Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,272

2 members and 3,270 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

ETS problem..suggestions needed!

So, I am replacing one of my BP racks with a custom-made one and will have this one free and want some ideas for it.

It's black plastic, 4-high, and holds Sterilite 1756 tubs. The problem I've been having with it is that it has a single row of 11" flexwatt down the back and that just doesn't really get it hot enough for balls. This winter I had to wrap it in blankets during the cold spells in order for it to keep the temps adequate and I'm glad to be replacing it.

However, as it still works fine (just not warm enough for balls), I'm wondering what I could put in it. Any suggestions? I prefer fun and inexpensive over high-dollar breed-for-profit things.

Also, the only herps I have experience with so far are ball pythons and my blood python, and I'd prefer something that is hardy or not terribly demanding, or at least has been well-researched and is easy to find care information on...I'm reasonably intelligent and detail-oriented, but would feel awful if some fragile little thing suffered because I missed an essential aspect of its care.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

Re: ETS problem..suggestions needed!

Well... you could always go with corn snakes. 80-85ºF on the warm end, and don't let the cool end go below 70ºF or so. Household humidity's fine unless it's extremely high or extremely low (40-50% is generally good; if there are problems shedding, add a little more humidity). I've had mine for two years, and she rarely misses a meal, has never regurgitated, never gotten sick, and weighs right around 270-300 grams. If you do plan to breed, 300 grams is the minimum weight for a female.
    flickr
    Reptiles: 0.1 Colombian BCI

Thanks

Definitely looking at corns; they're cute and come in a lovely range of colours, and would give me a reasonable excuse for having the trio of too-cute-to die mice currently living in the bathroom, LOL.

Not averse to a lizard either though, if there's one that would do well under the above conditions.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

Fox snakes are awsome animals and usually fairly cheap when you can find them, and not alot of people have them. They are just like corns but less well known! you could also put in pines and/or bulls, just be sure to check the gaps.

I dunno what kind of lizards you could put in there if i think of one i will get back to ya!

~mike
    “The richest value of wilderness lie not in the days of Daniel Boone, nor even in the present but rather in the future.” - Aldo Leopold