Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,151

4 members and 3,147 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,566
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stopped eating

Thanks

stopped eating

I have a 5yo ball python. She typically stops feeding for a couple of months in the winter. It's aggravating for me, but I've learned not to fret about it too much. Now, however, it's been 4 months, and she couldn't care less if I dangle a live small rat by the tail in front of her. She otherwise looks healthy and behaves as usual, shuffling back & forth (if that's what snakes do!) between her hiding space on the warm side of the cage and the cooler spot by her water bowl. I rarely handle her except when I'm cleaning her cage.
    Should I start fretting?
    Spike

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: stopped eating

If one of my BP would go off feed what I would wonder is, "Is there any reason for that and is there anything I can do"

Often it is husbandry related and because it is the winter and people's home get cooler the temps in the enclosure can drop due to lower ambient temp.

Anyway

How big is the enclosure?
    What are the temps?
    What is the humidity?
    What do yu use to measure your temps, digital thermometer?
    How are your hides?
    Is there anything else that is relevant?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

So I should fret?
    Here's the husbandry info.
    Cage size: I'm not sure (I'll measure it tonight), but it's about 2'x4' with a mesh top.
    Temp: I have a thermostat controlling a 100-watt heat lamp directly above the wooden hide. There's also a subfloor heater under the hide. She spends about half-time under the hide and the rest on the other end of the cage next to a large water bowl (big enough for her to curl up inside it).
    Humidity: The room is dry in the winter. I spray the cage with water 2x daily, a pretty good soaking that is dry the next time I do it.
    Basically nothing has changed in that cage over the past 4 years except replacing the substrate (some herp-friendly stuff like cypress mulch).
    She goes off her feed every winter, but this is an exceptionally long time.

Thanks

Wink Re: stopped eating

My 2-year old ball python finally ate a couple of days ago after a 5 month fast. He had not eaten since September.. Before that he had never gone off feed so I think it's just due the winter season. I've heard just to keep an eye on their weight and if he/she hasn't lost too much weight, don't worry. I probably ended up tossing away about 20 mice..

Thanks

dont worry my python has just started feeding again,after 3 months.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nspikito
    So I should fret?
    Here's the husbandry info.
    Cage size: I'm not sure (I'll measure it tonight), but it's about 2'x4' with a mesh top.
    Temp: I have a thermostat controlling a 100-watt heat lamp directly above the wooden hide. There's also a subfloor heater under the hide. She spends about half-time under the hide and the rest on the other end of the cage next to a large water bowl (big enough for her to curl up inside it).
    Humidity: The room is dry in the winter. I spray the cage with water 2x daily, a pretty good soaking that is dry the next time I do it.
    Basically nothing has changed in that cage over the past 4 years except replacing the substrate (some herp-friendly stuff like cypress mulch).
    She goes off her feed every winter, but this is an exceptionally long time.
    Well this does not really answer my questions

I wanted to know the exact temps and humidity. You cannot guess them you need to know them, and the best way is to have an Acu-Rite thermometer hydrometer like this one (can be bought at walmart for around 12$/13$)

Now from my experience most BP that are not being cool down for breeding, or is not breeding will eat, and if they do go off feed before saying "oh well it's normal, he does it every year" you need to consider if there is anything that could have trigger this.

Often it is husandry related.

In the winter people's home get cooler, wich mean the ambient temp is lower and can cause the enclosure temp to be lower as well, which can cause the BP to go off feed.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I do have a digital thermometer hydrometer. I'll measure both temp & humidity at several places in the cage, and I'll let you know what I get.
    In your experience, what are optimal values?
    Thanks for your advice.
    Spike

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Instead of dangling a live rat by its tail, I would suggest getting a small/small rat and setting it down in the opposite end of the enclosure that she is in and let her hunt for it on her own terms. If she doesn't show interest in about 30 minutes then remove it.

Thanks

I do have a digital thermometer hydrometer. I'll measure both temp & humidity at several places in the cage, and I'll let you know what I get.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Spike
    80-83 cool side, 90-93 warm side, +50% humidity, bump it up to 70+ during shed.
    lots of snakes

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Thanks for your advice.
    Spike
    80-84 on the cool side
    90-94 on the warm side
    50%-60% humidity
    Deborah Stewart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast