Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,189

1 members and 3,188 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97

Thread: help agressive!

Thanks

help agressive!

okay heres the story, i just started handling my little BP on saturday which i held him for no longer than 5 mins then placed him back inside his tub, sunday made no contact with him cuz i was busy... then today at around 10 pm i picked up him in my hands and held him for about 5 mins again with no problems, then 11:30 pm came around and i decided to handle him once more b4 i went to bed, i opened up the lid and saw him get a little nervous and tighten up his body (which he usually does when i open up his lid) then as i reached in to pick him up, i noticed he was staring at my hand then out of nowhere *BAM* he struck at me... although he did not hit me, it was damn close and i flinched, i was kinda shocked so i put the lid back on and left him alone.... what did i do wrong? could it be because hes hungry? last time i tried to feed him was last wednesday (tried f/t but no luk)... im thinking tomorrow i should go pick up a live rat, maybe his agression is due to not eating.... also i was planning to move him into his tank, which is pretty much all ready (just waiting for the coconut husk to dry up)... should i move him in before or after i try and feed him?? if after, how long should i wait until i can move him into his tank (after feeding him). pleasee helpp

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: help agressive!

maybe it was the way you went into the tub to get him. you must have startled him by swooping down from above...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

That sounds more like a bluff "go away" strike rather than a feeding strike.

Most people recomend not handling them untill they are eating fine as anything that can cause stres isn't really what you want to be doing untill he's settled and eating regularly.

That said moving him into a new tank will also stress him a little till he adjusts so I would probably try feeding him before and if he eats leave him where he is and undisturbed for at least two days. If he doesn't eat I would move him into the new tank ( as long as temps and humidity are ok of course) and not disturb him for at least a week.

Then try feeding in the tank.

Some snakes are a little slower to settle in and can be set back with changes so don't be too disapointed if he seems a little freaked in his new tank at first - just give him the time to settle in and decide its nice and safe.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeLos
    okay heres the story, i just started handling my little BP on saturday which i held him for no longer than 5 mins then placed him back inside his tub, sunday made no contact with him cuz i was busy... then today at around 10 pm i picked up him in my hands and held him for about 5 mins again with no problems, then 11:30 pm came around and i decided to handle him once more b4 i went to bed, i opened up the lid and saw him get a little nervous and tighten up his body (which he usually does when i open up his lid) then as i reached in to pick him up, i noticed he was staring at my hand then out of nowhere *BAM* he struck at me... although he did not hit me, it was damn close and i flinched, i was kinda shocked so i put the lid back on and left him alone.... what did i do wrong? could it be because hes hungry? last time i tried to feed him was last wednesday (tried f/t but no luk)... im thinking tomorrow i should go pick up a live rat, maybe his agression is due to not eating.... also i was planning to move him into his tank, which is pretty much all ready (just waiting for the coconut husk to dry up)... should i move him in before or after i try and feed him?? if after, how long should i wait until i can move him into his tank (after feeding him). pleasee helpp
    OK, first - this is coming from someone who feeds live. I gather from your post, this is your first ball python.

Please be aware that even an adult ball python really requires nothing larger than a small/small rat (like 3-4 weeks old). I would hate for you to purchase a rat that is too large for your snake for your first live feeding attempt.

Also, only leave live prey in with your snake for about 20-30 minutes. If you notice that he's moving around a lot, but not going after the prey, remove the prey. If he's settled properly, your temps are perfect, and he's hungry, he should hunt from his hide rather quickly. If he hasn't eaten in 20-30 minutes, he's mostly likely not going to, so you should have a plan how you plan to house a rat for an additional week (only offer food one time a week, even with a refusal).

First and foremost, you say you're moving him into a tank. What have you been keeping him in? How large is the enclosure?

You didn't mention how long you've had your snake? Did you give him a full week to acclimate before you began handling him?

What are your temps on the cool and warm side, and what device do you use to measure those temps?

Remember when you move him to the tank, you need to give him another full week to acclimate to yet another new home.

My general rule of thumb is that I do not handle any new snake until after they've had their first meal with me (preferably two meals, so at least two weeks). Also, any of my kiddos that refuse a meal, do not get handled until they feed again, even if I know it's just an off week for them.

It sounds like "something" probably isn't right in your set-up, if he's defensive striking, or you may have moved more quickly than he was comfortable with.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet
    OK, first - this is coming from someone who feeds live. I gather from your post, this is your first ball python.

Please be aware that even an adult ball python really requires nothing larger than a small/small rat (like 3-4 weeks old). I would hate for you to purchase a rat that is too large for your snake for your first live feeding attempt.

Also, only leave live prey in with your snake for about 20-30 minutes. If you notice that he's moving around a lot, but not going after the prey, remove the prey. If he's settled properly, your temps are perfect, and he's hungry, he should hunt from his hide rather quickly. If he hasn't eaten in 20-30 minutes, he's mostly likely not going to, so you should have a plan how you plan to house a rat for an additional week (only offer food one time a week, even with a refusal).

First and foremost, you say you're moving him into a tank. What have you been keeping him in? How large is the enclosure?

You didn't mention how long you've had your snake? Did you give him a full week to acclimate before you began handling him?

What are your temps on the cool and warm side, and what device do you use to measure those temps?

Remember when you move him to the tank, you need to give him another full week to acclimate to yet another new home.

My general rule of thumb is that I do not handle any new snake until after they've had their first meal with me (preferably two meals, so at least two weeks). Also, any of my kiddos that refuse a meal, do not get handled until they feed again, even if I know it's just an off week for them.

It sounds like "something" probably isn't right in your set-up, if he's defensive striking, or you may have moved more quickly than he was comfortable with.
    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/DSC00200.jpg

okay heres a pic of his enclosure... i have a heat med size heat mat for him... what rat size would u recommend for him?
    by the way... i got him a week ago (last sunday feb 25)... tried feeding him last wednesday (f/t fuzzy but he didnt take it)... and i left him alone for about 6 days to acclimate
    Last edited by JLC; 03-06-2007 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Pic too wide...please keep to a max of 800px wide...or use links for larger pics

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

A young rat pup or small/medium mouse. I imagine he's stressed, he doesn't have two identical hides, one on each end, and his water dish is taking up half the enclosure, you could definitely go smaller.

How are you measuring his temps? Do you have your UTH on a thermostat?

I'd stop all handling until at least 48 hours after his first successful feed with you.

Thanks

Yeah you should definently start with getting his tank set up correctly... take a look at the BP caresheet here on the site. Then just leave him be for two days or so... then maybe try to feed.