Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,170

0 members and 3,170 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Bearded Dragon Rescues, Advice Needed

I haven't been on much here lately, ah life, you can be so time consuming.
    Anyway; I could use some help right now.
    Long story short(acually its very short) I now have 2 bearded dragons in my care(male and female) Who have been housed together since they where hatchlings.
    They never recived any sort of suppliments aside from gut loaded crikets from the store. They are in a long tank thats fairly deep(plenty of room for both) and have a I-forgot-the-acronym-its-late-sun-light-thing. With a heat lamp and a quickly removed and disposed of heat rock.

They where fed romain lettus everyday with crikets on fridays for 4 years. The male is juuust 12 inches and the female is about 13. According to the previous owner the female laid eggs a year ago but the male ended up eatting them.
    I just recived them tonight(as a 'suprise' gift from someone who bought them off of craigslist...) and they are still in the same tank(as they have been for quite a while so I'm not panicing on that, I'm sure they can not kill eachother for another week or so...someone correct me if I'm wrong)
    I know the basics of dragon care, I'v been debating on getting one for a few months(Which is probebly why I now have these, I need to learn who I talk around...).
    I'm just not sure were to go with these 2. The male's tail has a dead tip(almost an inch long) and is shedding. The female looks pretty good but is missing almost an inche of tail it looks like. She also looks kinda...funny. Like her bones arn't hard almost and she looks a bit unstable when she tries to scratch on the glass, like she can't rear back.Their back legs look perfectly functioning though. I'm just now looking around about every illness i can find. (They arrived here about 2 hours ago and are finally set up). I'm might not keep both of them, I barly have room for 1 cage, I'll be sleeping on my window sill if I keep them both! ....which is still very very tempting....
    I'm going to start supplimenting them as soon as possible with calcium with D3 and gut loaded Crikets. Any advice on what I should do with these guys would be great, I may buy silkworms as they are supposed to be excellent but I'm not sure where I can find them(the internet stumps me sometimes ). I'm going to see if my vet will look at them sometime this week but chances are she'll be filled up until March(only reptile vet in my area thats decent). What should I be taking them in for? General Health Check? Signs of illness?

Any and all advice is welcome and greatly appriceated! Any information on where I can find one of them a good home if need be would be great as well!

P.S. I'm buying supplies for them online tomorrow(not the food type, the lighting and heating type) Any recomendations?

P.P.S. I'v already looked over about 3 highly detailed caresheets and have more to read after this post but all links are welcomed!

Thanks all!
    Sugar
    1.0 Boyfriend
    3.1 Mobile barking furs
    2.0 Claw-Tastic Felines
    1.1 Tarahamara Boas
    1.0 Hoggy
    12.7 BPs
    Rats x Infinity

Thanks

Re: Bearded Dragon Rescues, Advice Needed

You have the right idea, get them on suppliments immediately, however, I reccommend buying a very good quality suppliment, such as RepCal brand, they have a multi vitamin and they also have d3 w/ calcium.

Depending on how old your UV bulbs are, consider getting new ones, if they are the tube type, you should be changing those out every 6 months whether you think it needs it or not..they slowly start putting out less and less usable UV. Flood lamps (the outdoor type) work real well for providing heat and UV... they currently may not be getting enough UV to process the vitamins to begin with, that would explain the condition you described of the female... separate them..immediately. It is not good to have her getting pregnant in her condition. When possible, get them outside in natural sun light, providing a place for them to get out of it if wanted. This is if weather permits.

Romain Lettuce by itself is not appropriate, I am sure you have read this by now. Improve thier diet immediately and you will see a huge difference. And be prepared, they can put away more greens than you would think.
    Last edited by Jeanne; 02-19-2007 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Added more info
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"