Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

0 members and 3,209 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is a pet store allowed to....

i went to a local pet store the other day and saw a male ball python about 3 feet or so, maybe longer. i was just there the other day, and he wasnt there before, so i asked what was up. they say a lil girl dropped him off, as she wasnt taking care of it (no heat, fed only once a month!). i ask what he was doing now, and the lady said he was $100!

now ive talked to other places since (petco, friends) and they say it is ILLEGAL to resell a pet that was GIVEN to a pet store, and that they have to find a home for the snake for free. is this true? cause i would LOVE to take care of this guy, but i cant afford him for $100 right now.

any of you guys know for sure before i go up there?
    1.2 Het Ghost, Frank; Normals, Delilah and No-Name
    1.0 African Clawed Frog, Casper
    2.0 Sliders, Stewie and Spike

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Re: Is a pet store allowed to....

Quote Originally Posted by NotAnotherHonda
    i went to a local pet store the other day and saw a male ball python about 3 feet or so, maybe longer. i was just there the other day, and he wasnt there before, so i asked what was up. they say a lil girl dropped him off, as she wasnt taking care of it (no heat, fed only once a month!). i ask what he was doing now, and the lady said he was $100!

now ive talked to other places since (petco, friends) and they say it is ILLEGAL to resell a pet that was GIVEN to a pet store, and that they have to find a home for the snake for free. is this true? cause i would LOVE to take care of this guy, but i cant afford him for $100 right now.

any of you guys know for sure before i go up there?
    Nope not illegal at all.If its a privately ownrd pet store they can do whatever they want with reptiles given up by the owners.The people at Petco do not know what they are talking about.
    Joe Haggard

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    The people at Petco do not know what they are talking about.
    Well that's news
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

darnit...i want that snake! poor guy. hes so underfed that his backbone is stickin out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons
    people at Petco do not know what they are talking about.
    this is sad...but o so true...

Thanks

If the pet store knows what the snake needs, then the snake will probably get better at the same rate as it would with you.

It's probably not illegal, or the humane society's adoption fees would be illegal as well. As far as th store is concerned, they went to the trouble of taking on a piece of inventory for no cost. Any profit on this piece of inventory is 100%! Is it completely ethical? Probably not but niether are most pet stores..
    1.0 Ball Python, Orey
    I almost always have new snake photos - check here!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Since the snake is not in good shape, they took on a possible bill-producer too. They probaly have the same attitude I have a lot of times. If someone only wants it because it's free, then they usually assign no value to it,a nd might not ake proper care of it. I'm NOT talking about the OP, there is always an exeption to every rule right? I'm sure you would be a great home, but they are a business to make money.
    They took it in, they can sell it. $100 is about the going rate for most pet ball pythons at a typical pet store around here, so it doesn't surprised me at the price.
    Think of this also, if they take in a neglected snake, it could easily need a vet visit for say ... RI. How much is that? Could run well over $100. So each animal they take in to rehab and resale can add funds to the amount they might need to spend on a later animal that needs more attention. I did the same when I took in unwanted dogs. Dog #4 might be in perfect shape, and get a home immediately. But dog#5 might have a broken leg and need $800 worth of vet care. So the other dogs I take in that are fine, and need nothing more than shots get adopted out at a fixed adoption fee. $100. Why? Yeah, I COULD give them away for free, but then who in their right mind will pay that $800 to reimburse me for vet bills on that ONE dog? I might be willing to take them in, rehab and rehome, but I can't foot that bill myself every time. So the $100 adoption fee for each dog goes to fund more rescues/adoptions.
    Looking at it that way, I can't see that someone would say they are merely making money off a 'free' snake. Some places can afford to do it, and might. Ball pythons are pretty common, and I'd suggest you keep an eye open on places like Craigslist, classifieds, and all local vets, herp shops, and pet stores for people looking to give away their own neglected or unwanted animals. You're sure to find a great snake that needs you.
    Wolfy
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound
    Since the snake is not in good shape, they took on a possible bill-producer too. They probaly have the same attitude I have a lot of times. If someone only wants it because it's free, then they usually assign no value to it,a nd might not ake proper care of it. I'm NOT talking about the OP, there is always an exeption to every rule right? I'm sure you would be a great home, but they are a business to make money.
    They took it in, they can sell it. $100 is about the going rate for most pet ball pythons at a typical pet store around here, so it doesn't surprised me at the price.
    Think of this also, if they take in a neglected snake, it could easily need a vet visit for say ... RI. How much is that? Could run well over $100. So each animal they take in to rehab and resale can add funds to the amount they might need to spend on a later animal that needs more attention. I did the same when I took in unwanted dogs. Dog #4 might be in perfect shape, and get a home immediately. But dog#5 might have a broken leg and need $800 worth of vet care. So the other dogs I take in that are fine, and need nothing more than shots get adopted out at a fixed adoption fee. $100. Why? Yeah, I COULD give them away for free, but then who in their right mind will pay that $800 to reimburse me for vet bills on that ONE dog? I might be willing to take them in, rehab and rehome, but I can't foot that bill myself every time. So the $100 adoption fee for each dog goes to fund more rescues/adoptions.
    Looking at it that way, I can't see that someone would say they are merely making money off a 'free' snake. Some places can afford to do it, and might. Ball pythons are pretty common, and I'd suggest you keep an eye open on places like Craigslist, classifieds, and all local vets, herp shops, and pet stores for people looking to give away their own neglected or unwanted animals. You're sure to find a great snake that needs you.
    Wolfy
    I agree with Wolfy...the costs to run a rescue (even at Petco) can be high...to add to the above you also have food, electricity, someone to answer questions about the animals, shelf space (that could be used for some other sale item), cleaning products, substrate, etc.

If you are looking for a "free" pet try putting up signs at your local pet stores (almost all have sign boards) saying you are willilng to adopt unwanted snakes, post on Craigslist. You could also go to a reptile show with all the imports starting to come in your should be able to find a male dirt cheap.

Just some other ideas.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

never heard of anything like that being illegal.HOWEVER, I can assure you (Joe) that not everybody that works or worked for Petco doesn't know what they're talkin' about.....
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

thanks for all the replies! i understand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast