Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,321

1 members and 3,320 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Humidity Too High?

I'm using a rack system with tubs, and humidity in each tub ranges from 80-90%. There is some light condensation on the cool side of each tub, but both the substrate and the surface below the substrate are dry.

Should I be concerned?

I have melted holes into the front of the tubs for increased air flow, but that only knocked the humidity down a few percentage points to bring it to the current levels described above. I have also brought the water dishes away from the basking end.

For substrate I am using turf.

Thanks

Re: Humidity Too High?

That's higher than what I would put it at, but I don't know what cons there are for having high humidity.

Thanks

Yes, I think most people will say that is to high. I would shoot for the 60% humidity and 70-75% if they are in shed! Just my .2 though.
    "They are biting out of excessive fear, not because they are mean. Mean is a human emotion and serves no purpose in the animal kingdom" - Kevin McCurley-The Complete Ball Python

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 8b8ll
    Yes, I think most people will say that is to high. I would shoot for the 60% humidity and 70-75% if they are in shed! Just my .2 though.
    Twenty cents? That's some valuable advice!

Ok...so in the set-up I described, how do I bring the humidity down to those levels?

Thanks

Hmmm...Well I am not familiar with Rack Systems yet but I am with tubs. How many holes do you have in each one? The only thing I can think of is drilling more holes. I would say change your substrate but it is turf and that is probably the one substrate that would help lower it.
    "They are biting out of excessive fear, not because they are mean. Mean is a human emotion and serves no purpose in the animal kingdom" - Kevin McCurley-The Complete Ball Python

Thanks

Wow I did put twenty cents huh? Your right it is VERY valuable adivce!!

Thanks

Hmmm...Well I am not familiar with Rack Systems yet but I am with tubs. How many holes do you have in each one? The only thing I can think of is drilling more holes. I would say change your substrate but it is turf and that is probably the one substrate that would help lower it.
    Yeah, more holes is probably the way to go, just need to make sure temps in the tubs stay where I have them now. I worry that too much air circulation will let cold air in (I don't have the luxury of a warm room to put them in, because somebody - and I'm not naming names, because she's my wife - likes it cold in the house).

The rack system I'm using, by the way, is the 5-slot adult rack from Jason's Jungle. Heat tape runs along the back, and I added 1" thick silver-lined styrofoam insulation around the sides and back.

Thanks

Haha I hear ya on the warm room thing. Nobody in my family really cares if my snakes need a warm room....but yea what are your current temps? Are you measuring with a Thermo.?

Thanks

Haha I hear ya on the warm room thing. Nobody in my family really cares if my snakes need a warm room....but yea what are your current temps? Are you measuring with a Thermo.?
    I'm measuring temps and humidity with Radio Shack indoor/outdoor thermometer/hygrometer units, one in each tub. Units are on the cool side so I can read them through the plastic, and I run the "outdoor" probes under the turf to the basking side. I use a thermostat for the whole system and have the thermostat probe adjacent to the thermometer/hygrometer probe in one of the tubs.

Note that the humidity is measured at the units' locations, at the cool-side edge of the tubs.

• Basking temps are 90-91 day, 85-86 at night.
    • Cool side temps are 77-79 day, 76-78 at night. Cool-side temp is measured right at the edge of the tub.
    • I have a hide in each of the tubs near - but not at - the cool side...about 5"-6" into the tub, where it is somewhat warmer than the edge. When I handle them they are not cold (like they sometimes used to be when I was using tanks), so I'm not concerned about that "edge" temperature.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks

K, sounds like you know what your doing. Your just measuring the humidity on the cool side?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast