Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,227

1 members and 3,226 guests
myah,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: African Soft Fur Rat Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill
    Well, that is yet to be seen. I have talked to a couple people that haven't had a problem with them imprinting on them. They seem more like a cross between a rat and a mouse than a gerbil. The biggest plus for me to even try to experiment with these is the fact that they they don't outgrow the feeding size I prefer as quickly as rats do. Am I switching all my snakes over to these, no. They're just another tool in the shed.
    Rock on man! One man's Gerbil is another man's Rouse...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill
    Well, that is yet to be seen. I have talked to a couple people that haven't had a problem with them imprinting on them. They seem more like a cross between a rat and a mouse than a gerbil. The biggest plus for me to even try to experiment with these is the fact that they they don't outgrow the feeding size I prefer as quickly as rats do. Am I switching all my snakes over to these, no. They're just another tool in the shed.
    Awww..the wonders of the opinion. In this case I agree with Wild Bill. Now all I have to do is find someone to sell me some to get started with.

Thanks

Jamie, I'm not sure what the purpose was for you to bring up the uh..."acronym" you found. If it was another way to put down those interested in these rats...well I don't get it.

Again I will reiterate the whole imprint assumption, I have offered rats or mice successfully after feeding several times using asf rats. That doesn't mean that others won't get imprint feeders but isn't just as well if they are able to get a non feeding animal to feed? Or that animal who doesn't feed well to start feeding regularly? I have experienced both of these cases myself. Again saying there is no point and that other breeders will see no point is just silly. It is NOT that difficult to track down these rodents once people collaborate. Maybe you are not raising your own rodents but I am and I am more than happy with the outcome of raising asf rats over "standard" rodents. Its been a win-win situation for me and until that changes no one can tell me I'm wrong or that there is no point.

...when people started using plastic tubs/racks for housing reptiles and keeping them individually I am willing to bet there was just as much skepticism...It will pass
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TekWarren
    Jamie, I'm not sure what the purpose was for you to bring up the uh..."acronym" you found. If it was another way to put down those interested in these rats...well I don't get it.
    Nope, just an attempt to ratchet down the tension!

Again I will reiterate the whole imprint assumption, I have offered rats or mice successfully after feeding several times using asf rats. That doesn't mean that others won't get imprint feeders but isn't just as well if they are able to get a non feeding animal to feed? Or that animal who doesn't feed well to start feeding regularly? I have experienced both of these cases myself. Again saying there is no point and that other breeders will see no point is just silly. It is NOT that difficult to track down these rodents once people collaborate. Maybe you are not raising your own rodents but I am and I am more than happy with the outcome of raising asf rats over "standard" rodents. Its been a win-win situation for me and until that changes no one can tell me I'm wrong or that there is no point.

...when people started using plastic tubs/racks for housing reptiles and keeping them individually I am willing to bet there was just as much skepticism...It will pass
    I raise my own rats and I don't see the point of ASF rats. You do and thats all that matters!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38

I raise my own rats and I don't see the point of ASF rats. You do and thats all that matters!
    A few simple points on raising the ASF rats is:

#1) they don't smell nearly as much as mice or rats!!!!!!! A big plus for me!!!

#2) I can produce more feeders in a smaller space, compared to rats.

#3) My snakes like them better. Besides my BP's, my corns and milks like them better than large mice.

#4) They are getting more and more common in our area.I have already talked to my local pet stores about buying my extras and they want them, so they will be avail. They will spread quicker than you think.(not sure where in NJ you are) I bet there will be some frozen ones at the Hamburg show this weekend if you ask the right folks.

#5) they are closer to a mouse or rat than a gerbil.

#6) The only negative thing I find with them is they nibble a little when you handle them. For that matter, my older female rats bite me more when I take their pups.

#7) Folks that don't like change or except change get left behind. Don't knock it, till you try it.

Just my .

Keeper of many different types of animals and plants.

http://www.jbffarms.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbkd
    A few simple points on raising the ASF rats is:

#1) they don't smell nearly as much as mice or rats!!!!!!! A big plus for me!!!

#2) I can produce more feeders in a smaller space, compared to rats.

#3) My snakes like them better. Besides my BP's, my corns and milks like them better than large mice.

#4) They are getting more and more common in our area.I have already talked to my local pet stores about buying my extras and they want them, so they will be avail. They will spread quicker than you think.(not sure where in NJ you are) I bet there will be some frozen ones at the Hamburg show this weekend if you ask the right folks.

#5) they are closer to a mouse or rat than a gerbil.

#6) The only negative thing I find with them is they nibble a little when you handle them. For that matter, my older female rats bite me more when I take their pups.

#7) Folks that don't like change or except change get left behind. Don't knock it, till you try it.

Just my .

Rock on man!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jglass38
    You couldn't pay me to switch my snakes from regular old rats to this ridiculous fad of ASFR. I wouldn't feel right trying to sell someone a snake that might be imprinted on them. They are not readily available at pet stores and most likely will never be.
    110% agreeable.

I wouldn't want to risk getting my snakes stuck on ASFR and not be able to swithc them off!! Regular rats are still more readily ava. than ASFR are.

Now If you can get the whole country on them, I would try them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stangs13

Now If you can get the whole country on them, I would try them.
    Drat! you've unraveled my plan to take over the world!
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

I like the African rats. The biggest attraction is that they have very little smell. That makes breeding them easier on me
    ALso, good point on saying you can breed them in a smaller space. These animals are smaller than a typical rat. Also, since they don't get as big as a typical rat, you don't have to worry about size issues when feeding a ball python because a full grown asf rat is the perfect size for an adult ball python. I was going to breed regular rats and wondered what I would do with retired breeders since they were so large. I couldn't feed it to my ball python...I mean, I suppose I could try but why put that stress of an oversized meal on my snake? And I certianly didn't want to waste a perfectly good rat. With African soft furs, that isn't an issue.
    I was also worried about imprinting on these guys since I have a freezer full of regular rats. HOwever, I suppose I got lucky with my snake because he switches from frozen thawed to live, regular rats to asf rats with little hesitation. He is now fasting though so everything is on hold (although my rats don't know this and are STILL breeding!!!)

The only thing I don't like about asf rats is their demeanor. They are biters. I would go as far as say aggressive. You can try to coddle them from birth but they reach a certain point where the teeth come out. And yes, it hurts!

Everyone has their own opinion on the matter. Just don't say this is a fad....I don't want to hear that. I want to see this go the distance.

Thanks

if they truely are better eaters on these, I would love to see it spread. I would rather my rats which are larger faster though
    lots of snakes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast