Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,225

0 members and 3,225 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: African Soft Fur Rat Questions

Ok...I found someone near Indianapolis that will sell me a trio of them...but for $50!

This seems really high to me? Can anyone "that has bought them" comment? Or better yet have another idea on how to get them?

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbkd
    A few simple points on raising the ASF rats is:

#1) they don't smell nearly as much as mice or rats!!!!!!! A big plus for me!!!

#2) I can produce more feeders in a smaller space, compared to rats.

#3) My snakes like them better. Besides my BP's, my corns and milks like them better than large mice.

#4) They are getting more and more common in our area.I have already talked to my local pet stores about buying my extras and they want them, so they will be avail. They will spread quicker than you think.(not sure where in NJ you are) I bet there will be some frozen ones at the Hamburg show this weekend if you ask the right folks.

#5) they are closer to a mouse or rat than a gerbil.

#6) The only negative thing I find with them is they nibble a little when you handle them. For that matter, my older female rats bite me more when I take their pups.

#7) Folks that don't like change or except change get left behind. Don't knock it, till you try it.

Just my .

Great Points....I love lists they are easy to understand and get the points.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

If the ASF produce the giant litters, and have less smell, and all the pluses... then they will become more and more common, until the rodent industry is producing them as much as they are mice and rats. At that point you'll see a lot mroe people jump on them. At this point, a few people really like them, and use them.
    I've fed a few different snakes the ASF and they eat rats afterwards just fine. I even offered my male hatchling a fuzzy ASF and he ate that, then ate reg rat pinks and fuzzies without issue. He'll eat whatever he's offered.
    There is potential with these new rodents, and they may take off. If they do, there will be some people who get to say "Hey, I've had those for YEARS!" and look good.
    Personally, I haven't yet seen the giant litters, and although they don't have ammonia smells like the big rats, I do note a different rank odor if you don't clean the bins. But they ALSO seem to pick a potty corner, which makes it easy to spot clean.
    All only my own personal experiance.
    If they start producing larger litters, I'll set up for a large colony of them. If they continue to produce so-so litters, I'll feed them all off and go back to nothing but reg rats. When I have to retire large rat breeders, I'll find someone with a big snake to trade out the rats. You give me two smalls, I'll give you one giant.
    I'll talk about my own experiance with the ASF, but I'm not convinced myself yet. And the buggers BITE.
    Wolfy
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel
    Ok...I found someone near Indianapolis that will sell me a trio of them...but for $50!

This seems really high to me? Can anyone "that has bought them" comment? Or better yet have another idea on how to get them?

Thanks
    This isn't uncommon for a price in a area where they are new only a couple people have them. When I first saw them the price was $75-$100...for a trio! I thought no way these people are nuts! I got my starting group in trade as I was intrigued but still could not see dropping the cash. When I was asked originally I would tell people $30/trio and it still felt wrong! There are a few of us in MI now with them though and the price has dropped considerably even when I see others selling the at shows. You can either wait until the price drop which is usually a very steep drop or jump on them and then try and make some money back by selling some of your offspring. Most of the people I have talked to who spent the money have gotten at least some of the initial back by selling their extra's.
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TekWarren
    This isn't uncommon for a price in a area where they are new only a couple people have them. When I first saw them the price was $75-$100...for a trio! I thought no way these people are nuts! I got my starting group in trade as I was intrigued but still could not see dropping the cash. When I was asked originally I would tell people $30/trio and it still felt wrong! There are a few of us in MI now with them though and the price has dropped considerably even when I see others selling the at shows. You can either wait until the price drop which is usually a very steep drop or jump on them and then try and make some money back by selling some of your offspring. Most of the people I have talked to who spent the money have gotten at least some of the initial back by selling their extra's.
    I didn't think of reselling some down the road to recoup the initial costs.

Good points...Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123