Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,325

2 members and 3,323 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

View Poll Results: What is the best kind of geckos?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • crested

56 46.28%
  • leopard

62 51.24%
  • skunk

1 0.83%
  • tokay

17 14.05%
  • other (please tell what kind)

8 6.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: what is the best kind of geckos?

If you dont mind an aggressive species get a tokay , real easy to care for , GREAT appetite and a real looker of a gecko...they can become "tame" but really there mainly a display only animal imo
    [b]Steve Irwin Febuary 22nd 1962 - September 4th 2006 [font=Century Gothic]R.I.P

Thanks

I love my golden gecko. They are more aggressive like the tokays and harder to care for so not a great choice for a beginner. Mine is fun to watch at feeding time - very aggressive feeder.

Thanks

Leos are easy to care for and while they do love crickets, I primarily feed them mealworms which I grow myself. Instructions for breeding mealworms are available by doing a google search and is easy as can be to have free food. Leave calcium available to them at all times.
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks

I don’t think there is any way to answer what the ‘best’ type of gecko is, because it is ultimately a highly personal question.

For the sake of options on this poll I chose the Crested Gecko. I love those lil’guys. They always look like they are smiling, and they are freekin’ adorable! The fact that they change color/hue is also neat. Plus, they lick their own eyeballs! So cool. Their care is relatively simple (as far as owning exotics go), since they can live at room temp and do not require special lighting since they are nocturnal. They can also live on Crested Gecko Diet, a powder that you mix with water into a paste. Crickets are a good supplement while they are growing, but after the first year they can be discontinued. All in all, I think they are an amazing gecko.

Oh, and I have one, so I’m admittedly biased.

Although as for “other” I’d definitely give props to the Rhacodactylus Leachianus. The largest gecko on earth should definitely get an honorable mention! Those guys are awesome. I’ve had the opportunity to handle a few, and they are just great. They vocalize with different chirps and whistles, growls, whines and even purrs. I also really like how ‘prehistoric’ they look. I am totally going to get one when I have the space to build it a large enough enclosure. (Many people keep them in exo-terra 18x18x24, but personally I'd like something larger.)

NOTE: I greatly abbreviated the Crested Gecko care requirements. Please see the Crested Gecko Care Sheet for more detailed information!
    Last edited by NightLad; 05-31-2008 at 12:59 AM.
    This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NightLad For This Useful Post:

slither2 (08-02-2009)

Registered User Envied Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

I vote crested geckos, so easy to care for and so addicting most people I know start w/ 1 and w/ina month have a sloidlittle collection (although all herps tend to be that way). Also, not a begginer gecko but as awesome as any gecko you will see are the leaftail geckos Uroplatus... google mossy leaftail gecko, satanic leaftail gecko, corkbark leaftail gecko etc.
    --- enviedreptiles.com ---

Thanks

i really like my tokay gecko. im not really a handler so the fact i cant touch him doesnt bother me. they are gorgeous and they bark at you and they are real fiesty.

thats my trogdor^^
    1.0 husband 2.0 children * 1.1 doggies * 1.1 kitties * 0.1 dumerils boa * 1.0 argentine boa * 1.1 normal ball pythons * 1.0 normal kenyan boa * 0.1 anery kenyan boas * 1.0 tokay gecko * 1.0 russian tortoise * 1.0 beardie *

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123