Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,304

3 members and 3,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Free Mouse NJ

Thanks

Re: Free Mouse NJ

My only complaint about blunt force trauma is the rat does not always get killed, though it may not be moving. I did that to a rat one time with my boa and came back half an hour later and the rat was up and moving around.
    lots of snakes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tmlowe5704
    My only complaint about blunt force trauma is the rat does not always get killed, though it may not be moving. I did that to a rat one time with my boa and came back half an hour later and the rat was up and moving around.

Don't get me wromg I am not advocating slamming a rat against a wall or table. I feel the only humane way to kill a rat or mouse would be the CO2 method. I was just using that as an example to show that dropping a live mouse/rat in a cage with a hungry snake is not really a humane way to do it even tho some try to insist it is.But we all have to do what we need to do to get thru it in our heads.

Maybe I should re-word my post to say instead of blunt force trauma and being thrown in with a hungry snake to being slowly put to sleep or being fed to a hungry snake. That would be a better picture of the example I am trying to show.
    Last edited by jotay; 03-04-2007 at 01:43 PM.
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

Thanks

Let's see if I can make my feeling a little more clear on this subject. It's not specifically inhumane because it's the way it's supposed to be. Rodents are eaten by snakes...whether that occurs in my backyard or my living room...it's how it's supposed to be. I don't see predator eating prey as inhumane because I think that is imposing my human feelings or moral standards on a non-human interaction. One that's occurred for eons before we came along and will do so eons after we're all dust. To call a snake eating it's prey "inhumane" assumes that either creature has feelings similar to mine, which most likely they do not - nor do they require them, they are just fine as they are.

For me, a snake eating a rodent doesn't require me to feel anything, my intrusion of human feeling into it is, to me, quite presumptious. My role, as I see it, is to be responsible to see that feedings are done safely and that the rodent lived well in my care prior to it being fed off. Being part of this captive dynamic does though, give me a moral imperative to plan both for the snake and for the rodent so that both live and die in ways that are not intentionally cruel.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BP's Rock
    It's just a mouse - Flush it
    wow...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

They call me Emilius LOL Emilio's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,004 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno
    Let's see if I can make my feeling a little more clear on this subject. It's not specifically inhumane because it's the way it's supposed to be. Rodents are eaten by snakes...whether that occurs in my backyard or my living room...it's how it's supposed to be. I don't see predator eating prey as inhumane because I think that is imposing my human feelings or moral standards on a non-human interaction. One that's occurred for eons before we came along and will do so eons after we're all dust. To call a snake eating it's prey "inhumane" assumes that either creature has feelings similar to mine, which most likely they do not - nor do they require them, they are just fine as they are.

For me, a snake eating a rodent doesn't require me to feel anything, my intrusion of human feeling into it is, to me, quite presumptious. My role, as I see it, is to be responsible to see that feedings are done safely and that the rodent lived well in my care prior to it being fed off. Being part of this captive dynamic does though, give me a moral imperative to plan both for the snake and for the rodent so that both live and die in ways that are not intentionally cruel.
    Dam your good!!! I agree 100%
    Absolutely obsessed with ball pythons!

http://www.facebook.com/VillarinoReptiles?ref=hl

Villarino reptiles Morph market

Contacts

Villarinoreptiles@gmail.com
    Or tex 7868774281

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sho220
    wow...
    Now that is pretty funny...
    Last edited by iceman25; 03-04-2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Following the trail

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sho220
    wow...
    Last edited by iceman25; 03-04-2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Cursing.
    I dig chicks with balls

Mike P.

Thanks

Never said it was not natural. Never said it was humane. A snake eating a rodent is in no way inhumane, it is natural. But I don't feel those that fed live can think that feeding live is a humane/painless way for a rat to die. I would think drowning or being attacked and having the life squeezed out of it is equally as bad a way for the rodent to die.
    Hope this makes what I am saying a little more clear. The only humane way to feed a rodent to a snake is to CO2 then feed. Not saying it is the natural way. That is if you care to even look at one way or the other being humane. I personally feed live. I try not to put any human feelings behind it as it is what it is. Do I find any joy in watching it? No, but I do what I need to do to maintain my snakes. Do I criticize others ( not saying you do ) for the ways they kill their rats in order to feed to their snakes? No, because I would feel like a hypocrite, but hey that's just me. At the end of the day we all have to do what we feel is right and what we can live with.

Like I said just my 2 cents. Not trying to make my way the right way or change any ones mind or beliefs. Just putting my thoughts and opinion out there like everyone else does.
    ~ Johanna ~ aka Jody

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be measured by the way it's animals are treated"
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi~

VP of Cool
    Thanks

Folks,

Lets try and keep personal attacks out of the forums. Warnings via pm-s have already been dispatched to those engaging in such behavior. I'm going to open this thread back up so that positive and constructive debate can continue.

If any of the flaming/name calling and personal attacks continue, I will have no choice but to lock it back down again.

Thanks

Hmm I was offline for a bit. Sorry to hear some folks made this highly personal or "flamed" (lord I hate that internet expression!) what should be a reasonable discussion and that led to this thread being temporarily locked. Let's remember that part of any learning curve or group experience is not agreeing with each other but let's "not agree" in a civil manner. This kind of thread can give people things to think about when it comes to their snakes and the rodents they feed upon. Oh and thank you Emilio, that's kind of you to say.
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast