Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,360

2 members and 2,358 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My BP & Cage Setup

I just purchased my BP on saturday and was just looking for some input on my cage setup. Any input would be greatly appreciated. This is not my first snake, I had a Albino Southern Pine but when i was young and sold it about 3 years ago. Anyways any input would be greatly appreciated. I will also try to get some better pics up of the snake, my batteries died after taking two pictures. SOrry my camera isnt the greatest. Oh ya, the hot side temp is 90 degrees, the cool side temp is 70 degrees, and the hygrometer on the hot side reads 32%. SHould i place a hygrometer on the cool side as well? Also what would be the easiest way to increase the cages humidity?

Thanks

Re: My BP & Cage Setup

First welcome to BP.net.

Your pictures are coming in so try and repost them. Just from your description your cool side temps are way too low they should be in the low 80's and your humidity needs to be 45-50% (except in shed when it should be 60%.

You should check out the care sheet on this site for some basic setup info.

If you have other questions just ask away.
    Sean

Thanks

Sean

Thanks

So should i just try to relocate the water bowl directly under the light to raise the humidy or what? Also should i place a hygrometer guage on the cool side of the tank as well, or is this unneccessary? Too raise the temps on the cool side of the tank, should i just try an under thank heater? I will try to post the pics again too:

http://uploader.ws/upload/200703/Picture_009_2.jpg
    http://uploader.ws/upload/200703/Picture_010_3.jpg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lewisn07
    So should i just try to relocate the water bowl directly under the light to raise the humidy or what? Also should i place a hygrometer guage on the cool side of the tank as well, or is this unneccessary? Too raise the temps on the cool side of the tank, should i just try an under thank heater? I will try to post the pics again too:

http://uploader.ws/upload/200703/Picture_009_2.jpg
    http://uploader.ws/upload/200703/Picture_010_3.jpg
    I still cannot see the pictures but I assume you are using a fish tank? If so then the light it pry drying out the air in the tank. So my suggestion is yes move the water dish closer to the light and also close off (syran wrap, tape, etc.) part of the top of the cage to help hold the humidity in. (but not completely as you still want air flow).

As for the cool side since the light is doing fine at keeping the warm side hot enough I would suggest an UTH for the cool side. (but you will also need a thermostat or dimmer to keep the UTH from over heating the cool side)
    Sean

Thanks

I am not sure why the pictures are not visable, but I am not using a fish tank. I am using a 36x18x12 20 gallon tank. Anyways, does it matter which side of the top of the cage i cover with saran wrap? Also where can i purchase a dimmer/thermostat that will work with the UTH? Is it bad that right now my snake is relaxing in the cool side? Also my tank is in my room, should i leave the light on over the tank on 24/7 or get in on a timer for 12 hours on and 12 hours off? Also could I please try emailing you my pictures?

Thanks

What worked for me is to get an UTH and put it on the warm side. Place a towel over the screen lid to raise the humidity. I always had humidity problems with aquariums till I started putting the towel over the lid.
    You can purchase a thermostat from reptilebasics.com or you can get cheaper ones at petco. I have an expensive one and a cheap one and they both get the job done.

Thanks

My warm side is already 90 degrees, if I place a UTH under the warm side, won't it raise the warm side too much but at the same time raise the low side? Sorry everyone, i dont mean to be difficult, i just want to get my cage setup right asap so my BP is happy and healthy, I really appreciate everyones help so far!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lewisn07
    I am not sure why the pictures are not visable, but I am not using a fish tank. I am using a 36x18x12 20 gallon tank. Anyways, does it matter which side of the top of the cage i cover with saran wrap? Also where can i purchase a dimmer/thermostat that will work with the UTH? Is it bad that right now my snake is relaxing in the cool side? Also my tank is in my room, should i leave the light on over the tank on 24/7 or get in on a timer for 12 hours on and 12 hours off? Also could I please try emailing you my pictures?
    It doesn't matter which side you cover...just keep it away from the light so it doesn't melt or catch fire. Dimmers can be found at your local pet stores (that carry reptile supplies) for better Thermostats (what most of us use) try www.reptilebasics.com rRch will have all the latest (I recommend Helix (what I use) or Ranco..if cost is an issue).

If the light is going to be an issue then I suggest you get a ceramic heater (same benefit but no light) as my guess is once you shut the light off the temp will go too low)...not to mention that your bp doesn't need the light.

One other question is how you are measuring your temps...where are you placing the probe at?

As for the pics sure send them away. lordjackel@gmail.com
    Sean

Thanks

Sorry to jump in. I am not trying to confuse you with my recommendations versus lord jackel's.

Try just heating the enclosure with the UTH and without the bulb. It worked for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast