Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,250

0 members and 3,250 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

He ate!...a chick!

Hi,

My BP is around a year old and has been off of his food for 2.5months now. Ive kept his husbandry perfect and handling to a minimum bvut he wouldnt eat at all. SO, today I was feeding my Taiwan Beauty snake some chicks, and I decided to chuck one in the BPs tub to see if he'd be interested (I had doubts as I dont think Ive ever read about a BP eating chicks on this site). Anyway, he scoffed the lot straight away, no hesitation. Im not sure if this was the switch from mice/rats to chicks which made him eat, or whether it was just his day to break the fast.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to see if any one else out there feeds chicks? And what are the nutritional values of such a food item? Chicks are ideal for me as they only cost £0.06 each!!

Cheers

SHOTTY
    1.0 Normal Ball Python - Mandela
    1.0 Hogg Island Boa (PURE) - Rod

Thanks

Re: He ate!...a chick!

In the US chicks aren't as common (except maybe around Easter) so they don't make the normal diet of ball pythons (I would guess they don't make the diet of most snakes here)...but Ball Pythons are ambush hunters so I could easily see it happening and my guess is in the wild baby birds are eatin often by Balls.

Glad you got him to eat.
    Sean

Thanks

I fed my monitors chicks, they are cheap at rodent pro, but
    i never fed one to my balls.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

In the wild, bird remains are often found in the stool of young ball pythons. (Or in the stomachs of dead ones)

From what I understand, it won't hurt to feed a chick...but expect to have some pretty nasty, runny stools afterward. I'm not sure an all-bird diet would be healthy for the life of the snake, though. Studies of wild behavior show a significant change-over to a mostly rodent diet as they mature.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    In the wild, bird remains are often found in the stool of young ball pythons. (Or in the stomachs of dead ones)

From what I understand, it won't hurt to feed a chick...but expect to have some pretty nasty, runny stools afterward. I'm not sure an all-bird diet would be healthy for the life of the snake, though. Studies of wild behavior show a significant change-over to a mostly rodent diet as they mature.
    cheers for the advice, and you dont have to tell me about runny stool, my taiwan beauty snake eats mostly chicks at the mo (shes gone off rats for a while) and her poo is disgusting! Not easy to clean as well. I really would like to get my BP back on rats/mice, but i think ill stick with chicks for 2 more weeks and then try another rodent. I tried gerbils, as i heard these were readily taken by BP, but he wasnt interested, he only wanted the chick.

cheers for the help, do u think the chances of him switchin back to rodents are high?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shotty

cheers for the help, do u think the chances of him switchin back to rodents are high?
    I have no idea, as I have no personal experience with this. I would guess though...that if all other things in his environment are correct...then when he gets hungry enough, he'll take whatever food is available.

Good luck with it, whatever route you choose to go!
    -- Judy

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shotty
    Anyway, the purpose of this post is to see if any one else out there feeds chicks? And what are the nutritional values of such a food item? Chicks are ideal for me as they only cost £0.06 each!!
    Cheers SHOTTY
    As far as nutritional value you can find the info here http://www.rodentpro.com/qpage_articles_03.asp

I would be concern of runny smelly stool, would also be concerned about the fact that BP are imprint feeder and what will happen if he never switch back to Rodents, and what if you had to re-home your BP and he was exclusively eating Chicks. I don't say it will happen but you never know, you should stick with rodent diet, rat or mice whatever works for him.

You mentioned your BP is off feed which can happen but I would double check everything

Temperature 32.5-34.5 C on the warm side and 27-29 C on the cool side
    Humidity 50%-60%

Going off feed is often related to husbandry, breeding, illness, stress, overfeeding

Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I've also heard of bps being offered chicks and never going back to rodents. Same deal with gerbils too. IMO I would re-think offering chicks for another 2 weeks.
    ~*Rich
    1.0 100% Het Albino
    1.3 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel 66% Het Goldfinger
    0.1 Pastel PH Goldfinger

Thanks

Another point that should be taken is chicks(poultry in general) are festering cesspools of parasites and salmonella. Ever been to a chick hatchery? They are frequently disgusting, and chicks are kept en mass letting anything that is transmitted to them to spread rampantly as they stomp and eat each others feces. Bad idea all around imo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ridley
    Another point that should be taken is chicks(poultry in general) are festering cesspools of parasites and salmonella. Ever been to a chick hatchery? They are frequently disgusting, and chicks are kept en mass letting anything that is transmitted to them to spread rampantly as they stomp and eat each others feces. Bad idea all around imo
    That is a very generalised and poor comment to make. Where do rats and mice live naturally? The sewers and around trashcans, most full of disease and parasites! Rodents you buy as feeders are bread for the purpose and hence are healthy...its the same with the chicks i buy!! I dont mind help on this subject, but when advice like that is given it annoys me. I know SOME hatcheries are really unhygenic, but I buy all my feeders from a respectible online breeder who breeds chicks in no more unsanitary conditions than the rodents, its all very safe! Ill try and switch back to rodents of course, but surely a chick eating snake is better than a snake that wont eat anything?! Gimme 2 weeks, my BP will be slamming rats again...hopefully.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast