bred.

Thanks

Re: What now?

sorry to hear you are having problems...what is crypto?
    -Lisa
    1.0.0 bp Zeke, 2.0.0 chihuahuas- Paco and Peanut, 2.0.0 cresties Chomper and Harley, 0.2.0 rat Snow and Baby 0.2.0 cats-Billie and Bell, 0.1.0 rose tarantula-Rosie,0.1.0 Leopard Gecko-Pebbles, RIP Speedy

Thanks

That stinks!! Crypto is no fun at all!

Maybe you could find a reptile vet or an experienced keeper near you that would be willing to help out or to take care of them and get them through it. BTW, where are you located?

Good luck and keep us updated! I hope everything works out!
    Eric Wilson
    UltimateHerps
    www.ultimateherps.com

Thanks

I am located in Mass. south of Boston.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

get them tested for crypto so you will know for sure that is what they have. i know it costs money, but you can't really do anything until you know what the problem is.

cryptosordium is extremely serious, highly contagious, and not something to be taken lightly. you should separate and quarantine all of your geckos and plan to treat each one, even if they aren't showing symptoms right now. their enclosures and everything in them should be sterilized.

i understand that tests and treatment cost money, but the fact is, these animals rely on you for their health and well-being. when you purchased them you accepted responsibility for them, and sometimes this requires vet visits and costly treatments.

here are some links with info on crypto:
    http://www.drgecko.com/protozoans.htm (scroll down to the crypto heading)
    http://www.animalnetwork.com/reptile...d=3977&search=

once you have the results from the tests we can work from there. if they do in fact have crypto i can give you some pointers. please make a vet appointment and let us know how it goes.
    - Emily

Thanks

Ive done a lot of reasearch on crypto and it just seems like a battle that cant be won. and it is won can you even breed geckos that had crypto? thats the reason i got these geckos. I know i sound very irresponsible but I seriously have no extra money, I wouldnt even have the extra 75 to get the test done for atleast 3 weeks. and then the money for treatment another 3 weeks. Unless they can set up a payment plan I am out of options.

Thanks

I just got off the phone with the vet and i explained my situation to her, she isnt that confident in treatment for the geckos and said euthanizing the geckos may be the best bet. To tell you the truth Im leaning towards that. this is very unfortonute for me and I am not happy about this at all. Its just been a bad week.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

find out about a payment plan. at the very least get the test so you know that's what they have. if that isn't what they have then you are in luck, but still need to find out what the problem is.

for now, keep everything as sterile as possible. separate all the geckos into enclosures that have been sterilized with 10% bleach, 90% water solution. sterilize everything in the enclosures as well. use paper towel substrate for now and use gloves if possible when handling and cleaning--a separate pair for each gecko/enclosure.

are they eating okay? do they seem to be losing any weight? fighting crypto is much easier if they will eat on their own.

how long have you had these geckos? did you get them from a breeder? when you get the test results, if they are positive for crypto you should contact the breeder immediately. if you haven't had them for long (less than 2 weeks or so) i would request a refund of your money.
    - Emily

Thanks

no they havent eaten in about 2-3 weeks as far as I know they have each lost 4 grams. these females were healthy when i got em about 4 months ago until i added what i thought was a male but was a female from regal reptile whose tail wasnt as fat as it could be so im sure she gave it to the other two.

the diarhea seems to be getting worse by the day and their just losing way to much liquids.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

not good. this is exactly why ALL new reptiles should be quarantined for a minimun of 90 days. that way you can catch any issues with the new animal before it is introduced to your animals, enabling the problem to spread.

knowing that they are losing weight and fluids your best option may be to have them euthanized if the test results are positive for crypto. i'd take them all in to your vet and have her assess the situation. she should be able to advise you the best course of action.

i'm sorry this has happened to your geckos. how long ago was it that you added the newest gecko? you may still be able to get some kind of recourse from the seller if this was a recent purchase.
    - Emily

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast