Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,191

0 members and 3,191 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

what should annies be houesd in?

what sized cages should annies be housed in? i hear many different things and of course i cant figure out the real answer when i hear answers ranging from very small to very huge lol.. very small as in the snake pics ive seen in this forum where the snake takes up more than half the tub curled up.. and i keep hearing that they should be ginormous so they can move and get excersize anytime they want.. and then i hear in between where they have room to move around but they dont need that much because they sleep all the time.. im guessing inbetween would make the most sense and if that is right what exactly is in between? what would be the good dimensions for a tub of an aquarium.. im mostly talking about when they're adults but what would be good for them when they're other sizes? and does the same go for all other giant snakes about that size like burms and retics?
    - Jon

Thanks

Re: what should annies be houesd in?

What type of annies? Green or yellows? Male or females?
    lots of snakes

Thanks

I wasn't thinking of anything in particular. Could you let me know what size house would be good for each? Thanks!
    - Jon

Thanks

I am not positive, but in general a 8x3 for greens and maybe a 6x2 or 6x2.5 for yellows??
    lots of snakes

Thanks

Shelby (April) is one of the many here that have a different variety of the annies. Maybe you can SEARCH some of her threads for answers......or do a general SEARCH in the caging forum for some ideas.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

Thanks

I keep my adult male Greens in 7'x30"+, adult Green females in 7'x30" - 8'x36", Adult Male Yellows in 6'x30", Adult female Yellows in 6'x30". If anything is to grow out of any of those dimensions I will just bump it up. But for the most part, those sizes will last the snake most, if not all of it's life with no problems.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Renick
    I keep my adult male Greens in 7'x30"+, adult Green females in 7'x30" - 8'x36", Adult Male Yellows in 6'x30", Adult female Yellows in 6'x30". If anything is to grow out of any of those dimensions I will just bump it up. But for the most part, those sizes will last the snake most, if not all of it's life with no problems.
    So I was right on, sweet!
    lots of snakes

Thanks

Wink Re: what should annies be houesd in?

I keep a 6.5' female yellow annie in a 75 gallon tank (4' x 1.5' x 2') contently. There is a huge water pan in there for her because she stays in the water about 90% of the day. I think that when she hits the 8' mark, i'll move her up to one of my custom built cages.

In my experience, they are extremely active swimmers and are active in the water, in general. If a very large enclosure is offered, a small pool or pond would be greatly appreciated. They like to eat in the water as well, and not to mention, defecate in it.
    Co-owner of a reptile store

Thanks

Oh yes, LOTS of soaking! They really look like that slimy snake we always hear stories about after a nice soak.