Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,490

2 members and 3,488 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Childrens Python help...im desperate

hey everyone.
    im new to the site, and to the snake world. but i recently got a childrens python and he wont eat. he ate frozen/thawed before i got him (hes just a baby still) but i got him home and he wont eat. he struck at the first mouse right away, but missed somhow and never tried again. after 2 weeks i brought him to the place i got him and left it with the owner. he woudlnt eat a frozen/thawed for him eather..but after having a live pinky in with him for bout 30 someodd hours he eat it. so i got him back...tried frozen/thawed again..nothing, waited a week..tried agian..nothing. SO now i got him a live one..and..he wont eat. 1 pinky in almost 2 months now. any sugestions as to what i could do? your help would be greatly apreciated!
    oh, and on the frozen ones i tried to cut the mouse and feed it to him and he wouldn't take it
    if u have any suggestions that would be great! thanks.
    popcompc@hotmail.com is my email to btw.
    cheers

Thanks

Re: Childrens Python help...im desperate

I'm no pro at children's but it sounds to be stress. It was hard to follow your timeline with this snake but it sounded like this thing was moved around alot, leave it alone for awhile and if it was on frozen thawed already, i'd suggest you keep it that way. Have you tried dangling it by tongs because thats the only way one of my bp's will eat. Don't mess with it too much and make sure its habitat meets the requirements so not to stress it anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Popcom
    hey everyone.
    im new to the site, and to the snake world. but i recently got a childrens python and he wont eat. he ate frozen/thawed before i got him (hes just a baby still) but i got him home and he wont eat. he struck at the first mouse right away, but missed somhow and never tried again. after 2 weeks i brought him to the place i got him and left it with the owner. he woudlnt eat a frozen/thawed for him eather..but after having a live pinky in with him for bout 30 someodd hours he eat it. so i got him back...tried frozen/thawed again..nothing, waited a week..tried agian..nothing. SO now i got him a live one..and..he wont eat. 1 pinky in almost 2 months now. any sugestions as to what i could do? your help would be greatly apreciated!
    oh, and on the frozen ones i tried to cut the mouse and feed it to him and he wouldn't take it
    if u have any suggestions that would be great! thanks.
    popcompc@hotmail.com is my email to btw.
    cheers
    Welcome to the group first off .Well i have a baby Childrens python also so i might be able to assist you here some.When you brought it home did you leave it totaly alone for 1 week? This means no handleing or anything other then giving it fresh water.When you have a snake moved from one home to another it places stress on them.Everything is new and they need time alone to settle in.The switching from frozen thawed to live and back is not helping him either.I suggest you leave him alone for a full week and try to feed him,if he does not eat within a hour take the rodent out.Keep us posted on his progress.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Welcome to the site and the world of "pocket pythons"!

I have gotten past some feeding issues and will try and offer some help also. The "settling" in period is important for any animal this should be a period where you disturb the snake as little as possible and generally shouldn't offer food yet. Once your past that and if you still have feeding issues try some of these things:

If the little guy won't eat in his normal enclosure try covering the enclosure so it has total darkness. I had a real challenge with a hatchling and ended up having to use a small deli cup and placed the snake and the pinky into it and wrapped it in a towel for total darkness.

Another weird thing that I had read or someone told me was to "wash" the pinky and hold it in my enclosed hand before offering it. -Holding in your hand sounds weird but in combination with deli cup in the towel it got my problem feeder eating. I primarily feed frozen pinks I raise myself but mine will take live or frozen now and hasn't missed a meal since. I've never been bitten by this snake either even when using the pinky in the hand method. The snake I speak of is probably at the top of my list of favorites, awesome disposition....but the little pythons are just cool anyways!
    www.ASFRats.info African soft-furred rats information and exchange.

www.WarrenReptiles.com
    Website Hosting available see site for details

Thanks

A bit off topic, but what is a childrens python??
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

Thanks

I have had several issues with my pair of young childrens as well. Mostly due to the fact that they do not like being disturbed while feeding. When feeding, make sure their enclosure is dark and do not open the enclosure to check on them. Children's are great snakes...however, they do sometimes require a little extra work to get started. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tweets_4611
    A bit off topic, but what is a childrens python??

Children's pythons are the second smallest python in the world. They are a part of a group of 'pygmy' pythons that originate from Austrailia. The do not usually exceed 3 ft in length and are great captives.

Thanks

thanks for your help guys.
    i have left him totally alone since i got'm, and i give him fresh water. i tried to feed him in the little container i brought him home in (as the guy at the reptile store told me to try) with a cover so it was totaly black. i just bought a thermometer and im currently testing his heating pad to see what temp it is at. i think it may be to cool for him..eatherway thanks for the suggestions and ill keep u guys posted

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Popcom
    thanks for your help guys.
    i have left him totally alone since i got'm, and i give him fresh water. i tried to feed him in the little container i brought him home in (as the guy at the reptile store told me to try) with a cover so it was totaly black. i just bought a thermometer and im currently testing his heating pad to see what temp it is at. i think it may be to cool for him..eatherway thanks for the suggestions and ill keep u guys posted
    Are you aware of the proper temps?Just incase the hot side is 80-85. Not being rude just wanting to make sure and if you need help i will be here for awhile tonight.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1983

Children's pythons are the second smallest python in the world. They are a part of a group of 'pygmy' pythons that originate from Austrailia. The do not usually exceed 3 ft in length and are great captives.
    Nice pic of the childern's.....What's the smallest python in the world?
    ~ 1.0.0 Python regius ~ Wild-type ~
    ~
    1.0.0 Canis familiaris ~ Blue Italian Greyhound ~

~ 0.0.9 Danio rerio~ Wild-type and Glofish

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mendel's Balls
    Nice pic of the childern's.....What's the smallest python in the world?
    Anthill python. Wicked cool snakes
    -Daniel Hill
    Facebook: facebook.com/hillherp/
    Instagram: instagram.com/hillherp/
    Twitter: twitter.com/hillherp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast