Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,360

2 members and 3,358 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Will Take Unwanted Reptiles

wow it sounds like you've got quite a bit of experience under your belt.

now all you need is pics for us

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Yeah, the pet store that's been in business for 15 years will continue to do business, as long as people continue to buy from them. I'm really glad there are people like you around to rescue reptiles, there is certainly a need. But I wish you'd rethink buying any, as a 'rescue'.
    Make sure to drag through craigslist really often, I always miss stuff by one day on there. Are you on speaking terms with the local humane society type places? If so they could also refer people to you as a rescue for reptiles, since some really dislike taking in reptiles in general.
    Sorry to hear about your fire. My dad burned down the hsoue delibritely backs ome years ago. It really sucks terrible.
    Wolfy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess
    chase13,

there was nothing wrong with her posting this thread in this section. she had every right to.
    I never meant to say she had now RIGHT to, but that there could have been a better and even more succesful approach to what she wanted to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by emeraldtree79
    Thanks Daniel,
    I'm trying to re-build my facility and i just had to spend over a 100 for a emerald tree boa (granted thats a great deal for one) but the poor thing 5months ago came into this pet store and got a eye infection instead of treating it he ended up losing it and now has one i eye, he and another emerald has been in dry shed for up to 4 months, dehydrated and thin. Not been handled either. I decided to get him out of there and now he is doing wonderful. I'm trying to save up to 250 just to get the other out of there.

But i deal with the large and very aggressive taming is what i like to do spending time with the animal until he feels so comfortable around me and others that he becomes dog tame.

and i have had almost everything even up to about 13 ft with scub pythons and retics, any sort of tree dwellers is usually what i end up with just because of their loner instinct and attitude i'm destined for the "angry", Just wish people would read before getting something.
    Ummm, just my opinion but why would you by these animals from this abusive pet store. If you really dig into this, you'll see that you are just as bad as they are. Your giving these people money for these abused animals and they are profiting and will bring more in to abuse. This will be a never ending chain. You buying their animals will only provoke them to by more animals cuz they now what is working. I think it is great that you want to rescue them but buying them isnt the answer. Trust me cuz ive been in you situation every day. I live in Marshalltown Iowa and all we have for animal supplies (other than walmart and stuff) is an Earl May. It's base profit is plants. They have a ton of hamsters and anoles, iguanas, pacmans, and fish and EVERY SINGLE ONE IS KEPT HORRIBLY. Nobody there knows ANYTHING ABOUT ANYTHING. I want to cry everytime i walk in. They once got a tokay in and decided to put it in a 5 GALLON TANK. THE ANIMAL WAS LONGER THAN THE CAGE. I couldn't believe it. I asked if they would put it somewhere else and they said that they didnt want to use another one of their 10 gallons. I bought it and i regret it ever since now that i realize that i am just supporting them. There are other ways to deal with this and maybe even shut them down. Call animal rescue league or something but dont give those devils what they want. I'm not flaming im just trying to show you the truth.

Thanks

I believe you have a valid point, but

Quote Originally Posted by Chase13
    buying them isnt the answer.
    Letting them die isn't the answer either.

Surely, if you're given the opportunity to pay to get an animal out of terrible conditions, you would, rather than letting it die. I think at the time of the purchase it'd be a wise thing to let them know why you're purchasing..because you think it's gonna die! right?

Thanks

I don't really agree with buying poorly taken care of animals either chase. But it beats the alternative of them dieing.

The best thing to do in that case is talk them into giving you a big of enough discount that they arent making money. You also need to realize that alot of pet store really don't make that much money on their pets. They have to feed and "take care of" said animals. They make all of their money on the accessories and food products.
    1.0 Green tree python

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

i agree... buying them is not the answer. calling the SPCA and letting them do their job IS the answer.

cause buying them, just allows them to bring in another critter and treat them equally bad. it creates a cycle of abuse.
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recycling goddess
    i agree... buying them is not the answer. calling the SPCA and letting them do their job IS the answer.
    unfortunately, they don't do much of anything in my neck of the woods. I have called on multiple pet stores near me and the only thing they will do is go have a "talk" with the pet store.

It is ridiculous.

I think if pet stores here were abusing dogs spca would be all over that, but they just don't know enough about reptiles to realize when they are being very poorly taken care of.
    1.0 Green tree python

BPnet Veteran recycling goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

then enlighten your spca. print out caresheets and talk to the people in charge. it's amazing how much can be done if you put your heart into it
    in light, Aleesha

You have 1440 minutes a day... how are you going to spend yours?

Thanks

Oh I have tried talking to the spca. I have tried talking to stores... very frustrating.

I even got a job at one of said stores to try and turn it around but they refused to redo their enclosures... (they were built poorly and held NO humidty at all)

anyway, i just avoid pet stores in my area anymore.
    1.0 Green tree python

Thanks

To be honest, i used to work there- it was only a temp job and 2 years later was still there. The only reason i stayed was because i wanted to help save the animals and then i honestly could not take it any more,not only do they treat their animals poorly but their employees as well.

They are already in the database for the Cruelty for animals website, for several reasons, but they also have a friend i believe working for the SPCA- they get complaints ever day but it just gets thrown out. I've done my research- people are trying to figure out how to shut them down in Dallas.

But i wish i was a strong as you not to get them out of there, and they know why i am buying it and they give me discounts, its not more or less the employees- they try, its the owners- they don't care but for the money.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast