Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,280

1 members and 3,279 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: should we get a bunny?

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess
    you are not helping!
    Sorry...while I was looking at them and thinking of Sheree's bunbuns, I was also thinking how tasty rabbit meat is...sooo...both sides of the coin, so to speak. =D
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

oh sure now you ARE going to put me into therapy over it

should i buy it for a pet or buy it for dinner????
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

If you get one, maybe you could go through a rescue? I hate to see the amount of bunnies for adoption on Petfinder, etc.. then there are so many people out there breeding them for no reason. I know you though, and I know you always like helping animals in need.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

actually we are planning on getting it from the spca if we do get one... as long as there aren't too many hoops to jump through. our local spca can be difficult to get a pet from.

but we are going to try IF we get one.
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

It really comes down to, I think, what's worth it to you in a critter.

I love birds, adore them! And we picked up the cutest little cockatiel named Zell. Long story short, we loved her to bits and pixels but she made us smegging insane and vice versa! The noise... oh god, the noise... Constant skeeking and getting underfoot. Eventually an extremely hook-bill savvy co-worker of Karen's offered to babysit her, and ultimately adopted her. Best case scenerio for everybody! Zell got the kind of environment she needed and we got the peace and sanity we needed. (mm, the silence of snakes and rabbits...) We still love birds, but we now prefer to admire them either via birdfeeder or visiting them at friends/petstores. We can visit Zell at her new mommy's, which is great! We do love the little skeeker!. But we're definitely not getting a bird again. Or mice.

All our critters give us drama one way or another. Our cat (cat is a misnomer, she's more like a very short fuzzy grandma) cries if we don't use the toilet "on time" and is hell to medicate, the bunnies don't like getting their toenails clipped and enjoy tearing up carpet, Neptune's getting better but he still wants to take a bite out of me if I touch him, Ma-tsu keeps teasing me about eggs, Irwin always poops/everts when I pick him up, Gomez... well, Gomez is an angel as is Falkor, but still. They're worth every hassle to us, and I can't imagine living in a home that doesn't include these guys in it. I mean, Daphne just cost us... well, everything. We're broke now, but looking into that sweet little face makes it all worth it to us.

Rabbits are quiet, sweet, cuddly, lots of personality, playful bundles of love that can live a good 12 years or so if spayed/neutered etc (also, easier to litter train when they're altered). They're also destructive, curious, mischevious, high maintenance, co-dependant little monsters that will test you and don't like to do what's best for them. It just all comes down to what's worth it to you, and if they're a good fit for your home. Everybody's critter needs are different, the tricky part is just determining what they are before it's too late!

Anywho, I hope that helps you make up your mind. We do the same song and dance over lizards (cute leezards!) all the time, but as we have no room or money currently that's solved that puzzle for us. A list of pros and cons may be a good idea, and if you love that bunny so much the cons don't matter? I say go for it. If they do, then it's probably not meant to be.

BTW, Ginevive, we got our Bowie boy via Petfinder! I love that site. We planned to get our third bunny there too, but Unut was a love at first sight situation. Someday, after we move to a bigger place and have money again, we hope to get a lop through there. It's also nice when a critter comes spayed/neutered, yeash that gets expensive, especially with girls.
    Last edited by MedusasOwl; 02-05-2007 at 04:36 PM.
    ~Sheree~

Because Snakes are Beautiful!
    http://www.bluegorgon.com/

4.1 snakes so far (Gomez, Falkor, Ma-tsu, Neptune, Irwin)
    2.1 house rabbits (Daphne, Bowie, Unut)
    0.1 Jeweled Lacerta (Dana)
    In loving memory of Cleo
    1989-2007

Thanks

As for the smelly cage we have use lot of different bedding for are boy and the one we like and think works the best is the cell-sorb pellets, most pet store use it its a blackish color and its super asorbent, use just change the corners daily or every other day were he/she goes and its not a problem, as for training it's not hard start off with a litter box in her/his cage in the corner they frequent. we were lucky that ours was trained when we got him, but they are great little pets...
    i'm nervous to get one... because of the smell of them and i'm worried i won't be able to litter train it.
    Joe

Thanks

now this is the kind of response i was hoping to get... some ideas and honest experience!

thanks!!!
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MedusasOwl
    BTW, Ginevive, we got our Bowie boy via Petfinder! I love that site. We planned to get our third bunny there too, but Unut was a love at first sight situation. Someday, after we move to a bigger place and have money again, we hope to get a lop through there. It's also nice when a critter comes spayed/neutered, yeash that gets expensive, especially with girls.
    Awesome! A friend of mine does cat and dog adoptions through there.. it really is an awesome site.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

i checked... petfinder in canada doesn't have a single pet in bc for adoption.
    in light, Aleesha

Thanks

we wanted to get a pet for my 4 soon to be 5 year old girl, she just LOVES animals but my boy is allergic to dogs & cats so he got a snake and oddly enough he's not allergic to the bunny so we got him for her. she gets the water for him and food but we clean the cage and when we do she holds him and plays with him and gives him BIG squeeshy hugs...lol..
    now this is the kind of response i was hoping to get... some ideas and honest experience!

thanks!!!
    Joe

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast