Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,455

5 members and 3,450 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

question about jaguar pairings... someone here has to know

i'm going to be pairing up a classic jaguar (okay, techinically a 'red' jag) with a normal sib from a hypo/red hypo pairing who has extremely abnormally bright yellow coloration... anyway, i swear i read that if you cross a jag with a normal sib from the red hypo line you can get red hypo and hypo jags. does anyone know if this is confirmed? jan eric engel's site is not up anymore and he was the only person i knew of with a comprehensive list of pairings.

i'm thinking if nothing else i'm going to get some very nice jags with influence from the red line and the bright hypo colors of the normal sibs parents... maybe 'high contrast' jags as one person put it.

i guess time will tell but its fun to hypothesize

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: question about jaguar pairings... someone here has to know

Ya, pretty much whatever you get from that pairing some of them should turn out pretty awsome!!! I don't see how you could possibly go wrong with them. As for how the red hypo and hypo work...that is still somewhat of a mystery. I can give you my oppinion from what I have seen, but if you ask others you will get other oppinions. For me I just think that in any carpet clutch you are going to get a few that have much better coloration and higher contrast and up to this point people producing jags have been calling these their hypos and red hypos. There doesn't seem to be a clear recessive or co-dom thing going on with it from what I can see anyway. I would love to see some good numbers to support one way or the other, but have yet to see them. So, if I were to hypothesize I would say that when you breed that pair you will get some nice red jags, jags, red sibs, and normal sibs and in each of those four groups you may end up with 1 or 2 that have really nice color and contrast that will be the ones that will turn out to look the best. Anyway, for sure keep us posted on that pairing, can't wait to see what they put out.

Thanks

well there are a couple breeders i've talked to that feel very strongly that a true hypo jag will produce true hypo babies everytime and a true hypo jag crossed with even a red hypo normal sib will produce hypos and red hypos... basically that its of a co-dom nature. the question is if thats the case is where did the first hypos come from?? kinda like where did the first jags come from. anyway, i guess thats where my question stems from.
    thanks for your input, cant wait to see how your turn out after a few sheds.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yeah, like I said, different people have different oppinions. But, I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone hatching out hypo sibs from those "hypo" jag clutches...that is what makes it tough for me to believe. If it is indeed co-dom, then it should be passed to sibs as well. So, I am not convinced...but for sure doesn't mean it is true or not. Either way, they are great looking snakes whether they are genetic or not!!!

Thanks

i agree 100%, but then again.. the yellow on some of the sibs from the 'hypo' line certainly isnt normal for any carpet, let alone a coastal. so if that is genetic then i guess we'll see if it gets passed on when i finally breed those two.

like you said, it doesnt really matter anyway... i guess genetics just interest me, especially when i think about how cut and dry BP's and whatnot can be compared to jags.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I can show you pics of some of the coastals I have produced from normal adults that other people have said they would have guessed were jag sibs...but I KNOW they were not. There really is a TON of variation within carpet clutches. I will see if I can find a pic or two of a couple of the nicest ones that I hatched a couple of years ago from normal coastal adults.

Thanks

that'd be awesome... you can never see too many pictures!