Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,341

3 members and 3,338 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Seemingly healthy corn regurgitated, what might be wrong?

Hi guys, my corn snake Sawa has been a pleasure. She is fairly active, she has eaten once per week and has had two full and complete sheds in my care.

My temps are where they should be and the humidity is right around 50%.

I fed her a fuzzy mouse that was larger than any other I have given her but I didn't think it was too big. She ate it with enthusiasm and didn't seem to have a problem getting it down. This morning I found that she had regurgitated it. It doesn't seem to be very digested, and it is wet. I didn't notice it yesterday when I filled her waterdish but it was in a corner and I could have missed it.

What might have caused this? She seems normal otherwise. I didn't expose her to any stress, I always give her and my other snake plenty of space for two days or so after eating.

This sucks. I know that regurgitation is stressful for a snake. I'm very careful with my husbandry and I've never had anything like this happen before.

Any advice you can offer is much appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Seemingly healthy corn regurgitated, what might be wrong?

I'm guessing it may have just been too big for her. If not that, I don't know.

Thanks

It's the only thing I can think of too, I've been racking my brain trying to think about when she ate. I didn't watch that closely, did it take longer than usual?

Also, I bought the mouse from a new place, I have never bought a mouse there before. My other snake, a Kenyan Sand Boa named Dila, ate her mouse without issue.

Thanks

Did she actually consume it fully then regurge? I know we had one incident with our Nelson's Milksnake where she was about 80% done swallowing when something spooked her. She just sort of spat it back out and went off to hide (had this happen once too when I accidentally bumped into a BP tub hard and the snake spat back the almost swallowed rat and dashed off to her hide). Could this have happened?
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Did she actually consume it fully then regurge? I know we had one incident with our Nelson's Milksnake where she was about 80% done swallowing when something spooked her. She just sort of spat it back out and went off to hide (had this happen once too when I accidentally bumped into a BP tub hard and the snake spat back the almost swallowed rat and dashed off to her hide). Could this have happened?
    I am thinking that is what she did.If she would have regurged it you would have smelled it .Now when you say your temps are where they need to be,what are the temps? It should be 80-85 on the hot side.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

She definitely got it all the way in, I feed her in a seperate cage without substrate to keep her from swallowing aspen bedding. I checked on her and when she was done I placed the smaller feeding enclosure into her larger cage and watched her crawl out. That's her routine, she's never had an issue before.

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    I am thinking that is what she did.If she would have regurged it you would have smelled it .Now when you say your temps are where they need to be,what are the temps? It should be 80-85 on the hot side.
    I do have a basking spot that is held around 85 via thermostat. Ambient temps are usually around 75 in her cage, sometimes they drop to around 70 at night if it's cold outside but usually it's pretty stable.

Thanks

I will bet now she will shed within a week. That or a temp issue is about the only two common things that could have caused this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare Creatures
    I will bet now she will shed within a week. That or a temp issue is about the only two common things that could have caused this.
    Richard, he has his temps at 85ish allready.How do you figure the being inshed would cause it to regurge? I have several corns that eat perfectly fine when inshed and never a regurge out of them. So i dont think the possible being inshed is the problem here.
    Joe Haggard

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

maybe the large size of the prey item combined with the temp drop at night was the problem. she may be able to handle a smaller sized meal with the night drop but not the new larger sized one. try keeping the night temps a little higher if you feed her larger sized prey.

Thanks

The only corn I have had re-gurge shed the next day.......corns are not prone to temp or stress re-gurges as much as others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast