Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,409

4 members and 3,405 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Trantula Bald spot

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH
    My bad, I didn't notice the food dish and pellets. I thought we were referring to the photos in the original post.

You don't want to breed if you don't know the species because the last thing anyone wants is for the hobby to get flooded with hybrids, especially when you don't even know what species are involved. If you are buying a b. smithi sling for example, you don't want one that is a cross breed between a b. smithi and a b. vagans (if such a hybrid is even possible).
    Ahh... okay, so it's a hybrid issue. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something else like an arachnophagous response or spontaneous combustion.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH
    You don't want to breed if you don't know the species because the last thing anyone wants is for the hobby to get flooded with hybrids, especially when you don't even know what species are involved. If you are buying a b. smithi sling for example, you don't want one that is a cross breed between a b. smithi and a b. vagans (if such a hybrid is even possible).
    No, that's not why. Hybrid breeding tarantulas (inverts in general) is not like breeding dogs or cats. While you can breed a mastiff with a lab, you can not breed a Brachypelma with a Haplopelma just as an example.

Interbreeding different species doesn't work....they will kill each other.
    With some species that are *very* closely related (such as Brachypelma smithi and emilia) it is possible to get them to breed, but unlikely, however, B. smithi and vagans are not close enough in sub species to be able to breed...or even want to mate. Grammostola rosea and G. pulchra can not be successfully bred, even though they are in the same genus.

Hybrids are not the problem, killing each other is.
    Every species of tarantula has a particular method, if you will, of courting in addition to the pheromones they give off. If the pheromones and mating style of the male and female are not correct for the species, one will kill the other because it will be viewed as in intruder rather than a potential mate.
    Also, when tarantulas of the same genus family and close in sub species *are* successfully bred, the offspring tend to suffer from one or all of the following things:

Infertility
    Deformities
    Immature death

~Denise~
    My pet and critter list......in short form:
    38 different tarantula species
    8 different scorpion species
    0.1.0 MBK
    1.0.0 Bull snake
    1.0.0 Blue point Siamese
    1.0.0 Black/gray tabby
    1.0.0 husband
    1.4.0 Children

Lunacy General, Not Crazy, Just Different

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC
    I don't think she's asking about hairs....but about the pellets of food(?) in a little food dish. Why would there be pellet-food in a T's enclosure? (And if that's not what she's asking about, it's still something that tweaked MY curiosity... )
    Yep, that was it!!! Well??? Did we figure out what they were????
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Thanks

idk if anyone answered, but looks like you've got a mature MALE A.seemanni (costa rican zebra). how do i know? i see the orange spinneretts which can easily tell it's a CRZ.my adult female used to be brown,then the next time she shed,she turned black!! and i can see tibial spurs in the 2nd pic under his 1st pair legs.and plus i see a small abdomen along with the spurs so it's definitely a mature male.
    Last edited by Snakeman; 02-06-2007 at 05:40 PM.
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile....00001688532105
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 10: KoRn
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    October 19: Death Angel
    October 26 - Avenged Sevenfold, Deftones, Ghost
    October 28: Slayer
    November 8 - Nine Inch Nails
    November 15 - Kreator, Overkill, Warbringer
    November 27: In This Moment
    -Misael

Thanks

The pellets look like cricket food or something. Not something to have in a tarantula's container.
    The spider won't eat it and providing food for crickets inside a spider's container is a bad idea and a mess waiting to happen.

~Denise~
    0.1.0 MBK
    1.0.0 Bull snake
    1.0.0 Blue point Siamese
    1.0.0 Black/gray tabby
    1.0.0 husband
    1.4.0 Children

Thanks

i found some links:

adult female A.seemanni(black morph,the one i have): http://giantspiders.com/A_seemanni.html

adult male A.seemanni: http://giantspiders.com/A_seemanni_male.html

IF you're interested, I'm able to breed my female with your male.it'd be my 1st T breeding.
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    -Misael

Thanks

Could be A. seemani if the ventral side and spinnerettes are the right colors. But even at that, it's still not a 100% acurate ID.

~Denise~
    0.1.0 MBK
    1.0.0 Bull snake
    1.0.0 Blue point Siamese
    1.0.0 Black/gray tabby
    1.0.0 husband
    1.4.0 Children

Thanks

maybe so...i'd need to see a pic with the underside...if it's orange then most likely it's an A.seemanni.
    Upcoming concerts:
    October 11 - Bon Jovi
    -Misael

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowspider
    No, that's not why. Hybrid breeding tarantulas (inverts in general) is not like breeding dogs or cats. While you can breed a mastiff with a lab, you can not breed a Brachypelma with a Haplopelma just as an example.

Interbreeding different species doesn't work....they will kill each other.
    With some species that are *very* closely related (such as Brachypelma smithi and emilia) it is possible to get them to breed, but unlikely, however, B. smithi and vagans are not close enough in sub species to be able to breed...or even want to mate. Grammostola rosea and G. pulchra can not be successfully bred, even though they are in the same genus.

Hybrids are not the problem, killing each other is.
    Every species of tarantula has a particular method, if you will, of courting in addition to the pheromones they give off. If the pheromones and mating style of the male and female are not correct for the species, one will kill the other because it will be viewed as in intruder rather than a potential mate.
    Also, when tarantulas of the same genus family and close in sub species *are* successfully bred, the offspring tend to suffer from one or all of the following things:

Infertility
    Deformities
    Immature death
    While you are correct about many species killing each other, that is not the problem. Let's face it, after a successful breeding (or breedings) you are going to wind up with a dead male anyway. If the female doesn't get him, he will die anyway. There have been documented cases of crossbreeding among poecilotheria, although I believe there was a high mortality rate among the spiderlings. The fact of the matter is, the taxonomy is far enough from complete among theraphosidae, without muddying the waters with potential hybrids. There are species which were collected and described 90 years ago which are still sitting in jars of alcohol and haven't been examined. For example, I have read speculation that more than 50% of the tarantulas sold as a. clarki are likely a. hentzi. Can the two be interbred? I have no idea. There does seem to be some evidence that some species may crossbreed in the wild as well.
    Rats in the hold. Crew is dead, I fear the plague.....

Thanks

Hey, The pellet food everyone is talking about is just like flaked cricket food I put in too see if the spider would eat it. He didnt but the crickets did, but it's gone now anway. I payed $25 Canadian for the spider from a guy at a stall at a market. He told me it was a female rose hair. So obviously didnt know much. And I didnt keep the shedded skin, never thought too sorry.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast